Replacing 2 tires with a slightly larger size

Status
Not open for further replies.
02 4Runner 2wd
Stock Tire size is 225 75R 15

I am currently selling my 4runner. The vehicle has a bad shake at speeds in excess of 45 mph. Doing some research online, it appears that the tires need to be balanced. Two of the tires are in bad condition with limited tread life. I want to replace the 2 front.

There are more options for 235 75r 15 tires than the stock. Discount Tire told me there would be no issues with going with a slightly larger tire. I will save around $75 total going with the slightly larger size. Are there any issues with going from a 225 to 235 (aspect ratio stays the same) tire?

at least it's 2WD. there would be a problem with 4WD. not sure what the threshold is, but you can throw off ABS and stability control, depending on the system - although you are talking about a minor difference.

The full tread 235 looks much larger then half worn 225. If you like to replace only 2 with 235 then new tires should be on the rear.

Originally Posted By: nolo

02 4Runner 2wd
Stock Tire size is 225 75R 15

I am currently selling my 4runner. The vehicle has a bad shake at speeds in excess of 45 mph. Doing some research online, it appears that the tires need to be balanced. Two of the tires are in bad condition with limited tread life. I want to replace the 2 front.

There are more options for 235 75r 15 tires than the stock. Discount Tire told me there would be no issues with going with a slightly larger tire. I will save around $75 total going with the slightly larger size. Are there any issues with going from a 225 to 235 (aspect ratio stays the same) tire?

If I were a perspective buyer, I would question the change in tire size and the new vs old tires. I wonder if it is worth changing all 4 and factoring that into the price.

I'd get four of the cheapest stock size tires I could find, or sell as is with the price adjusted.

By the way, when you say that "aspect ratio stays the same" it means that the actual size is different. Same ratio, different width = different height.

The vehicle has high miles and is at the end of its life. I tried selling the vehicle as is, but the vibration is so bad that it is deterring people from making an offer.

Thanks for the help.

Originally Posted By: Ken2

By the way, when you say that "aspect ratio stays the same" it means that the actual size is different. Same ratio, different width = different height.

Yes, I realize it is a ratio.

Thanks

Good lord, a Discount Tire around here would freak out like a bunch of screaming ninnies at the thought of changing the tire size! "Are you trying to kill yourself and your whole family?!" they'd ask...

I dont have an issue with larger tires per say especially when the truck could have come with 31's from the factory.

Ford says the ABS System on their cars should tolerate up to 3% difference (dont know about Toyota). You already at 2% before tire wear assuming the tires are the same relative size. Throw in the differences in relative size that you sometimes see between brands and models and it could get iffy.

If you want to take a chance on the 235's go ahead but it is possible that you might have to go ahead and replace the others too if the ABS Light comes on and you want to keep functional ABS.

replace all 4 add 400$ to your price..

add 500$ more to price and then let them deal you down some.

Originally Posted By: nolo

The vehicle has high miles and is at the end of its life. I tried selling the vehicle as is, but the vibration is so bad that it is deterring people from making an offer.

Thanks for the help.

Time for some decent used rubber. Call around to mom and pop tire stores and tell them your story. Spending more than $60-75 to solve your problem, you won't get it back in resale.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Time for some decent used rubber. Call around to mom and pop tire stores and tell them your story. Spending more than $60-75 to solve your problem, you won't get it back in resale.

+1 Some used rubber with decent tread life left will serve you well in prepping this vehicle for sale, especially if as you say it's at the end of its life. Classifieds may be another source for used tires, also auto wreckers. Key is to find a matching set of 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back