Reporter/cameraman killed

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other day I was in a redneck country gas station. Some guy was filling his rusty F-150 pickup and had a handgun on his side. He kept looking at my direction and seemed like quite an intimidating situation.

So I'm like... I have my handgun in the trunk of my BMW, should I take it out and stick it under my belt for him to stop looking at me?

I didn't and we went our separate ways shortly after.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
So I'm like... I have my handgun in the trunk of my BMW, should I take it out and stick it under my belt for him to stop looking at me?

Do that only if your gun is bigger than his.

Originally Posted By: edhackett
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Al, just an FYI, but we have the right to self defence up here and a version of Castle Doctrine. A local man recently defended himself and his home against an armed home invader with his 12-gauge, shooting him dead, and no charges were laid as it was deemed proportionate to the threat.

What we can't do is walk around with hand guns and our laws regarding them, and other guns that fall under the "restricted" category, are as the name would imply, quite restrictive. This is significantly different than the laws that apply to a gun that is unrestricted like a rifle or shotgun.

Was the home invader armed with a rifle or shotgun, or did he have a handgun?

Ed

Initial story:
http://www.mykawartha.com/news-story/573...kill-homeowner/

Follow-up with some more details: (but no naming of what the weapon was)
http://www.torontosun.com/2015/07/18/intruder-killed-inside-kawartha-lakes-home

And further follow-up indicating that no charges were being levied and that the case was closed:
http://www.therecord.com/news-story/5789...nd-dead-update/

They never state what the perp was carrying, it may just have been a knife but it certainly could also have been a firearm.

The other day I was in a redneck country gas station. Some guy was filling his rusty F-150 pickup and had a handgun on his side. He kept looking at my direction and seemed like quite an intimidating situation.

He was just wondering what kind of vehicle you were driving.

Open carry is legal and fine in my state however our residents (well educated) are way above such things. The folks who like to show off their rights come from other states to show us how its done.
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: buster
Most people that own a gun can't even use it correctly. Get a baseball bat and improve your home security system or make your house more safe. More guns clearly are not the answer.

Oh sure he says more guns aren't the answer, but actions speak louder than words..

79652d1358382265-new-ny-gun-law-photo.jpg

http://www.vox.com/2015/8/24/9183525/gun-violence-statistics

We love guns, plain and simple LOL.

Nice piece of propaganda, but that is all that it is. Why does being an "advanced country" matter? Only because is lets them leave out the worst countries:
http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/stats/Crime/Murders-with-firearms-per-million
Russia and Brazil aren't even on that list. Russia has 60% more murders than in the US with very strict gun control.

Brazil has a tiny amount of guns compared to the US with 6 times the homicide rate:
http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/Brazil/United-States/Crime

As for the "mass shootings", they are being "misleading" as well:
http://crimeresearch.org/2015/07/washing...days-this-year/

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Most people that own a gun can't even use it correctly. Get a baseball bat and improve your home security system or make your house more safe. More guns clearly are not the answer.

Oh sure he says more guns aren't the answer, but actions speak louder than words..

396393986.jpg

Originally Posted By: Wikipedia
Reagan passed right in front of Hinckley. Believing he would never get a better chance, Hinckley fired a Röhm RG-14 .22 long rifle blue steel revolver six times in 1.7 seconds, missing the president with all six shots. The first bullet hit White House Press Secretary James Brady in the head. The second bullet hit District of Columbia police officer Thomas Delahanty in the back of his neck as he turned to protect Reagan. Hinckley now had a clear shot at the president,but the third bullet overshot him and hit the window of a building across the street. As Special Agent In Charge Jerry Parr quickly pushed Reagan into the limousine, the fourth bullet hit Secret Service agent Timothy McCarthy in the abdomen as he spread his body over Reagan to make himself a target. The fifth bullet hit the bullet-resistant glass of the window on the open side door of the limousine. The sixth and final bullet ricocheted off the armored side of the limousine and hit the president in his left underarm, grazing a rib and lodging in his lung causing it to partially collapse, and stopping nearly 1 inch (25mm) from his heart. Parr's prompt reaction saved Reagan from being hit in the head.

After the shooting, Alfred Antenucci, a Cleveland, Ohio, labor official who stood nearby Hinckley, was the first to respond. He saw the gun and hit Hinckley in the head, pulling the shooter down to the ground. Within two seconds agent Dennis McCarthy (no relation to agent Timothy McCarthy) dived onto Hinckley as others threw him to the ground; intent on protecting Hinckley to avoid what happened to Lee Harvey Oswald, McCarthy had to "strike two citizens" to force them to release him. Agent Robert Wanko (misidentified as "Steve Wanko" in a newspaper report) took an Uzi from a briefcase to cover the President's evacuation and to deter a potential group attack.

Originally Posted By: Benito
Originally Posted By: 02SE

396393986.jpg

Originally Posted By: Wikipedia
Reagan passed right in front of Hinckley. Believing he would never get a better chance, Hinckley fired a Röhm RG-14 .22 long rifle blue steel revolver six times in 1.7 seconds, missing the president with all six shots. The first bullet hit White House Press Secretary James Brady in the head. The second bullet hit District of Columbia police officer Thomas Delahanty in the back of his neck as he turned to protect Reagan. Hinckley now had a clear shot at the president,but the third bullet overshot him and hit the window of a building across the street. As Special Agent In Charge Jerry Parr quickly pushed Reagan into the limousine, the fourth bullet hit Secret Service agent Timothy McCarthy in the abdomen as he spread his body over Reagan to make himself a target. The fifth bullet hit the bullet-resistant glass of the window on the open side door of the limousine. The sixth and final bullet ricocheted off the armored side of the limousine and hit the president in his left underarm, grazing a rib and lodging in his lung causing it to partially collapse, and stopping nearly 1 inch (25mm) from his heart. Parr's prompt reaction saved Reagan from being hit in the head.

After the shooting, Alfred Antenucci, a Cleveland, Ohio, labor official who stood nearby Hinckley, was the first to respond. He saw the gun and hit Hinckley in the head, pulling the shooter down to the ground. Within two seconds agent Dennis McCarthy (no relation to agent Timothy McCarthy) dived onto Hinckley as others threw him to the ground; intent on protecting Hinckley to avoid what happened to Lee Harvey Oswald, McCarthy had to "strike two citizens" to force them to release him. Agent Robert Wanko (misidentified as "Steve Wanko" in a newspaper report) took an Uzi from a briefcase to cover the President's evacuation and to deter a potential group attack.

Thank you for making my point.

When a whackjob with a gun starts shooting, it's not just the Secret Service that is allowed by the Untied States Constitution to protect themselves and others.

No man, not even our hypocritical President of the United States, has the right to infringe on our 2nd Amendment Right.

If this had been a white shooting blacks,there would be rioting, marches, Al Sharpton and all the other clowns taking advantage of the situation.
White Lives Matter too
Correction: All Lives Matter

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I hope no family member of any of the kids killed at Sandy Hook reads any of this stupid nonsense.

Because victimhood makes you an impartial judge?

Look, mental illness makes you ineligible to own a firearm. That's part of Federal law. It was also against the law in Connecticut for a person under 18 to own any gun.

Adam Lanza, the Sandy Hook shooter, was truly mentally ill...undergoing treatment...his shrink was afraid of him...and his own mother was afraid of him...

His first act, on the day of Sandy Hook, was to murder his own mother in order to get access to her guns. He killed his own mother to get to the gun...that meets my definition of crazy...

So, the Sandy Hook advisory commission, that was set up to discover the causes and make recommendations to the Governor of Connecticut, and which included only one actual law enforcement officer among the dozen or so lawyers, psychiatrists and professors, covered three big areas: Safe School Design and Operation, Law Enforcement, Public Safety, and Emergency Response, and Mental Health/Mental Wellness.

See that last one? Mental Health/Mental Wellness?

That's the big one here. Sure, the lawyers, psychiatrists and professors all made the same mistake that you do: the equate a semi-auto as being "military style"...which means what? It looks evil? It's black? Sure, they indulged in hand-wringing over how many "assault rifles" (another made-up word from the people that don't understand guns...kind of like using "clip" when describing a magazine...it shows that they don't understand the subject)...but then they went back to substantive, sweeping recommendations.

They all made an even bigger deal of mental health...and that is the one area that is blocked by the medical community because of HIPAA concerns...

If the lawyers, psychiatrists and professors came up with those recommendations, why haven't they been acted upon? That's the real crime here. Here's a framework to make our schools and children safer...the barriers are political...and you, Dallas69, you go after the law-abiding citizen while completely ignoring the recommedations...

We both agree on this: some people shouldn't have guns...ask yourself why the rights of those people are better protected than your right to own a gun...because your failure to support my right to a gun, by narrowly defining "legitimate" as only the types of guns you like, undermines both our rights...and gives more credence to those who want to take your guns away. Your shotgun, your revolver, your hunting rifle...

As long as they come for someone else, you're OK, right? You can just stand by, echo your support for the gun-control folks that want to take the guns of other people becuase you don't like those guns, and believe that they won't then come for you and your guns...

http://www.shac.ct.gov/SHAC_Final_Report_3-6-2015.pdf

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Adam Lanza, the Sandy Hook shooter, was truly mentally ill...undergoing treatment...his shrink was afraid of him...and his own mother was afraid of him...

His first act, on the day of Sandy Hook, was to murder his own mother in order to get access to her guns. He killed his own mother to get to the gun...that meets my definition of crazy...

Even more crazy is keeping a gun in the house with someone who is mentally unstable. I am sure Nancy Lanza thought she needed those guns for protection, meanwhile it's precisely that protection that ended up killing her and two dozen innocent people. The apple didn't fall far from the tree.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: Astro14

Even more crazy is keeping a gun in the house with someone who is mentally unstable. I am sure Nancy Lanza thought she needed those guns for protection, meanwhile it's precisely that protection that ended up killing her and two dozen innocent people. The apple didn't fall far from the tree.

She had them locked up, actually...in a safe...her mistake was allowing him to discover the combination...or perhaps she gave it to him under duress while pleading for her life...

She should have had him locked up... and the Sandy Hook Commission believed that her efforts to get him admitted to a lock-down type of treatment center may have precipitated Adam Lanza acting out...

What are the statistics on mental illness and gun violence?

I see all sorts of claims on this but never any numbers.

Originally Posted By: Benito
What are the statistics on mental illness and gun violence?

I see all sorts of claims on this but never any numbers.

Therein lies the problem. Its difficult to get an insanity verdict even when the accused claims insanity after the fact. So how in the world are you gonna' prevent anyone from owning a gun unless he was in a mental institution and then even that is tricky (lawsuits, lawsuits, lawsuits)

So really you can't legally keep guns out of most people hands that may kill someone and you certainly can't keep criminals from having guns. The only viable answer is to arm yourself to protect yourself and loved ones...duuuuuhhh that what politicians and wealthy people do. Wait they hire someone with a gun.

Last edited:
The Korean guy in Virginia Tech bought his guns legally and he was acting strange before the shooting, so did Colorado movie theater shooter, virgin California college student with rich parents. McDonald's massacre in California in the 1980's guy had Uzi, shotgun, hand gun and killed many.

The gun shop / pawn shop doesn't care if buyer has mental problems. They were all acting CooCoo before shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back