Rislone oil additive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I just added some Rislone to the engine of my 96 Audi A4. Why you may ask? Historically the car has had regular castrol GTX 5w30 but the mileage intervals have been rather long for conventional oil. I bought the car from a family friend and it has all the maintenance records.

Looking under the oil cap I could see a fair amount of sludge so I figured I'd add some. Is Rislone any good? I added during my most recent oil change using a Mann filter and Supertech full synthetic 10w30.

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. I've heard great things about AutoRX. I guess I was just being cheap.

I remember some rislone discussion from a long while back.. and a UOA revealing that it was nothing more than a thin oil... had less usefull addatives than a regular quart of oil...

however... ATF is also very slim on typical oil addatives- but there is something about it... some say it has more cleaning power than a regular motor oil.

If I had big money- I'd set up a whole bunch of real world tests and find out what really works, lol.

Yeah wouldn't that be good! We could all put to rest what works and what doesn't.

I just ordered some autoRX.
smile.gif

The big argument put forth by the pro rislone guys is that it has things that don't show on an oil analysis. No one has ever said what those are though.

I've been using the Rislone additive concentrate for the past 500-600 miles as a pre-oil change gentle flush. I don't know if it did anything, but I can tell you it did not do any of the harmful things some people here say it will do. I'm going to use it again when I'm about 700 miles away from my next oil change.

Rislone is good.
Use it for the entire interval(3k/3mo).

What engine, mileage, maintenance history???

Engine: Audi 2.8L 12v V6

Mileage 96k

Service history: oil change about every 7500k (too long IMO)

I gave up on Rislone a long time ago. I only used it a few times. Pretty much all I believe in today is Auto-RX. I think there is plenty of evidence that Auto-RX works. But if a guy did regular oil changes with a good brand of conventional oil or reasonable oil changes with a good brand of synthetic oil you could probably drive a car or truck hundreds of thousands of miles with no problems. I just like the idea of a clean engine.

The Rislone 15oz treatment is on sale at my local Kragen's for $2.99. I'm tempted to try it for a 700 mile end of OCI "flush".

55 - do you drain any oil to make room for it? I don't think I want to overfill by just adding it. Although my sump is only 3.5 qts, so I may just use half the bottle now, then the other half at the next OCI.

Pics would be a pain, and I'd stand a chance at causing my VC gasket to leak when it's doing fine right now. I might try and do compression readings before/after, though.

Before and after pics or compression readings would be interesting. I have a feeling that it won't change much if anything. I haven't noticed my top end sludge going anywhere.

I didn't make any extra room for it, the level on the dipstick rose by a milimeter if that. I could forsee making a bit of room if you were going with the fullsize bottle though.

Rislone has had some interesting products. They of course had their high detergent products that were supposed to clean up the internals of engines. They had one such product that was not a full quart of oil but rather a smaller container.

They had a product that was supposed to turn a conventional oil into somewhat of a part synthetic oil.

And they had a product that was supposed to make it possible for conventional oil to flow much more quickly in the wintertime.

But I have not heard much about their products recently. Somebody a while back did a test of their detergent engine cleaning product and supposedly it was basically just oil with a small amount of additive.

Quote:

But I have not heard much about their products recently. Somebody a while back did a test of their detergent engine cleaning product and supposedly it was basically just oil with a small amount of additive.

So therefor it probably contains nothing terribly harmful. I mean, if if supposedly has nothing in it, then it wouldn't contain harmful components.

Quote:

Quote:

Well, water has nothing in it, but ....

Anyway, I ran Rislone for 25 years, a quart every oil change and it did no harm that I am aware of. I don't use it now, but I see no harm. Not sure if it does any good either though. If you are going to use it, I would suggest the concentrated form as it is supposed to have all the goodies of the quart, just less base oil.

So therefor it probably contains nothing terribly harmful. I mean, if if supposedly has nothing in it, then it wouldn't contain harmful components.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back