Remember about cheap HDMI cables...

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you or your relatives who just got a new HDTV, remember, a $5 HDMI cable purchased online will perform the exact same as a $100 Monster Cable HDMI cable. The only difference is the HDMI cable found next to that fancy TV will cost far more!

Seeing that HDMI is a licensed standard, if the cable meets the standard, it'll work the exact same way every time. Price does nothing for performance.

"... but I SWEAR I can tell a difference between the Monster BFD-10000 cable vs. the Inland $2.99 cable! I SWEAR!..."

I've always gone with the Amazon Basics for my HDMI cables and other audio and video needs. They are a Good price and quality product and I usually buy them, as a piggy-back, when I need to get to the $25 threshold for free shipping on an item on special.

I used to use oil filters and the Fram Air Hog, Air Filter, as items to purchase to meet the $25 threshold....but I've got a good supply of oil and air filters now....so cables have been substituted for the time being.

on my LG I can tell the difference between a $3 cable and a modestly priced say $15 cable.

On my Vizio, no difference. Never used one priced above $30. My GF was impatient and paid $30 at WalMart for a Phillips cable. It does a nice job on her settop cable box.

When I need one now I tend to use the $8-$12 cables.

Originally Posted By: Hermann
on my LG I can tell the difference between a $3 cable and a modestly priced say $15 cable.

On my Vizio, no difference. Never used one priced above $30. My GF was impatient and paid $30 at WalMart for a Phillips cable. It does a nice job on her settop cable box.

How? It is digital. Either the data makes it or it doesn't. There is no potential for "noise" like on an analog connection.

Only difference in high end HDMI and low end is that sometimes, the 'high end' ones might have better durability and physical build quality, and may last longer.

Sinnal wise, there can't be a difference.

I get my HDMI cables from Monoprice.com or bluejeanscable.com

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: Hermann

How? It is digital. Either the data makes it or it doesn't. There is no potential for "noise" like on an analog connection.

How? I dont know. But when I got my Panasonic Blu-ray player and $3.59 cable from Amazon. The picture on the LG 1080p was noticeably sharper and had less blur during action scenes and sports. The cables were switched back and forth several times. I am not talking about the Philips cable my GF bought, but comparing the cheap cable to the HDMI cable that came with my DirecTV HD DVR. The $3.59 cable does fine on my other set now which is 720p hooked to a Philips $45 DVD player. I now use a DirecTV cable on the LG with both the DVR and Blu-ray as I had a DVR that failed and they sent a new cable with the replacement DVR. Only reporting what my eyes saw.

Well, since HDMI is a "negotiated" standard (the TV and device "talk" to establish the link) perhaps you were only getting 720p or 1080i with the other cable?

Maybe it was an older cable. There are several versions of HDMI cables as new revisions and advancements enabled more data over the same cable. The older cables do not support the same resolution as the newer ones.

I like the Parts Express cables
grin2.gif

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=181-774

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Maybe it was an older cable. There are several versions of HDMI cables as new revisions and advancements enabled more data over the same cable. The older cables do not support the same resolution as the newer ones.

Yep. While the cheapo cables can be as good as the $50+ ones its is all dependent on what revision of the HDMI standard they meet.

Quote:

HDMI devices are manufactured to adhere to various versions of the specification, in which each version is given a number and/or letter, such as 1.0, 1.2, or 1.4b.[2] Each subsequent version of the specification uses the same kind of cable but increases the bandwidth and/or capabilities of what can be transmitted over the cable.[2] A product listed as having an HDMI version does not necessarily mean that it will have all of the features that are listed for that version, since some HDMI features are optional, such as Deep Color and xvYCC (which is branded by Sony as "x.v.Color").[110][111] Note that with the release of the version 1.4 cable, the HDMI Licensing LLC group (which oversees the HDMI standard) will require that any reference to version numbers be removed from all advertising from the cable only.[112] Non-cable HDMI products starting on January 1, 2012 will no longer be allowed to reference the HDMI number and will be required to state which features of the HDMI specification the product supports.[113]
[edit]Version 1.0 to 1.2
HDMI 1.0 was released December 9, 2002 and is a single-cable digital audio/video connector interface with a maximum TMDS bandwidth of 4.9 Gbit/s. It supports up to 3.96 Gbit/s of video bandwidth (1080p/60 Hz or UXGA) and 8 channel LPCM/192 kHz/24-bit audio.[2] HDMI 1.1 was released on May 20, 2004 and added support for DVD-Audio.[2] HDMI 1.2 was released August 8, 2005 and added support for One Bit Audio, used on Super Audio CDs, at up to 8 channels. It also added the availability of HDMI type A connectors for PC sources, the ability for PC sources to only support the sRGB color space while retaining the option to support the YCbCr color space, and required HDMI 1.2 and later displays to support low-voltage sources.[2][48] HDMI 1.2a was released on December 14, 2005 and fully specifies Consumer Electronic Control (CEC) features, command sets and CEC compliance tests.[2]
[edit]Version 1.3
HDMI 1.3 was released June 22, 2006 and increased the single-link bandwidth to 340 MHz (10.2 Gbit/s).[2][43][114] It optionally supports Deep Color, with 30-bit, 36-bit and 48-bit xvYCC, sRGB, or YCbCr, compared to 24-bit sRGB or YCbCr in previous HDMI versions. It also optionally supports output of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio streams for external decoding by AV receivers.[115] It incorporates automatic audio syncing (audio video sync) capability.[43] It defined cable Categories 1 and 2, with Category 1 cable being tested up to 74.25 MHz and Category 2 being tested up to 340 MHz.[66] It also added the new type C Mini connector for portable devices.[58][116]
HDMI 1.3a was released on November 10, 2006 and had Cable and Sink modifications for type C, source termination recommendations, and removed undershoot and maximum rise/fall time limits.[2] It also changed CEC capacitance limits, clarified sRGB video quantization range, and CEC commands for timer control were brought back in an altered form, with audio control commands added.[2] It also added support for optionally streaming SACD in its bitstream DST format rather than uncompressed raw DSD like from HDMI 1.2 onwards.[2]
HDMI 1.3b, 1.3b1 and 1.3c were released on March 26, 2007, November 9, 2007, and August 25, 2008 respectively. They do not introduce differences on HDMI features, functions, or performance,[117] but only describe testing for products based on the HDMI 1.3a specification regarding HDMI compliance (1.3b [107][118][119]), the HDMI type C Mini connector (1.3b1 [107][118][119]) and active HDMI cables (1.3c [73][120]).[117]
[edit]Version 1.4
HDMI 1.4 was released on May 28, 2009, and the first HDMI 1.4 products were available in the second half of 2009.[62][121] HDMI 1.4 increases the maximum resolution to 4K × 2K, i.e. 3840 × 2160p (Quad HD) at 24 Hz/25 Hz/30 Hz or 4096 × 2160p at 24 Hz (which is a resolution used with digital theaters); an HDMI Ethernet Channel (HEC), which allows for a 100 Mbit/s Ethernet connection between the two HDMI connected devices so they can share an Internet connection;[122] and introduces an Audio Return Channel (ARC),[123] 3D Over HDMI, a new Micro HDMI Connector, expanded support for color spaces, with the addition of sYCC601, Adobe RGB and Adobe YCC601; and an Automotive Connection System.[62][124][125][126][127] HDMI 1.4 supports several stereoscopic 3D formats including field alternative (interlaced), frame packing (a full resolution top-bottom format), line alternative full, side-by-side half, side-by-side full, 2D + depth, and 2D + depth + graphics + graphics depth (WOWvx),[59][128][129] with additional top/bottom formats added in version 1.4a . HDMI 1.4 requires that 3D displays support the frame packing 3D format at either 720p50 and 1080p24 or 720p60 and 1080p24.[129] High Speed HDMI 1.3 cables can support all HDMI 1.4 features except for the HDMI Ethernet Channel.[59][128][129]
HDMI 1.4a was released on March 4, 2010 and adds two additional mandatory 3D formats for broadcast content, which was deferred with HDMI 1.4 in order to see the direction of the 3D broadcast market.[130][131] HDMI 1.4a has defined mandatory 3D formats for broadcast, game, and movie content.[130] HDMI 1.4a requires that 3D displays support the frame packing 3D format at either 720p50 and 1080p24 or 720p60 and 1080p24, side-by-side horizontal at either 1080i50 or 1080i60, and top-and-bottom at either 720p50 and 1080p24 or 720p60 and 1080p24.[131]
HDMI 1.4b was released on October 11, 2011.[132] All future versions of the HDMI specification will be made by the HDMI Forum that was created on October 25, 2011.[15][133]

1.3 is pretty much the minimum defacto standards these days, but often the cheapo cables you find in retail stores for $5-$10 are v1.2 at best.

20hronq.png

zlw9iq.png

On a physical media level, digital signal still travel as analog signal and as long as the quality is good enough it would work. If a marginal signal reaches the end with too low of a quality (signal to noise ratio), then it would not work.

The LG TV or the signal source (cable box, dvd player, etc) Hermann got may have low signal quality, or a bad cable that act as an antenna, or have a short / bad shielding, etc.

I also have a large stash of the cheapy HDMI cables that work fine for all my applications. I had to scold my dad when I found out he paid $99 for the monster cable.

One test showed that over extremely long runs, the cheaper HDMI cables didn't always perform optimally. Again, this was only some of those cables and over crazy distances. And even then, it wasn't always noticeable.

I'm convinced some people, like my brother-in-law, sleep better at night knowing that they pi$sed away money on something. He just picked up a laptop after bugging me for a while to find him a deal on one. Knowing he was gonna spend another $200 on software that can be had for free with a little Internet know-how I told him to consult me before he bought ANYTHING else besides the laptop.
31.gif
Instead, he went ahead and bought the MS Office suite to the sum of $179.
33.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back