2021 Sahara 4xe- One Month Review

After 30 days and a bit over 1,000 miles I have to say that I remain very impressed with the PHEV JLU. My wife really likes it, which is great since it will rerplace her E84 X1 when my term ends in January 2025.

Currently I drive it to work 5 days per week; as I've noted previously the round trip distance is 24 miles and the IC motor rarely -if ever- turns on. Jeep claims a 22 mile electric-only range of 22 miles but it's actually a bit more than that as I've gone upwards of 26 miles before the battery charge drops to 1%. Speaking of charging, I'm still using the Level 1 plug-in EVSE(charger) that came with the Jeep. It also performas a bit better than advertised, charging to 100% in about 12 hours. I've filled it up twice and on the first fill-up it averaged 37.3 mpg; on the second it averaged 50.2. The 2 liter turbo will run on regular but Jeep advises that it will make a bit more power using higher octane fuel, so I run premium in it.

As far as the driving experience goes, I love it. The seats are comfortable, and the ride and handling are better than expected. It's no Macan S or GLC43, but it certainly is not a penalty box either. The Alpine audio system is actually pretty good. I'm not a fan of touchscreens, but at least there are mechanical buttons for the HVAC system as well as volume and tuning knobs. I especially like the button/rocker switches on the back of the steering wheel which allow you to control most most audio system functions.

No serious modifications yet, but I have added Quadratec door entry guards, Jeep all-weather floor mats, and a 21" Antenna Source antenna(the OEM antenna hit the garage door when pulling in).

Here's hoping that the love affair continues.

Last edited:
Pardon my lack of knowledge but your title says "2021 Sahara". Is this a new car company? With all the new electric vehicle start-ups it's hard to keep track. It would help some of us with more clarity.

Pardon my lack of knowledge but your title says "2021 Sahara". Is this a new car company? With all the new electric vehicle start-ups it's hard to keep track. It would help some of us with more clarity.
It’s a Jeep Wrangler; Sahara is the trim level.

After 30 days and a bit over 1,000 miles I have to say that I remain very impressed with the PHEV JLU. My wife really likes it, which is great since it will rerplace her E84 X1 when my term ends in January 2025.

Currently I drive it to work 5 days per week; as I've noted previously the round trip distance is 24 miles and the IC motor rarely -if ever- turns on. Jeep claims a 22 mile electric-only range of 22 miles but it's actually a bit more than that as I've gone upwards of 26 miles before the battery charge drops to 1%. Speaking of charging, I'm still using the Level 1 plug-in EVSE(charger) that came with the Jeep. It also performas a bit better than advertised, charging to 100% in about 12 hours. I've filled it up twice and on the first fill-up it averaged 37.3 mpg; on the second it averaged 50.2. The 2 liter turbo will run on regular but Jeep advises that it will make a bit more power using higher octane fuel, so I run premium in it.

As far as the driving experience goes, I love it. The seats are comfortable, and the ride and handling are better than expected. It's no Macan S or GLC43, but it certainly is not a penalty box either. The Alpine audio system is actually pretty good. I'm not a fan of touchscreens, but at least there are mechanical buttons for the HVAC system as well as volume and tuning knobs. I especially like the button/rocker switches on the back of the steering wheel which allow you to control most most audio system functions.

No serious modifications yet, but I have added Quadratec door entry guards, Jeep all-weather floor mats, and a 21" Antenna Source antenna(the OEM antenna hit the garage door when pulling in).

This is one of the best testimonies I’ve read for EV arrangements in non-sedans, ever.

No lift kit, Dana 44's and 37 inch Nitto Trail Grappler tires?

Thanks for sharing. I really want one of these, but in the Rubicon trim since I do enjoy off-roading a bit. Sounds like a good purchase to keep on my list.

I have the same door entry guards, some weathertech mats, and a stubby antenna on my TJ. Funny how these small mods make it easier to live with and keep clean.

Thanks for sharing. I really want one of these, but in the Rubicon trim since I do enjoy off-roading a bit. Sounds like a good purchase to keep on my list.
The first 4xe we looked at was a loaded 2022 Rubicon. The day we were going to look at it it was bought by an out of state buyer. It would have been a bit of overkill for our needs. A 1999 Sahara suited us fine for 21 years so I think we are good.

Me too but the places I’d take a $40k and up Jeep wouldn’t require Rubicon capabilities.

@MCompact , are these heavier than a non EV JLU? Can you feel it?
The 4xe is several hundred pounds heavier, but the weight is concentrated relatively low in the frame. As a result, it feels a bit more planted than a conventional JLU.

Back