2007 Honda Pilot - OK to replace 16" factory rims with 17" from a Mitsu? (Slight difference in hub diameter)

My friend is looking to replace tires on a 2007 Honda Pilot.

The present worn-out tires are 235/70-16. The factory alloy wheels have a BCD of 114.3 mm, and a hub diameter of 64.1 mm.

He can get a really good price on 225/65-17 tires, which have an almost identical O.D. (and circumference) and therefore won't cause problems with the speedometer and odometer.

Of course he'll need 17" rims to go with the new tires. He's found some good used ones off a 2006 Mitsubishi Endeavor. Presuming they have the matching BCD of 114.3 mm, the only remaining issue is the hub size, which is slightly larger at 67.1 mm.

Questions:

1. Are these hub-centric rims? That is, would the slightly larger hub on the 17" rims make the 17"ers unsafe to use?

2. Presuming the slightly larger hub is OK, are there any other reasons not to go ahead with this?

Thanks!

You didn't mention the offset (+ width) which is important for clearance but that backspacing is similar, considering that the Pilot was also optioned with the wider 7" rims on 17"+ diameter size.

It's not ideal but workable as long as your lug nuts are tapered to center the rim. This means more care is needed in gradually, tightening them evenly in a star pattern. There are also plastic and aluminum spacers (aka hub rings) that can take up the gap on the center bore, makes putting the wheels on a little easier.

Last edited:
Tire Rack has decent tires under $125 in the original size. On this older car, that is probably your best bet. You are not then dealing with questions on hub-centricity and whether Mitsu rims are any good. Assuming you are talking about new tires, you just can't do better than getting the OEM stuff. I am assuming that the rims are serviceable, and that we are talking about new tires, including the larger ones. I apologize for not answering the question, but suggest not fighting city hall on this one.

You would also need different lug nuts. Honda uses a ball seat lug nut instead of tapered.
I have Hyundai rims for 3 season on my Accord that are slightly larger center bore. I got the small plastic hub spacers. I also ordered new lug nuts because of the above taper and the Hyundai ones use a 21mm socket, Honda 19mm.

I had/have the original Hyundai ones but someone would wind up with a flat and only factory lug wrench that would not fit with my luck.

If he really wants 17" rims for the good tire price there are plenty of Honda rims that would fit.

The 17" tires- new or used? if used how old? How much savings when rims/tires/lug nuts combined over just getting the 16" tires. You could also look to upsize a slight bit on the 16" for other options and prices.

Shop the sites and local dealers. Vredestein Pinza AT 3PMSF is $124/tire at Tire Rack. Presuming if looking for inexpensive then not getting separate winter tires. I would get a 3PMSF for Canada. Spend a bit more for better rating Kumho Crugen HT51.

Don't forget to check Walmart options and also deals/rebates etc on TR, DTD, SimpleTire, Canadian Tire.

I have Hyundai rims for 3 season on my Accord that are slightly larger center bore. I got the small plastic hub spacers. I also ordered new lug nuts because of the above taper and the Hyundai ones use a 21mm socket, Honda 19mm.

I had/have the original Hyundai ones but someone would wind up with a flat and only factory lug wrench that would not fit with my luck.

If he really wants 17" rims for the good tire price there are plenty of Honda rims that would fit.

The 17" tires- new or used? if used how old? How much savings when rims/tires/lug nuts combined over just getting the 16" tires. You could also look to upsize a slight bit on the 16" for other options and prices.

Shop the sites and local dealers. Vredestein Pinza AT 3PMSF is $124/tire at Tire Rack. Presuming if looking for inexpensive then not getting separate winter tires. I would get a 3PMSF for Canada. Spend a bit more for better rating Kumho Crugen HT51.

Don't forget to check Walmart options and also deals/rebates etc on TR, DTD, SimpleTire, Canadian Tire.
Update: He got a good deal on new tires of the correct size, and so used the original factory alloy rims.

I think that was a good decision.

Back