Rev Match Every Down Shift?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those of you who drive/have driven a stick, did you typically rev match every down shift?

For a while I was double clutch rev matching every down shift. Lately I have stopped however.. If I'm slowing down to take a curve I'll typically drop to a lower gear at about 1200~ rpm which puts me into the next gear at about 1600 rpm. There is little to no 'jerk' and I'm not using gas to rev match. I still rev match if I need a lower gear to gain speed to avoid a hard jerk due to the higher rpms.

I feel like my current habit is more economical than rev matching every down shift.. But maybe I am putting more wear on my clutch than I realize?

What are your thoughts bitog?

Syncros these days are very effective/efficient...at least they've been in my last 3 cars, 2 altimas and the camry driven close to 300k miles...

If I'm in a high gear at a low RPM, and planning on downshifting to adjacent lower gear's higher end of cruising RMPs (e.g.from 4th to 3rd at 40mph, the higher end of 3rd's comfort zone), I generally don't double clutch...though I will goose/nudge the accelerator just a bit between notches for a smooth downshift...

I will double clutch if I have to downshift TWO gears though...though I've had to do that only very rarely.

Last edited:
I have never driven anything but manual transmission cars. And I have never ones used double clutch. If I downshift from let's say 5 to 3 gear in a quick takeover. I usually floor the gas pedal at the same time I drop the cluch. That makes good smooth shifts without any jerks.

My synchros are shot in 1st and 2nd, so, yes, into those gears. This habit carries over if I'm driving a car with good ones.

I don't double clutch and let the synchros do their work. As for rev. matching I do it when I know the next lower gear will put me around 1600k RPM or higher for a smooth downshift. Below 1600RPM I don't rev. match and just engage the clutch a bit slower to allow for a bit of slip.

I rev match every downshift, but only single-clutch it. I used to do double-clutching, but gave it up to save time between shifts.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I don't double clutch and let the synchros do their work. As for rev. matching I do it when I know the next lower gear will put me around 1600k RPM or higher for a smooth downshift. Below 1600RPM I don't rev. match and just engage the clutch a bit slower to allow for a bit of slip.

Man that thing is spinning fast!

I do. Not race car or truck. I'd rather use my throttle to speed my engine up than my clutch.

The two vehicles I learned to drive manual on were a F250 with really worn out transmission (had to be double clutched) and a Peterbilt 379.

As a result of learning partially on a class 8 tractor, I never press the clutch fully to the floor when moving.

Originally Posted By: CHARLIEBRONSON21
Originally Posted By: KrisZ

Man that thing is spinning fast!

That's when the v-tak kicks in yo!
lol.gif

If I wanted to make a downshift with a big speed / rpm difference, I might do that. Usually I just downshift to make the engine speed more reasonably close to match my road speed.

Brakes are a lot cheaper than clutches, so I don't downshift to control speed, etc.

I downshift often but usually not too aggressively.

I rarely rev match. My thinking is, the interaction (scrubbing)of the clutch/pressure plate is opposite of normal acceleration. I believe the opposite rubbing is likely healthy for the friction surfaces...reducing crystallization perhaps.

I've been doing this for a looong time and have never worn out a clutch yet. I've grenaded a couple but not due to downshifting.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Every. Single. Downshift. Double-clutched and blipped (if not also rev-matched). No exceptions.

Originally Posted By: datech
If I wanted to make a downshift with a big speed / rpm difference, I might do that. Usually I just downshift to make the engine speed more reasonably close to match my road speed.

Brakes are a lot cheaper than clutches, so I don't downshift to control speed, etc.

The same words of wisdom I heard from my father 50 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back