Here is a sound bar recommendation - JBL BAR 500

Can I please recommend a sound bar for those who want to keep things simple? We purchased it months ago, as we downsized into a new home, I didnt want our large audio system anymore that contained 6 rather large speakers. Was a great system for a large area with 16 foot ceilings but that is in the past.

Anyway, I researched a lot, we purchased and returned quite a few, some were over $1000 Sony 7000 and lessor 5000, some others based on a recommendation in here when I asked.

To our surprise HANDS Down the winner was a JBL BAR 500 as someone here recommended and the price was almost stupid inexpensive.
Just for the record I could care less of the price as long as its less then $1,300 or so. This one on sale was like $400/499 and I could not wrap my head around how much we enjoyed the sound more with it versus anything we tried at any cost.
We did not try the Sonos ARC though. I couldn't bring myself to want a sound bar that has not been upgraded for a couple years now @ $700 plus. There was nothing about it that impressed me, it doesnt even have bluetooth, though to repeat, we didnt try it out in the house like we did the others. Im sure it's great too if you dont care about not having bluetooth.

Freaking Bar 500 is amazing for a sound bar and as close to surround that you will get with no rear speakers. I think our room is ideal for it too. It has 11 foot ceilings and the room is about 16 x 16. The TV wall has the bar close to perfectly centered, the bass unit is wireless and can go anyplace in the room, its behind the chair in this photo. It's shocking how the sound seems to come from the side of the room by the top right and left wall when called for, yet there are no speakers there, only the bar and subwoofer.
To give an idea, when called for, sound comes from the top area of the slide wall where you see that ceiling light. The same happens on the other wall. Its bounced there by the sound bar under the TV. Im used to it now but at first I was always looking up at the side walls looking for the speakers.

Im a perfectionist at times, I never thought I would own a sound bar, wow was I ever wrong. This is for REALLY good movie/TV sound. For music only it's ok but dont kid yourself as Im not so sure any sound bar can compete with an audio system made for music. Im also not saying this is better than a true surround system. I am saying it's a great system for its intended purpose and will play VERY loudly for movie content in a room about this size.

Anyway, thought this might be the right time to post this during the holidays.

IMG_6269.JPG

Last edited:
At a different price point as someone who was previously disappointed by many soundbars

I am very happy with the Costco bought $199

Samsung HW-Q7CB 3.1.2 Channel Soundbar With Up-Firing Speakers Featuring Dolby Atmos​

Early models had firmware bug.. which resulted in many poor reviews.. That was all fixed up.
only oddity is bluetooth music streaming from phone sounds poor.
Same music played on TV through soundbar sounds great.

Note the non costco model number is Samsung HW-Q700B

Its worth every penny of $200! and then some.

Last edited:
Have the early version of the JBL system and couldn't agree with you more. great with movies, that 10" sub really kicks, during the day we have Pandora on as back round music. ;)
1702752065240.jpg

Have the early version of the JBL system and couldn't agree with you more. great with movies, that 10" sub really kicks, during the day we have Pandora on as back round music. ;)
View attachment 193287
Yes, I remember now, I think it was you and one other that we discussed this many months ago!
It really is amazing, also was an impressive YouTube on it from someone as well as other online sources.

Back