Remember about cheap HDMI cables...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny correspondence from BJC to Monster. Letter

Quote:
Dear Monster Lawyers,

Let me begin by stating, without equivocation, that I have no interest whatsoever in infringing upon any intellectual property belonging to Monster Cable. Indeed, the less my customers think my products resemble Monster's, in form or in function, the better.

I discovered Blue Jean Cables a few years ago when I needed a long run of speaker cable.

They are no nonsense, better than average products at fair prices. They mostly use U.S. made Belden wire stock.

Regarding their "better" HDMI cables, they mostly tout that they are US made (the cable part only), they are somewhat more future proof, and they excel in very long runs. Poking around their site, they are honest and upfront in admitting that a $4 cable will work as well as their $20 one in most instances.

Great thread need to pick up some DMI's for the new HD tv,whats the currant ver. 1.4?

and i'd assume a WM cable would be good enough,like to find made in the USA if i could also when they say "high speed" or standard speed is that a gimmick too?

I'm getting ready to order some HDMI cables and noticed that some (monoprice) have ferrite cores and others (parts express) don't.

A Google search results in mixed opinions about these cores.

Whether they help or not, do they tend to get in the way or cause the finicky plugs to fall out easier? You Monoprice guys with experience please chime in.

And, do most of you just order 6 foot ones (seems to be a standard) for everything, or do you get shorter ones to fit your needs.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I just picked up a 15' from Monoprice to go from the living room Dish box to my kitchen tv, great cables i got the high speed V 1.4. for $21,anyplace around here was $60! yea right.

There is a difference. I was not aware of the different versions. v 1.4 cables are a few dollars more on ebay. $3.39 shipped for a 10 foot.

Originally Posted By: daman
1.4 supports 3D and one other thing i cant remember..but yea i sprung for the 1.4. still cheap by far from what i could get locally.

The one i bought

Daman, your post implies that you what you bought is "better" performance than their lower cost cables ("sprung for the 1.4").

What you sprung for is a heavier gauge cable with in-wall rating. Their less expensive cables have the same performance specifications as yours. From what I have read, heavier gauge wire will only perform better in very long runs.

It seems the big difference with 1.4 is Ethernet capability IF you buy that version: http://www.monoprice.com/products/produc...=1&format=2

In short, it seems that ALL the cables at monoprice meet 1.4 specs.. One just needs to choose gauge, standard, high speed, or ethernet versions (someone correct me, if wrong).

If one thinks he needs "1.4" cable for better performance, I think you are wrong. Except for the Ethernet spec., this site http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/hdmi_1_4_faq.aspx#3 says:

"All of the other new HDMI 1.4 features will be compatible with the existing categories of cables."

Does anyone have info to my original question above about ferrite cores?

Last edited:
I wanted the 1.4 for 3D,Ethernet and in wall rating as i ran it through a register/wall,i know i didn't "need" it but basically the same price so didn't matter to me.

Well I got a wimpy, cheap HDMI cable (Eforcity) from amazon (only because I was getting some other stuff and wanted to be lazy and not place a separate order at Monoprice.com) and didn't work with my 2 laptops at all when hooked up to the Samsung LCD TV -

Hooked up the existing Monoprice HDMI cable (which is like a tank in terms of build quality, but also VERY affordable, and only like $1 more than the amazon one), and worked like a charm.

At least the the amazon seller refunded the money immediately, no questions asked and didn't want the defective cable shipped back. Very good customer service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back