Royal Purple research giving me a panic attack????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who would have thank an oil named "ROYAL PURPLE" would get any market traction.

Must be the Bottle colour
smile.gif

Doesn't Valv-0-Line have some Blue dyed VR-1 racing oil for less $$? Royal Blue?

King%252BWillem%252BAlexander%252BQueen%252BMaxima%252Battend%252BsJoZCiOzvSzx.jpg

I also grabbed the last two quarts of royal purple at Walmart on the clearance rack for only 3 dollars a quart. I'm wondering how it is,. I hope to see more cheap royal purple soon!

It's a great synthetic just expensive I also got in on the walmart clearance 16 quarts worth it was 30 for the 5 quart jugs and 5 for the singles

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
It's a great oil! Competitively priced pao synth,as every one I've seen is always $10+ a quart.

How do we know it has any PAO in it? Their MSDS's are horrific and so are their PDS's
21.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
It's a great oil! Competitively priced pao synth,as every one I've seen is always $10+ a quart.

How do we know it has any PAO in it? Their MSDS's are horrific and so are their PDS's
21.gif

Guess I was just taking their word for it haha :p

But you really may be right,they told me it was pao way before Calumet bought them out,so their formula and base stock may be completely different.

Not any better than Mobil I or Pennzoil Ultra. Some individuals think they are getting a better oil because they pay more for it. Overpriced and over rated.

Originally Posted By: ccapital83
So I was always under the impression it was a good oil from forum searches. Recently I was able to grab a ton for our civics on clearance at Wal-Mart for cheaper than any other full syn there. I couldn't pass it up plus again I thought it was a good syn. I re searched it today and see bad things people say is this true? I saw somethings about it like, getting thick in under 6,000 mile intervals, unusual wear, come on is it really that bad I though it was one of the better synthetics now I'm scared to run in our cars. If anyone has facts about this or personal experience id Love to hear your thoughts.

It is a terrible oil and guaranteed to kill any engine quickly. Dude, i feel so bad for you that I'm willing to give you $1 per quart to take it off your hands.

Originally Posted By: robo339
It's a great synthetic just expensive I also got in on the walmart clearance 16 quarts worth it was 30 for the 5 quart jugs and 5 for the singles

The singles were cheaper than the 5 quart jugs (per quart)?????

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

21.gif

But it has purple dye added to it, all a person needs to know to understand its better....

CC

I don’t really deal with automotive lubricants (other than for personal use) but I deal with RP in the industrial side. I do have issues with them (and have run them out of facilities) due to what I consider “less than ethical” marketing schemes and statements and direct sales practices from some of their agents and attacks against other vendors but that’s a human and business issue, not a testament of product performance.

(I know they got popped on their automotive side by BP a few years ago and I know from experience their cut sheets and product naming schema give a “perception” of possible deception.)

As far as the actual product, RP is as good as any, better than some, worse than others. (Fill that in any way you wish) There is no danger whatsoever from using it or any other fit for purpose graded lubricant.

Friendly advice here

The reality is that whether its oil or whatever, the capabilities of a given “thing” are always secondary to the overall reliability of a given asset. The single most important factors in any machine are a fit for purpose application and operation within the design envelope. That asset operation strategy coupled with a proper, timely maintenance program that identifies issues in the earliest stages then addresses them quickly rather than letting the trouble grow and spread will deliver you more reliability, asset longevity and lower operating costs than all the emu juice with synthetic reptile by products ever will.

Don’t get so caught up in the minutiae that perfection becomes the enemy of practical. There is no “supreme” all powerful lubricant. There is no magic formula or ingredient. (Not to say there are not operating extremes that do require certain recipes but those are the minority)

You follow that model and you will soon discover that any quality product will work.

I venture to say that well over 95% of product claims on forums as well as some studies (some have a really terrible make up and method in their design of experiments) are more based on pareidolia, confirmation bias, suspension of disbelief and downright subjective reasoning rather than a properly designed and application specific test conducted by the scientific method and falsified to identify and capture specific relevant data.

Take them with a grain of salt.

So, fear not and run your RP and worry about something requiring worrying- this subject ain’t it

This is a decent oil and I'd not hesitate to use it.
I think five bucks a quart is more than I'd pay for it, since while it is a perfectly decent oil it isn't anything special, but you did get it at a huge discount off typical retail and it should do just fine in your Civics (one or two of them?) for OCIs per the MM.
Use it with confidence and enjoy the unusual dye color as you pour it in.

Originally Posted By: ISO55000

I venture to say that well over 95% of product claims on forums as well as some studies (some have a really terrible make up and method in their design of experiments) are more based on pareidolia, confirmation bias, suspension of disbelief and downright subjective reasoning rather than a properly designed and application specific test conducted by the scientific method and falsified to identify and capture specific relevant data.

I just learned a new word: pareidolia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia .
I least I think I did, might have been seeing something that wasn't there.....

Its the basis for almost all marketing and bitog conclusions!

I would use it without hesitation. Even it's APi, which i don't believe requires a qualifier when discussing RP like other's do here.

It'll be absolutely fine. What you've come across in your research is fear mongering by the competition. One may not like the price of RP, or the color, or whatever, but it meets the specifications advertised and will do just fine.

Originally Posted By: fredfactory
Originally Posted By: robo339

The singles were cheaper than the 5 quart jugs (per quart)?????

My local Walmart clearance on RP is similarly priced, $5 quart bottle and $30 5-qt jug. Who would pay $6/qt for the jug ?

Agreed, it's a fine oil. Their HPS line of oil is like Amsoil's Signature Series oils, expensive additive pack, high TBN, and not an API 'certified' oil, as API standards don't really allow the 'cutting edge' of oil design.

Originally Posted By: zpinch
Agreed, it's a fine oil. Their HPS line of oil is like Amsoil's Signature Series oils, expensive additive pack, high TBN, and not an API 'certified' oil, as API standards don't really allow the 'cutting edge' of oil design.

Which is why (IMHO) most of the best (Euro) oils don't:

A) have much in the way of API restrictions on them
B) When approved, adhere to "outdated" API specs because they are irrelevant and less restrictive

Two good examples:

A) Mobil 1 0w-40
B) Motul 0w-30 (API SL) that I recently purchased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back