Remember about cheap HDMI cables...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dwcopple
I'm convinced some people, like my brother-in-law, sleep better at night knowing that they pi$sed away money on something. He just picked up a laptop after bugging me for a while to find him a deal on one. Knowing he was gonna spend another $200 on software that can be had for free with a little Internet know-how I told him to consult me before he bought ANYTHING else besides the laptop.
31.gif
Instead, he went ahead and bought the MS Office suite to the sum of $179.
33.gif

You are faulting him for legally acquiring software?????

Some people just don't want to be helped no matter what they tell you, and there's nothing you can do about it.

If human stupidity equaled nuclear fusion, this planet would shine brighter than the sun and for much, much longer.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
I'm convinced some people, like my brother-in-law, sleep better at night knowing that they pi$sed away money on something. He just picked up a laptop after bugging me for a while to find him a deal on one. Knowing he was gonna spend another $200 on software that can be had for free with a little Internet know-how I told him to consult me before he bought ANYTHING else besides the laptop.
31.gif
33.gif

There's always OpenOffice, NeoOffice, etc.

Originally Posted By: dparm
31.gif
33.gif

True, but "free with a little Internet know-how" didn't sound like that was the implied route.....
wink.gif
I could be wrong however.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: dparm
31.gif
33.gif

True, but "free with a little Internet know-how" didn't sound like that was the implied route.....
wink.gif
I could be wrong however.
grin.gif

Yep, you are wrong. Open Office and AVG are what I was referring too.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Do they run over HDMI ?? ....

Only in 32 bit compatibility mode, see above thread migration map.

Getting back on the road:- Does anybody make HDMI(computer) to DVI(monitor) cable? Or better, an adapter to put on the HDMI cable as I have bunch of HDMI cables handy.

Wait a minute, not one time in this thread was mention of Hertz of the TV's and Hertz of the cables.

Most DTV/cheaper cables are only 60Htz capable. Buddy told me years ago to always get a cable that double the capacity of the TV (If you own a 60Htz TV, get a 120Htz cord regardless of make/brand of cord). This was a few years ago before 240Htz TV's were out buuuuut you get the idea.

If anyone has a PS3 and a 60Htz LCD/LED flat panel :

Hook the PS3 to the TV with a 60Htz cord and go play for a couple hours (your choice of game).

Now try a 120Htz cord and tell me you don't/can't tell a difference in audio/video.

I didn't believe him at first but have since gone by this.

Originally Posted By: PZR2874
Wait a minute, not one time in this thread was mention of Hertz of the TV's and Hertz of the cables.

Most DTV/cheaper cables are only 60Htz capable. Buddy told me years ago to always get a cable that double the capacity of the TV (If you own a 60Htz TV, get a 120Htz cord regardless of make/brand of cord). This was a few years ago before 240Htz TV's were out buuuuut you get the idea.

Hook the PS3 to the TV with a 60Htz cord and go play for a couple hours (your choice of game).

Now try a 120Htz cord and tell me you don't/can't tell a difference in audio/video.

You are thinking in analog.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Getting back on the road:- Does anybody make HDMI(computer) to DVI(monitor) cable? Or better, an adapter to put on the HDMI cable as I have bunch of HDMI cables handy.

HDMI is digital. There are different versions of HDMI and the later versions carry more data. But that's not a HZ rating as you would have with analog cables.

So while what you mention my apply to the analog connections such as VGA connections to a monitor, where you can't use higher resolutions or higher refresh rates due to limits in the cable, HDMI cables that meet HDMI v1.3 or so will support most everything out there except maybe not 3D viewing.

good ol' eBay for mine. 2 for $6 shipped! work like a charm! PS3 and blueray's look excellent!

I get them for $1.57 shipped. I just bought a third one on friday. The other two I have work flawlessly. The first one I bought was actually a really thick cable. The second was a little thinner, but still worked just as well. The build on these "cheap" cables is top notch IMO. The only time I would ever consider buying more expensive cables is if I was going to bury them behind some drywall going to a wall-mounted flatscreen. Aside from that, my $1.57 shipped cables do just fine.

Sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong. Even the finest Blu-Ray video signal is only transmitted at 60Hz. In fact, nothing that I know of is broadcasted at over 60Hz. If your tv is 120 Hz, 240 Hz, 480Hz, etc., its the TV that is 'upconverting' the 60Hz and making it look smoother. The cable only carries the signal, that's it! The TV (using chipsets, processors, etc.) converts it to the higher Hz level. Any time you look at an HDMI cable package and see stuff like "120 Hz certified" or "240 Hz certified", those are not only bogus but also complete lies, as there are NO certifications for those things. Why? Because the cable only carries a signal... it has no idea, nor does it care what the TV does with the signal.

In a roundabout way, saying an HDMI cable is "120Hz certified" is as ridiculous as saying that the TV's power cord is "HD certified". Which is ridiculous... that cord only supplies power; the TV uses that power however it wants.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9

Sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong. Even the finest Blu-Ray video signal is only transmitted at 60Hz. In fact, nothing that I know of is broadcasted at over 60Hz. If your tv is 120 Hz, 240 Hz, 480Hz, etc., its the TV that is 'upconverting' the 60Hz and making it look smoother. The cable only carries the signal, that's it! The TV (using chipsets, processors, etc.) converts it to the higher Hz level. Any time you look at an HDMI cable package and see stuff like "120 Hz certified" or "240 Hz certified", those are not only bogus but also complete lies, as there are NO certifications for those things. Why? Because the cable only carries a signal... it has no idea, nor does it care what the TV does with the signal.

In a roundabout way, saying an HDMI cable is "120Hz certified" is as ridiculous as saying that the TV's power cord is "HD certified". Which is ridiculous... that cord only supplies power; the TV uses that power however it wants.

Well said, we can only try to educate people, some will listen and some will not. I talked to many friends and co-workers that wanted to go out and but $50 HDMIs, some followed my advice and bought the cheapest HDMI they could find and some went to big box electronic store and bought what the "expert" TV guy recommended.

Last edited:
I just think a lot of people are stuck on the 'analog' form of thinking. Back when component cables were all the rage, a quality, thick-gauge cable made more sense and usually improved the picture a little bit, if not more (although companies like Monster still overpriced these cables to death). Still, the price increase was somewhat justifiable. Nowadays with digital cables, the companies are playing off of peoples' old misconceptions (aka marketing at its finest).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back