Rotella Syn 5W-40, 3651 miles, 05 Subaru Legacy GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first UOA done on my wife's car. The car has been running the Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 CI+ for the past 6 oil changes, each around 3500 miles. Currently trying out the CJ-4 formulation and will get another UOA when it comes out.

The high fuel is likely due to pulling it out of the garage and driving it down to the shop and letting it idle for a few minutes without getting up to temperature before taking the sample.

There are just over 70K miles on the engine, the engine has no modifications other than a K&N panel filter.

d69089.jpg

You could easily go 5,000 and more likely 7,500 to 10,000 miles with Rotella 5w-40 in this engine. Try getting a TBN next time at 7500 miles.

Looks perfect. I

Look how well your engine has done for 70k. Continue the short ocis. You could use 4k for a nice round #.

You don't need 40 wt in that subie unless if its turboed it might be OK. I would rather see you go to say WallyWorld Supertech Syn. and go at least 7500 miles.

Al, the GT IS turbo. All GT-trim Legacies are turbo.
I'm changing my oil today and I've almost entirely convinced myself to go with this Rotella stuff.

Last edited:
I'm using this in my Honda VTX 1300R and love to see that low moly
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for posting! This is the perfect MC oil

Goose
34.gif

great report. Spend a little more time burning that fuel off next time and your flash should jump
wink.gif

This oil apparently does very good in her car and we still get 26-27 mpg consistently according to the onboard computer. Most of the driving is to/from work which is about 1/3 city and 2/3 highway.

I have been using this oil in my bikes as well (3 sportbikes) and recently took a sample out of one after 3000 miles to see how well it holds up. I am betting the bike will shear it down to a 30 weight with 3000 miles on it.

I can't believe how well this oil does in everything. It's almost like the 'best all around' oil. It can be used in ATV's, motorcycles, tractors, cars, trucks, and probably to marinate steak. Sorry, I'm hungry. And the price is low for a synthetic.

Originally Posted By: fishbone
Al, the GT IS turbo. All GT-trim Legacies are turbo.

GT-trim Legacies from 2005 and later are turbo.
55.gif

Nice report but drive the car more to burn off the fuel.
19.gif
I would also push the OCI farther if it were me.

-Dennis

Last edited:
I use the OEM sized Purolator PureOne filter PL14612 which coincidentally also fits all three motorcycles.

Getbent - Great UOA; I'm switching to RTS 5w40 after my PP5w30 stock runs out. Turbo subarus have a long history of tearing apart oils via UOA.....we have a short history of great oils (redline, rotella, a few others). I'd like to see more.

FYI, PL14610 has the same specs as PL14612, but the 610 has an extra 1/2" of height. I started using it on the LGT about 10k miles ago with no issues.

Joe

Originally Posted By: getbent
I have been using this oil in my bikes as well (3 sportbikes) and recently took a sample out of one after 3000 miles to see how well it holds up. I am betting the bike will shear it down to a 30 weight with 3000 miles on it.

Why?

I worry because I'm thinking of switching from the dino 15W-40 HDEO to the synth. Rotella 5W-40 in my VR-4 ... which is certainly not easy on oil. I haven't done any UOAs at my power level yet so naturally I worry when I read that you think it'll shear quickly.
frown.gif

Here is another UOA from some Rotella-T Synthetic 5W40 CJ-4 this time:

d76982.png

Looks nearly identical to the CI-4+ as far as wear and shear stability are concerned.

Next up Mobil 1 TDT 5W40 (in about 3500 more miles).

This is a turbo. Subaru ..with their fine screen in line filter for the turbo, limits OCI's to 3750.

Insolubles caught my eye because I've noticed with other Subaru UOAs from this engine, insoluables always show up as 0.2~0.3% regardless of oil filter, OCI, or oil brand. I've been paying attention to insolubles, especially with anyone that posts a UOA with a long OCI. I haven't noticed users of the OEM filter with the 23psi bypass pressure spec have lower insoluble numbers compared to PureOne users for example.

I hope to post a UOA of PP 5w30 with >4k miles soon using a PureOne filter. Maybe I'll use a WIX the next time around and sample that as well just to see what a range of filter bypass pressure specs actually reveal (if anything) on a UOA.

I'd really like to see more of these:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1361791#Post1361791

If I can get these numbers with a 8k OCI, then I'm sold on Rotella!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
This is a turbo. Subaru ..with their fine screen in line filter for the turbo, limits OCI's to 3750.

Gary - I've studied this a bit and I don't think that statement (often made) is accurate. Subaru DID cut their recommended OCI for dino oil to 3750 miles on their turbo units. IMHO, it's because 7500 miles was destroying dinos.

However, in a post-warranty model like this I don't see any reason to limit the OCIs when running synthetic. If the oil is holding up, and there's no little debris/sludge in the system, then whether you run a 3750 mile OCI or 10000 mile OCI, the screen is going to pick-up the same stuff and get clogged, or not.

Just my .02

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back