Rental Review, Tesla Model 3 standard range

Rented a Tesla 3 for a 4 day weeked. It was the cheapest car available from Hertz surprisingly. Never driven any electric car before this.
First the good. They drive great, cruise/autopilot is fantastic in traffic, fairly quiet but not shockingly, ride is smooth, controls aren't so bad being on the iPad thing. The menus and navigating to what you want is better than others. Speed is good and makes lane changes very easy.
The bad. They are basically miserable without home charging. Now that they are mainstream the charging stations are busy and not cheap. Starting your day with a partial charge means you start your day with a 30min sit at a supercharger and then again in the afternoon if traveling any sort of distance. I was constantly planning my day based on charging spots and times. The glass roof is too hot for 100 degree summer days. They need a shade or blackout option. The headrests again gave me neck pain. Not as bad as a Camry but close. No adjustment was available. Made for shorter than 6' people.

Conclusion: I would love it if it didn't have a glass roof and charging was as simple and available as a fuel up. I would not own one at this time. It's only going to be worse when others are allowed to use the superchargers. It would be a better Camry if it had a gas or hybrid configuration.

I’m 6ft 4 and didn’t feel like there was any issue with being tall… I thought it was pretty comfortable.

But ive rented them twice, and on both occasions had to deal with the charging hassle. I can see how for routine use with charging at home there’s a pretty decent convenience factor, since you almost never need to wonder if it will be good to go. On longer trips it sure would be a pain. Sure you will need to stop for the bathroom or whatever, but you then need to have a charger nearby….

As I have said in other threads, EV’s are not viable options if you do not have Level 2 charging at home.

But for $33K or so, they’re not shabby for many suburban homeowners with short commutes.

The only comfort issue I had was the headrest. It wasn't terrible but annoying that it couldn't be adjusted. Maybe being taller makes you bypass the forward tilt zone. Seats were a good blend of sporty and comfortable.
I also forgot to mention the annoying whistle over 20mph or so. It's well documented on Google/forums. Apparently something with the folding mirror gap. I wouldn't care on an older car but a brand new high tech car it shouldn't be acceptable.

A few months ago, when I traveled to Denver to see family and squeeze-in some vacation for the week, I was "upgraded" by Avis from a Prius to a Jeep Wrangler 4xe, which is a PHEV. A 100% charge got me 21 miles on battery power. It came with a Level 1 charger - thanks alot! I would plug-into the 110V outlet on the corner of the hotel building every night, and sneak across the street to a hospital's parking garage for its free Level 2 charger when I had time to kill. But with putting on 1k miles during the week, it was no-way near as efficient or convenient as the Prius. Won't make that mistake again...

A few months ago, when I traveled to Denver to see family and squeeze-in some vacation for the week, I was "upgraded" by Avis from a Prius to a Jeep Wrangler 4xe, which is a PHEV. A 100% charge got me 21 miles on battery power. It came with a Level 1 charger - thanks alot! I would plug-into the 110V outlet on the corner of the hotel building every night, and sneak across the street to a hospital's parking garage for its free Level 2 charger when I had time to kill. But with putting on 1k miles during the week, it was no-way near as efficient or convenient as the Prius. Won't make that mistake again...
It wasn't necessary to plug in the Jeep. Works fine on just gasoline power. And obviously a very different vehicle than a Prius, something you knew at the rental counter. Not sure what point you're trying to make.

It wasn't necessary to plug in the Jeep. Works fine on just gasoline power. And obviously a very different vehicle than a Prius, something you knew at the rental counter. Not sure what point you're trying to make.
I read it as someone sharing their experience of a rental. Not everything needs to be a statement of point.

I agree with both. That also makes them not the ideal Rental for many.
When I read this comment, I was relating my personal experience with recently renting a PHEV vehicle from Avis, which I found out was another example of what OP describes as "not the ideal rental for many".

Hertz had a number of Model 3s available when we were in Portland last August and I thought about it since I'd like to try one for a week, but the potential charging issues made me think again and we took a Trailblazer instead.
We did drive more than five hundred miles over the course of our visit and did go places where charging might have been iffy, so the little Korean CUV was probably the better choice and it had some technically interesting engineering of its own as well as ample room for four and their luggage out of and then back to the airport.

As I have said in other threads, EV’s are not viable options if you do not have Level 2 charging at home.

But for $33K or so, they’re not shabby for many suburban homeowners with short commutes.
What worthwhile EV is $33k?

Oh that game they play with the tax credit…

They dont anymore - the car order landing page opens at cash price no incentives.

That toggle switch became an impossible object to overcome for some enraged they had to figure out how to click it.

Most of same guys that were driven to near breakdown and apoplexy about that toggle are stone silent about ADM.

Rented a Tesla 3 for a 4 day weeked. It was the cheapest car available from Hertz surprisingly. Never driven any electric car before this.
First the good. They drive great, cruise/autopilot is fantastic in traffic, fairly quiet but not shockingly, ride is smooth, controls aren't so bad being on the iPad thing. The menus and navigating to what you want is better than others. Speed is good and makes lane changes very easy.
The bad. They are basically miserable without home charging. Now that they are mainstream the charging stations are busy and not cheap. Starting your day with a partial charge means you start your day with a 30min sit at a supercharger and then again in the afternoon if traveling any sort of distance. I was constantly planning my day based on charging spots and times. The glass roof is too hot for 100 degree summer days. They need a shade or blackout option. The headrests again gave me neck pain. Not as bad as a Camry but close. No adjustment was available. Made for shorter than 6' people.

Conclusion: I would love it if it didn't have a glass roof and charging was as simple and available as a fuel up. I would not own one at this time. It's only going to be worse when others are allowed to use the superchargers. It would be a better Camry if it had a gas or hybrid configuration.
Toyota just announced they have a 745 mile battery that can charge in 10 minutes. Sounds like it was being tested for a while.

Toyota just announced they have a 745 mile battery that can charge in 10 minutes. Sounds like it was being tested for a while.
I read the market release date is 2027. I'm sure other manufacturers are working on the same. Being just as secretive as Toyota was. If multiple companies can achieve this reliably in a lower cost vehicle, better for the consumer.

Last edited:
I read the market release date is 2027. I'm sure other manufacturers are working on the same. Being just as secretive as Toyota was. If multiple companies can achieve this reliably in a lower cost vehicle, better for the consumer.
Knowing Toyota, I'd be shocked if it came out within this decade. And when it does, it will probably be ultra-conservatively engineered.

What % of the time is your car parked at your house overnight?

Back