Continued mind-blowing prices for used/ salvage trailers

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
It is reported that there may be some softening in used vehicle prices.

I need to pick up a 1981 Yamaha XS1100 in Sioux Falls, SD that I won at auction (parts bike). Decided the most efficient course of action was to buy a salvage enclosed trailer within 500 miles of Sioux Falls, pickup the trailer, pickup the bike, and go on my way. Note I will be originating the trip from Seattle.

Targeted numerous trailers over the past month, could not even get close to a value buy. And note, these are salvage trailers, so a lot of time and additional money is required to make the trailer legally registered. One can't register a salvage vehicle (I know of two work arounds, but big money for the workaround).

Found a single axle trailer at the auction house in Sioux Falls. Bingo, I can pickup the trailer and bike all at once. Can't believe what this SALVAGE trailer sold for before fees:

Note the below example is a SOLD example, not a pie in the sky asking "I know what I got" price. People are paying $4500 for a used single axle enclosed basic trailer, with no history. I have two other like examples this. This one didn't meet the reserve price in Denver, but a single axle at a buy it now of $6200, so $7200 for a single axle enclosed trailer at auction in Denver: https://www.iaai.com/VehicleDetail/39299028~US

My max bid for the below trailer was $925. That means I would pay $1025 with fees, and the trailer is salvage so figure another $500 to make the trailer registerable. The trailer sold for $2,600, so $3600 paid at pickup, and another $500 to make registerable, plus sales tax if required in the registered state, likely $4500 +/- for a salvage single axle trailer that is seven years old, with no inspection, no history on how it was used, likely needs new tires, etc.....

2017 DOOLITTLE CARGO TRAILER 6X10​

• Lost By: $1,675.00
  • Current Bid: $925.00
  • Max Bid: $925.00
  • Winning Bid: $2,600.00

resizer (4).jpg

Is enclosed mandatory? Parts bike...... tarp is not possible?
No, enclosed is not mandatory. Don't even need a tarp, the bike has been sitting outside at the auction house for well over six months.

I was just looking for a little trailer- and can't believe a single axle salvage (not rebuilt) SOLD at an auction for that kind of money, likely not inspectable, WOW. I am seeing that all over the upper Midwest/ mountain west area........ I sense if the was Louisiana, Mississippi, etc- these kind of prices might not be as high.

One word answer: Sturgis?
Sorry, I don't understand your comment.

It is rumored that dozens of stolen trailers are found annually at Daytona bike week. For Sturgis, I think there are numerous bike transporters that can load a dozen bikes that transport individual's bike from Sturgis for bikers that don't have the time and/or energy to ride their bike back to the East Coas, Southeast, etc.

Get a $2500-$3500 liftgate for your truck. Cheap and super useful. Like you said, the bike has been sitting outside for countless months so enclosed doesn’t matter as much.

Been a while but I recall them holding value. Worse, they get used and abused, and still hold value. And some number are not well made.

Still holding onto mine.

I think in your case it might be less expensive getting a pickup to haul the bike. You can use a cheap ramp and have a couple guys help you load it up. Pulling a huge trailer will cost a small fortune in gas versus just driving a truck with a bike in the back. Around here all the construction workers pull those types of trailers and rarely use their fancy trucks to haul products to job sites. I guess if they always bring big money the trailers should resale for a great price especially if they are cleaned, detailed and repainted. Some of those salvage trailers don't really have much damage on them too and that is why they go for so much money.

I kind of thought that you already had a trailer?

I wonder if people are buying them to hoard in.
I have three trailers, a 12 foot enclosed dual axle, a 16 foot enclosed dual axle with seven foot height, and a Featherlite gooseneck enclosed with a ramp at the rear and a ramp on the side.

We are moving (again) next month, and the trailers will be full. I also have constraints on time. I simply thought I could pick up a trailer within five hundred miles of Sioux Falls, SD at a price I thought was reasonable. Maybe it's just my age, I can't imagine paying after costs, OOA $4500 for a single axle enclosed trailer with a rebuilt title, and no prior ownership history, and not inspectable prior to purchase.

Who has $4500 to spend on a little single axle enclosed trailer with a salvage/ rebuilt title.......

We are moving (again) next month, and the trailers will be full. I also have constraints on time. I simply thought I could pick up a trailer within five hundred miles of Sioux Falls, SD at a price I thought was reasonable. Maybe it's just my age, I can't imagine paying after costs, OOA $4500 for a single axle enclosed trailer with a rebuilt title, and no prior ownership history, and not inspectable prior to purchase.

Who has $4500 to spend on a little single axle enclosed trailer with a salvage/ rebuilt title.......
But when was the last time you bought a trailer? I mean, its very tempting to think about pre-pandemic pricing on just about everything... but everything has gone up by some percentage since then. Some worse than others. I would not think trailers would be worse than other things (cars went way up), but even still I'd assume 25% more today automatically on anything, maybe 50% even. Cars, that's like 2x or 3x it seems.

But when was the last time you bought a trailer? I mean, its very tempting to think about pre-pandemic pricing on just about everything... but everything has gone up by some percentage since then. Some worse than others. I would not think trailers would be worse than other things (cars went way up), but even still I'd assume 25% more today automatically on anything, maybe 50% even. Cars, that's like 2x or 3x it seems.
I bought two of the three trailers I own at auction in the spring/summer of 2022.

I am just struggling to grasp that a beat up single axle enclosed trailer with a salvage title is going for more money than some decent used cars...... the market determines value and obviously I just can't grasp it. Today- right this minute I can buy a one owner 2007 Arizona Sr citizen owned 2007 Buick Lucerne with 100k miles for the same price as a salvaged single axle enclosed trailer? Some things simply don't make sense.

I bought two of the three trailers I own at auction in the spring/summer of 2022.

I am just struggling to grasp that a beat up single axle enclosed trailer with a salvage title is going for more money than some decent used cars...... the market determines value and obviously I just can't grasp it. Today- right this minute I can buy a one owner 2007 Arizona Sr citizen owned 2007 Buick Lucerne with 100k miles for the same price as a salvaged single axle enclosed trailer? Some things simply don't make sense.
Supply and demand? Maybe trailer sales were down and less units were manufactured during the pandemic?

Or it's just wild hopes and dreams. Or regional pricing. Maybe they are stupid high in that area, due to supply, but normal priced elsewhere?

Trailer prices are nuts for what they are in labor and materials. Used trailer prices are absolutely INSANE for that they are and how long they have been previously abused.

• Sad
Reactions: GON
Back