Registration fees in your state

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you guys think about the registration fees in your state?

KY has to be the least expensive places to register vehicles I've ever been in. Received the registration renewal card in the mail for my old pickup. Whopping $0.63 for the next year. It has antique plates which are registered for life, so there's actually no registration fee per se, but you do have to pay taxes on the vehicle each year and maintain insurance or they'll suspend your registration. Antique/Historic vehicles are all valued at $250.

My Odyssey and Maxima each cost about $20 for the year, and the Pacifica will probably be around $60. I should also mention that there are no safety/emissions tests. New registrations or out-of-state vehicles require a quick VIN check at the local sheriff's office.

The most expensive place I've registered in was Colorado. I moved from there about 2 years ago, this same pickup cost me about $210 each year. Cars were cheaper, something older would run about $100 every year. I know lots of folks with new/newer vehicles that paid over $1,000 annually.

[Linked Image]

$100, every 2 years.

This doesn't include property tax, which is separate. Property tax runs us hundreds of dollars every year.

Base fee in Illinois is $101/year. If you want special plates the cost goes up.

The Ranger will qualify for Antique plates next year. If I'm still living in the state, I'm going to switch over because they're $50 for 5 years.

Originally Posted by StevieC
You don't want to live in Ontario, $120 a year now. My brother lives in Boston and pays $60 for 2 years!
crazy2.gif

Indiana charges a sliding tax every year as part of the plate registration...when I bought my 1989 GMC Jimmy, I had to write a check for $495 for the first year. It's gotten better since then, but there's still a portion of the plate fee that's really a tax.

IIRC its around $44 for light duty trailer (3500lb axle) and close to $60 for the vehicle.

Trailer is a rip off... car is one of the cheapest places.

$52.50 in WV. Worst secondary roads in the country. Colorado jeep trails are better.

Originally Posted by opus1
The Ranger will qualify for Antique plates next year. If I'm still living in the state, I'm going to switch over because they're $50 for 5 years.

Alright!
thumbsup2.gif

Just short of $400 for the Mazda. A huge chunk of that is for regional transits light rail which is not going to serve our area for 20 years if ever.

In case you haven't heard, CA costs a lot.
For example, just got the renewal for our 2006 TSX; $156.
We won't discuss the newer cars.
Of course, we drive a lot...
I just pay and forget about it.

Here in Nebraska, all my vehicles are on antique plates except the 2017 Nissan. The antique plates originally cost $65 (I think) and they are good for as long as you own the vehicle. No yearly fees of any kind, and no inspections of any kind on the old or new vehicles. Th vehicles not eligible for antique plates vary depending on the accessed value.

In Wisconsin it depends on the county, car, truck, motor cycle, farm and fuel type. (Farm trucks are biannual and cheaper even in hd trim)
Add in some areas require a smogging fee on your registration as well.

The base annual fee is usually around $75 for a half or quarter ton pickup, heavier is more, farm ismuch less.

Cars start at $75 as well but usually are required to pay wheel tax of which pickups and semis are exempt.
The roughly 2400 Cars in state that plug in or hybrids have to pay an extra $75-$100 above the base cost plus additional wheel tax.
One Milwaukee Volt owner had a $205 annual registration because of this.

Personally I think our registration fee system is [censored] backwards and not equally applied, a guy with a 20 year old metro has to pay 4x more than another guy with a brand new 6500 Ford on a farm,
doesn't make sense.

That said once the car hits 20 if you own another car you can get collector plates for $250 and never buy plates again, just can't drive in January.

Minnesota is based on the base value of the car and then drops every year until a vehicle is about 10 years old. Then it drops to a flat $35/year (plus an
extra $10 or $20 a year, depending on what county you're in).

No annual inspections.

A new $40,000 car is around $500/year. Drops to around $300/year at 5 years old.

A new $30,000 car is around $400/year. Drops to around $250/year at 5 years old.

Last edited:
SK (Canada):
Registration $C 68/yr [$US 52.17] (less my current safe drivers' discount of 14% = $C 59.60 [$US 45.72] For drivers with the fewest points on their license, the maximum discount is 25%. I received my second traffic ticket last year which impacted my discount ... I've been driving for 44 years.)

No province imposes an annual property tax. When I first heard about US states imposing one, I actually didn't believe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back