Response from Castrol on GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by SSDude:
They are as clueless as the AutoZone employees.
pat.gif

LOL.......You got that right!
lol.gif

quote:

You can rest assured that Castrol SYNTEC 0w-30 available in North
America, is the exact same product as Castrol SYNTEC 0w-30 manufactured
in Germany.

This quote from Castrol is correct. I went to an Autozone a few weeks ago and notice they had new bottles of 0W-30. They didn't have the "yellow" label like the old oil made in NA. It was red, same as GC. I popped the cap and took a peak. The oil was green and smelled the same as the "Made in Germany" stuff, but the label read "Made in North America." I think this oil is being made here now OR it is still imported from Germany, but the label says otherwise.
I promised Patman I would buy some and do a VOA. I haven't got a chance yet though. I'll see if I can buy some tomorrow.

Rick

EDIT: Oh yeah....the "new" oil I speak of had ALL the same ratings as GC (A3, etc)

Probally Castrol wants to give the impression that all 0w-30 is the same for a few reasons. One is they want to close-out the old stock without creating an urban legend that "some of it is bad some not" stuff. They also want to make a smooth transition to whatever N.A. 0w-30 SM/GF-4 A3 MB 229.3/5 formula they ultimately adopt. That is the reason for the monolithic party line of "all the same". I just want my GC for $3.99/q.
frown.gif

PS the red-label N.A. 0w-30 I checked out had no specs other than SL and was amber with a Delvac-1 smell.

quote:

There are many forums on the internet and these are often the result of seemingly knowledgeable persons offering so called "expert information" to those that aren't.

i knew i shouldnt of been listening to you so-called experts!
lol.gif

btw, my autozone ran out of GC also. i just found some really old US made syntec. but i dont have to worry b/c almost all the autozones in LA have GC.

Haven't seen any NA 0w30 before. I just bought GC at Walmart for my next change. It's $7.12 a liter here but so was all the other synth exept Synpower ($6.56) and Tech2000. I haven't found any 0w30 Castrol NA or GC at any Crappy Tire yet.
canada.gif

quote:

Originally posted by SSDude:
They are as clueless as the AutoZone employees.
pat.gif

I worked a few weeks at a parts store and pretty much thought the same thing about everyone that walked in the door.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by azoner2:
lets not lump all autozone emplyees into on large group there are idiots in every crowd

No, lets do. I have not met a smart or motivated one yet. hough why they would be motivated to search for bottles of the same oil for a different label beats me
lol.gif

"Uh, I asked my manager, he says we don't carry that oil, but we have Mobil 1 10-30" x 546

Why is the N.A. Syntec 0w-30 the ONLY oil on the shelves (at least in my area) that is ALWAYS covered in dust?

fruit.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ZiTS:
Why is the N.A. Syntec 0w-30 the ONLY oil on the shelves (at least in my area) that is ALWAYS covered in dust?

fruit.gif

To provide successful GC hunters a quick way to screen which bottles are even worth examining. I have so darned much GC now that I won't even bother looking at a dusty bottle of it.
grin.gif
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ZiTS:

fruit.gif

I'd wager because Ohio weather doesn't call for 0W30.

But then why do we have vast quantities of the stuff all along the blazing hot Gulf Coast. It does get kinda cold in winter, but nothing that mandates a 0w-x oil. Maybe this gets back to the intellectual horsepower of the folks at AZ. . . Hmmmm, maybe I shouldn't bite the hand that feeds me the exalted green elixir.
rolleyes.gif

quote:

You can rest assured that Castrol SYNTEC 0w-30 available in North America, is the exact same product as Castrol SYNTEC 0w-30 manufactured
in Germany.

That's interesting. Later in their email, the Castrol folks contradict themselves, saying that the formulations may differ. But that's pretty subjective, I'll admit. Want some objective indication of how different the two formulations are? Check out this UOA with side-by-side comparisons of GC, yellow label, and a Red Line Product (click here ). Very different additive packages. I'm feeling a little conflicted -- I really like GC, but Castrol folks seem to be the most incredible (literally) habitual liars I've ever seen. . .
rolleyes.gif

quote:

I'd wager because Ohio weather doesn't call for 0W30.

I don't think that's it. Mobil 1 0w-20, 0w-30 and 0w-40 don't have this problem, nor does GC 0w-30.

Conversely, Ohio weather probably doesn't call for a 15w-40 or 20w-50 weight either, but these grades of oil bottles certainly don't have a layer of dust on them.

Z-

Private Blokey of GC Special Teams here to report that another AutoZone has just been cleared of all of its GC!!
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back