Royal Purple research giving me a panic attack????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Use it with confidence. It's a good serviceable oil that is on a par with other mass-market synthetics. Since you got it for a good price, you've overcome the complaint that most of RP's detractors on BITOG have: overpriced for what it is.

If you had bought it for $15/quart when you could have gotten M1 for $9/qt, we would be saying you wasted your money.

Agreed $5 is a very good price. I can not complain that you overpaid.

Come up here and compare the regular price of M1 EP to RP. If price is the concern, one will be buying the RP, or waiting for a sale.

Another side note to Canadians: I found out today that London Drugs has better regular prices on oil than Walmart. You can actually buy five single litres of QSGB cheaper there than you can buy a five litre jug at WM.

Cutting-edge?
Valvoline Synthetic with purple dye is what some folks here say5 bucks a qt is about right and it will work fine

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Cutting-edge?
Valvoline Synthetic with purple dye is what some folks here say5 bucks a qt is about right and it will work fine

I think we'd be better served if we uderstood that the make-up of an oil is much more than what can be read from a VOA.

Last edited:
FWIW, all RP products except for their break-in oil are predominantly Group IV PAO based oil. I have exchanged plenty of emails with people at RP in the know that have verified this many times to me.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Cutting-edge?

I think we'd be better served if we uderstood that the make-up of an oil is much more than what can be read from a VOA.

I think we'd actually be better served if blenders were more forthcoming about basestocks and add pack components used.
Instead of promoting oils as in some way "best", maybe blenders should try telling us what makes their oil so desirable in something other than ad-speak?
Like Valvoline, RP neither produces basestock nor makes its own add packs.
Most motor oil blenders don't.
In this case, I wouldn't be at all surprised were Synpower and RP API SN blended with the same basestocks and the same add pack from, I'm guessing, Lubrizol, with the purple dye being the only additive that Synpower lacks.
Until and unless blenders start sharing the informtion that they already have, we can only judge the value of an oil based upon what we can observe, and that includes things beyond the metallic adds, like the measured cold temperature performance test results that you can get for most oils as well as HTHSV where that figure is given or maybe the calculated VI, which is information you can devlop for just about any oil based upon the 40C and 100C viscosities available for almost any oil.
If RP wants to publish a TDS showing us what makes this oil special, I think everyone would be happy to see it.
Meanwhile, we have only generalized fanboy talk as well as VOA/UOA results.
I should add that I don't intend this as a rap on RP alone, since not too many blenders give out any details of formulation that include basestock blends used as well as non-metallic adds.

Originally Posted By: ccapital83
So I was always under the impression it was a good oil from forum searches. Recently I was able to grab a ton for our civics on clearance at Wal-Mart for cheaper than any other full syn there. I couldn't pass it up plus again I thought it was a good syn. I re searched it today and see bad things people say is this true? I saw somethings about it like, getting thick in under 6,000 mile intervals, unusual wear, come on is it really that bad I though it was one of the better synthetics now I'm scared to run in our cars. If anyone has facts about this or personal experience id Love to hear your thoughts.

Where did you come across all of these bad research results? Let me guess, it was here at BITOG right? If so just ignore it because on this site RP does not get a fair shake. The FACT is most here who beat up on it have never even used it. They just Parrot myths and falsehoods or decide it is bad oil because ITO it costs too much( which I have shown on this forum for years is untrue - they just won't listen/believe ). Many even go out of their way to bash on it simply because it is purple. I mean who cares what color it is.

I have been telling people now for a couple years if you want to get feedback on RP go elsewhere unless you are good at sorting out the [censored] that will get shoveled here about it. Again, most who beat up on it haven't used it yet they post as if they know everything about RP. My take on your comments above is you researched RP on auto forums 1st and saw mainly positive results so you grabbed up a bunch when you got a deal on it. Then you came on here and started to read how awful RP is and now you are nervous. Is that correct? If so, again, just ignore the comments here. To get honest and real feedback on RP stick to the auto forums. Coming here for it is like going to the PETA website for reviews on a local Steakhouse. Just not wise.

I am a HUGE RP fan( admit it freely )and have used it since the early 90's. It is an excellent oil( all lines )and is made by a really good company. As long as the oil you bought meets any warranty requirements your vehicles may have use it and feel good about it. That RP API 0W20 is a very good oil!
thumbsup2.gif

Good luck with it.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Royal Purple what? HPS? ILSAC? ACEA?

They market many performance levels.

Wally World only carries their API approved oils for cars.

You can buy RP HPS at Wal-Mart. The ones near you may not have it but the ones here do. They have both the HPS line and the API line. HPS is approx. $1 a qt more and is only in 30weights.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Coming here for it is like going to the PETA website for reviews on a local Steakhouse. Just not wise.

I am a HUGE RP fan( admit it freely )and have used it since the early 90's. It is an excellent oil( all lines )and is made by a really good company. As long as the oil you bought meets any warranty requirements your vehicles may have use it and feel good about it. That RP API 0W20 is a very good oil!
thumbsup2.gif

PETA recommends Longhorn Steakhouse. Just sayin'.

Yes it would be nice to have some facts to back up why be a fan of RP. Most people just say its OK, probably no better than Pennz or Valv or M1 etc., in the absence of any non-emotional fanboy evidence.

Obviously the blender cares what color it is, or they wouldn't dye it purple.
Nobody is bashing on RP.
The API SN oil can be used as one would use any other API SN oil.
The additive pack for API SN RP shows nothing special and if there is anything special, then RP is hiding their light under a bushel since they aren't telling anybody about it.
Being a fan is one thing, but to complain that an oil showing no special additives or exceptional performance is somehow worth more at typical retail than the Synpower it so closely resembles requires a leap of faith, since no objective evidence I've seen supports that belief.
If you can enlighten us with something objective beyond the fact that you use RP, everybody here would love to see it, since everybody here would love to have a good excuse for buying a $37.00 jug of oil, which is what RP runs at normal retail.
If I run across some of this three buck a quart RP, I'll certainly buy it and run it.
No way I'd pay a 40% premium over M1 for the priviledge, though.
None of the above can be construed as bashing.
I'm merely stating objective fact.

Originally Posted By: fredfactory
Coming here for it is like going to the PETA website for reviews on a local Steakhouse. Just not wise.

thumbsup2.gif

Yes it would be nice to have some facts to back up why be a fan of RP. Most people just say its OK, probably no better than Pennz or Valv or M1 etc., in the absence of any non-emotional fanboy evidence.

"emotional fanboy evidence". Hmmm, insulting much you think?

I have used RP as my main oil for well over 20 years and that includes all of their formulas from the XPR racing( most limited personal experience with this formula )to the newest API line. The only one I haven't used is their new High Mileage oil. I have used it in daily drivers, work vehicles, muscle cars, and even high powered( 700HP + )drag racing bracket cars. Easy OCI's to EOCI's. I have had multiple UOA's done on it in a variety of vehicles and never got a bad one back. In 20+ years I have used it in every conceivable fashion you can with an automotive oil, in a car/truck, with nothing but excellent results. Have you ever used it or do you as you say base your opinion on "Most people just say its OK, probably no better than Pennz or Valv or M1 etc.,"?

I have to laugh when people start asking for facts on RP. It is a widely used tactic here because the naysayers know it is darn near impossible to do so and any facts you do provide they will just dismiss and ignore anyway. BITOG SOP for RP bashing. I mean there is only so much fact you can actually provide even if it is for a popular and well liked oil like PP or MIEP.

UOA's are one and I have done that in the past. VOA's are another BUT here at BITOG there is a double standard with VOA's. Many claim they only tell you so much and that the oil can actually perform well above what you might expect when it is their preferred brand in question, BUT, if it is RP then it will show RP to be inferior period. There just isn't really a lot you can provide that is fact the naysayers won't twist and/or ignore. Spec's an oil carries is another but that is also not a total given because many oil companies NOT just RP do not submit for testing for all spec's and they may well meet/exceed them. RP, like Amsoil as an example, is a small blender and can't afford to submit to all spec's for testing the way a huge company like ExxonMobil can. It doesn't mean RP is not as good if M1 has spec A and RP doesn't.

The hypocrisy on BITOG when it comes to RP is hilarious. People here fixate on VOA's showing RP to be similar to Valvoline Synpower( add pack )and use that to disparage RP all the time yet in other posts, where RP is not brought up, those same folks will say Synpower is a top notch excellent oil? So only one of the 2 oils they say are similar/the same using the VOA sheets is any good? Hmmm? Boy that is some factual thinking there that should put to rest forever any claims RP is good. They also ignore UOA's showing RP API performs well. RP detractors don't actually want any positive facts. They just want to call it trash and talk people out of using it. God forbid something they can't twist and manipulate, or just ignore and dismiss, ever surface. They wouldn't know what to do with themselves.

I, however, can pass on over 2 decades of actual hands on use with excellent results which should account for something and certainly should not be insultingly labeled as nothing but "emotional fanboy evidence". Just the typical arrogant and rude BITOG way of trying to dismiss anyone who dares speak positively about RP while also discrediting their views. My responses to personal insults may get emotional but it doesn't mean my experience with an oil is only emotional evidence.

I know if I was researching using a new oil I would place a lot more stock in comments from actual users( good or bad )than I would the ravings of non users who are just talking out their backsides. So, to all the RP detractors please provide us your hard facts that A) - prove RP is no good and not worth using and B) - provide hard facts that your oil of choice is a good product. You can't use "emotional fanboy evidence" like personal use with satisfactory results, you can't use any good UOA's, and you can't talk about what others use( i.e. popularity - M1EP is better because more people use it ). Just hard facts( whatever those are ). Let's see all those hard facts that show RP is bad and these other oils are so much better.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
Cutting-edge?

I wish more people on this board would think the way you do. Picking an oil by whats on paper is so rampant on BITOG that it makes me miss the old days of this forum.

Exactly, they judge an oil by an implicit narrow analysis based on what an oil analysis company tests for. Amsoil SS oil, RP HPS, Driven oil, Texas Refinery Corp. oils are some of the few oils I would use before most common off the shelf oils.

Texas Refinery Corp (TRC) has probably the best oils going (and greases), their high grade diesel oils, CI-4 and CJ-4's, have ultra high TBN's of 15+ and 14, respectively. TBN retention to boot.

This company does not advertise, however they make world class products.

Last edited:
Pareidolia and Apophenia cover most of marketing.

Any experience, objective or subjective, with Amsoil, LE or TRC?

A bit defensive about RP here, aren't we?

So if RP is no better or no worse than other oils, why pay the premium?

It's certainly your perogative to buy what you want.

But if there is no definitive proof that RP is "better", why pay a premium of 50% to 100% more for the privilege of using it?

The same can be said for "boutique" oils from any blender or manufacturer.

Is it innovation, superior base stocks, more horsepower, or slick marketing that you are paying for?

Originally Posted By: fredfactory

"emotional fanboy evidence". Hmmm, insulting much you think?

I have used RP as my main oil for well over 20 years and that includes all of their formulas from the XPR racing( most limited personal experience with this formula )to the newest API line. The only one I haven't used is their new High Mileage oil. ................

I apologize if you think I was insulting, not intended. (You do agree with PETA's choice of Longhorn I hope??)

I like something factual. For example, one can point to the double layer synthetic media in a Fram Ultra and their ability to get out 80% of 5 micron and bigger particles, as a reason to be a fan boy of Fram Ultra, I am!!! Show me a better product and I'll switch allegiance.

I do think that your 20 years of rich experience could have been just as well served by any big name synthetic such as Pennz, Valv, Amsoil, Mobil, Castrol, Quaker, Shell, Havoline, Chevron, as they all make oils which almost always turn in great UOAs and all have teams of scientists & techies making them very good products. Just looking at evidence over many years. Little pieces of evidence come in from time to time. One is http://www.blackstone-labs.com/Newsletters/Gas-Diesel/July-1-2014.php ..... It means I might NOT pick Mobil products because of that and some past negative stuff I've seen from time to time, the facts do keep piling up against Mobil, even though its still not that bad of an oil, just not my choice.

You mean you wish more people picked an oil based on website testimonials, random emails with the company, emotion, and because your engine "likes" it?

Use what you want, but I'll take a manufacturer's PDS any day over the things I listed. And BTW it isn't based on a UOA or VOA either.

Originally Posted By: deven
I wish more people on this board would think the way you do. Picking an oil by whats on paper is so rampant on BITOG that it makes me miss the old days of this forum.

I don't think that anyone here said that RP was "no good and not worth using" as you wrote above.
I know I didn't.
It comes down to a question of price versus value.
RP API SN at $15.00/jug or even the $21.00/jug some Walmarts have it at is as good as anything else you'll find at $26.00/jug.
It isn't good enough to justify a price of $37.00/jug without some real data to make that price seem like a good value.
You haven't presented any of what you call hard facts in your post.
You've instead said that you've used RP for decades and have had good experience with it.
That should put to rest any claims that RP is an inferior oil.
There are other members here who've stuck with one brand of oil for as long or longer, though, who also report good results.
Therefore, RP has done as well in your experience as other oils have done in the experience of others.
The only question is whether RP is superior to other API SN synthetic oils, which would be required to justify the higher regular price relative to M1, PP, Synpower, Edge or whatever other API SN oil you'd care to name.
There is no data to indicate that it is.
While I'm sure that RP is just as capable as any other synthetic oil on the shelves of Walmart, I'm not sure that the price premium it commands makes any sense from a value perspective.
If it's worth it to you, great.
It's obviously worth it to enough people to keep the company in business.
As I noted in a post above, if I can score some cheap clearance RP, I'll certainly give it a try.
I might even like it well enough to start buying it at regular price.
I'll also note that I've never bought any oil new to me at anything close to regular price, but I've tried them all when they've been available on some kind of a deal.
I'd like to add RP to the list of oils I've tried in use.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
A bit defensive about RP here, aren't we?

So if RP is no better or no worse than other oils, why pay the premium?

It's certainly your perogative to buy what you want.

But if there is no definitive proof that RP is "better", why pay a premium of 50% to 100% more for the privilege of using it?

The same can be said for "boutique" oils from any blender or manufacturer.

Is it innovation, superior base stocks, more horsepower, or slick marketing that you are paying for?

If this is directed at me...?

1 - You can't group all of the RP lines under one generic "cost too much" label. You need to specify which line you are referring to? the API line, the HPS line, the XPR line, etc... Comparing the cost of RP XPR or HPS to the cost of PU, PP, M1, etc... is not an accurate comparison. Those oils are comparable to oils like Amsoil's Signature Series oils( HPS )or their Dominator Series( XPR ) and Redline. Specialty, high end, boutique oils. They will cost more but you get more.

2 - As far as RP API costing 50-100% more than other oils I will apply that to the average name brand synthetic oils everyone knows about and uses( M1, PP/PU, QS, VVL, etc... ). IF you are talking comparing it to the cost of conventional oils then I don't know what to say to that as it is an unfair comparison. Don't forget as well that RP API, like most of their other oils, is a Grp IV PAO based oil unlike most name brand synthetics that are Grp III which are cheaper to make. RP is also a small blender not a huge oil giant like Exxon Mobil so they don't have the ability to sell as cheap as EM and other big companies can.

To say that RP API costs that much more is not accurate AT ALL and I have shown it here time and time again but people refuse to listen. There is a whole world out there besides the oil aisle at Wal-Mart. In individual qt bottles RP is no more expensive, on the whole, than the name brand oils at Wal-Mart and at parts stores. As far as the 5qt jug deals from Wal-Mart go you can come close, match, or even best the p/qt price if you look around.

I have many sources where I pay regular retail for RP where it comes in near, at, or even less than Wal-Mart 5qt jug prices( the Holy Grail on BITOG ). I have posted the cost before( $4.80-$6 p/qt in the last couple years ). Depends on where I buy it and how much at one time I buy. I got it for $4.80 p/qt( 5W20 API )not long ago when I bought a couple cases from a local speed shop.

I understand not everyone has local sources where it is cheap. You can usually find decent online pricing for it though with free shipping. It may run a bit more certainly but not 50-100% more. That is pure exaggeration. That is taking individual qt bottle costs of RP at $10 a qt and comparing it to the 5qt just p/qt price from Wal-Mart which is around $5+ p/qt.

3 - Why does anyone use the oil they do? For some they grab whatever is cheapest and they don't care while others use oils they feel are high quality and provide benefits without cost being the deciding factor as it seems to be for so many here. I use RP based on decades of good results, because it does a very good job at it's job, and I have no reason to change. I started using it when I was young and heavily into muscle cars and hot rods and it was definitely a superior product( base stock, additives, wear protection, etc... ). I have continued using it even after getting out of that side of the automotive world because RP oils are a quality product and that is what I want to use. I like how my vehicles run with it( smooth and quiet )and I get good results( i.e. protection and wear ).

It amazes me the way people at this site are so bent on speaking negative about RP at every chance they get. I don't understand the vendetta. I don't say don't use brand X and trash it at every opportunity( and I could )but for some reason my choice of oil is constantly attacked and in those attacks a lot of insults and personal slights are cast my way/at RP users and it gets real old.

If people truly don't care what others use then why does EVERY RP thread turn into a bash fest? I realize that this thread started with the OP asking question about RP quality and should he use it. However, how many people who responded negatively have any experience at all to back up the rhetoric?

The RP bashing here just goes too far. NO respect for the product( based on NOTHING! )and NO respect for those who use it.

Last edited:
....................................... I started using it when I was young and heavily into muscle cars and hot rods and it was definitely a superior product( base stock, additives, wear protection, etc... ). I have continued using it even after getting out of that side of the automotive world because RP oils are a quality product and that is what I want to use. I like how my vehicles run with it( smooth and quiet )and I get good results( i.e. protection and wear ).

The RP bashing here just goes too far. NO respect for the product( based on NOTHING! )and no respect for those who sue it.

First of all, RP came into existence in 1986, at a time when Mobil1 and Amsoil was dominant in the synthetic world. I doubt if RP was better than those two at that time. And when Pennz, Havoline, Valvo, Castrol etc. came on the market, RP still failed to distinguish itself.

The fact that your engines are "smooth and quiet" etc. doesn't mean any good synth oil from 1986 to the present wouldn't have given you the same results.

One fact thats kind of cool about RP is from http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a8715/royal-purple-its-the-additives-stupid/ where they point out that RP makes its own additives. While that is cool, I actually think getting an additive package from Lubrizol or Afton results in a high quality synth oil too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back