Ran Out of Fuel, Re-Fuelled, Then Car Won't Start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Put more than one gallon of fuel in it.

Since you're a mechanic, does this usually remedy the problem? And have you ever seen someone foul their spark plugs to the point of needing replacement just from running out of fuel?

I presume you have another vehicle so that you can actually go to the dealer. Buy a 5-gallon red can at walmart, fill it up and take it to the dealer. Put it in your car by yourself. Take the spare key with you if needed. If the car starts, you will know.

Come to think of it, I will buy 4 new brand new NGK plugs, spark plug socket, wrenches and replace them right in the parking lot if the car did not start after putting in the gas.

If I were in your shoes, this is exactly what I would do. I have a feeling that you are actually talking to Service Adviser at that dealership and not with the mechanic at all.

- Vikas

I never heard of fouled plugs from running out of fuel. Something else caused that, or they are not fouled and the dealer is trying to rip you off.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I never heard of fouled plugs from running out of fuel. Something else caused that, or they are not fouled and the dealer is trying to rip you off.

I agree with this. For example, I've run the lawnmower out of gas numerous times, and the spark plug is always immaculate after every season.

I would try what others say, add 5 gallons of gas. If that does not cure things then they need to check fuel pump pressure. If you need to replace the fuel pump, get a good one and not an aftermarket.

Bring someone with you, put your ear to the fuel tank, and have them turn the key on and off. If you can't hear the fuel pump.... It's either the fuel pump, or a relays...

Also, I just thought of this. Does your car have a fuel pump reset switch? See if you can find it, and reset it, just for giggles, and see if that does anything.

All symptoms when the car actually died on you relate to bad fuel pump (and/or associated circuitry such as relay/fuse/wiring). What did throw me off was the laundry list from the dealer did not include anything fuel pump related items. If the dealer had told you that all the garbage in the trunk choked your fuel pump AND also the injectors got plugged up, I would believe that as a possibility. One would think that dealer would at least try to make the diagnosis believable if he going to go for it! I am disappointed with the quality of lies being fed to the customers by dealers. It is as if they don't even care to appear honest.

- Vikas

I don't get what they're saying, what exactly is preventing the car from running in their opinion? "fuel system is completely fouled" Okay, did they say the thingamajig is broken?
laugh.gif

Does the fuel pump work or not?

I've pulled gas tanks from 40+ year old cars before that were running just fine. I don't buy that pull the tank and clean it garbage.

Why did OP go to the dealer in the first place, car is out of warranty, isn't it?

I think that dealer is feeding Chuck a bunch of [censored] since these types of problems can be a cash cow for them. First they will replace plugs, run some fuel cleaner, if it fails they will continue with throwing parts at the problem. Eventually they will make their way to the fuel pump, but you will have to spend a lot of money to get to that point.

Go to an indy mechanic and save yourself a lot of headaches and money.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I presume you have another vehicle so that you can actually go to the dealer. Buy a 5-gallon red can at walmart, fill it up and take it to the dealer. Put it in your car by yourself. Take the spare key with you if needed. If the car starts, you will know.

agreed
also...if this does not work..what about a independent local trusted mechanic? Probally more truthful and cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got back from the dealership and oh man I don't even know where to begin! Here's the story:

Per the advice of several members, I inquired with the service manager as to whether I could try adding a couple more gallons of gas since AAA only gave me a tiny amount (~1 gallon). She advised me against this, citing how it wouldn't work since the master tech has all this experience with Mitsubishis and I'd need to do the recommended $700+ repair. At that point I became so pessimistic that I test drove a new Lancer and talked about trading in my old, broken Eclipse (they offered me $2500 for it).

Here's where it gets interesting. As I was inside talking with the salesman (an hour ago), I heard the signature sound of my car starting! It's a very distinct sound cuz I have a Borla exhaust and headers, so it can be heard from far away. I run outside and to my car and to my excitement it was running and idling just fine! Only a little bit of smoke/condensation came out of the exhaust for a couple minutes. Man was I happy, it felt like the day 6 years ago when I bought the car. So guess why it was running? One of those techs had dumped a couple gallons of gas in it, probably because they needed to move the car at the end of the day.

I drove it home just fine and of course, gave it a full tank of Shell V-Power on the way home. Drove perfectly. I am just ecstatic right now. Not just cuz I avoided a very costly repair, not just cuz my recommendation turned out to be correct over what the sales manager told me, but I am now rescued from getting lured into trading it in and making payments on a new Lancer.
smile.gif
Time to sit back and celebrate this with a Long Island Iced Tea tonight!!
11.gif
If any of you guys who gave your helpful advice were local I'd treat all of you to Long Islands as well. Thanks so much BITOG!

Chuck, I guess you'll never run it below a quarter of a tank again.
wink.gif
Look at all the time/hassle you went through. I'm aware that my 96 sunfire is known for fuel pump failures. I don't let the gas drop below a quarter of a tank and I'm on the original fuel pump. (knock on wood)

Last edited:
You were exceedingly lucky that somebody else started your car and you were able to hear it. How in the world did you start buying a new car from that dealer? You have been on BITOG long enough to know that. This situation is so uncannily similar to another one but there he ended up paying lots and lots of dollars.

Do you accept that dealer was out to get you???? Were you able to take your car back? How much did he finally charge you for "fixing" your car?

Anybody else wants to chime in to justify that dealership? Or can we conclude that it was an outright fraud from this place to swindle Chuck?

- Vikas

You were exceedingly lucky that somebody else started your car and you were able to hear it. How in the world did you start buying a new car from that dealer? You have been on BITOG long enough to know that. This situation is so uncannily similar to another one but there he ended up paying lots and lots of dollars.

Do you accept that dealer was out to get you????

- Vikas

Absolutely the dealer was out to get me!

I suppose I let myself become vulnerable cuz my stupidity in letting my tank go dry like that prepared me for a very expensive lesson. I was stuck between a rock and a hard place since my car had to be towed in, so I was literally at the mercy of the dealer unless I was going to arrange to have it towed to an independent mechanic.

What's funny is even after the car was running perfect, the salesman still wanted me to stick around to negotiate a trade in.

What is the hydraulic explanation for needing to add at extra couple of gallon before the fuel pump will run? Does it air lock once it runs out and then needs to be re primed with the "extra" gas?

Chuck needs to find a good local trustworthy mechanic and have him check the fuel pump pressure and volume. It is possible that this episode could have severely stressed it and it might die sooner than later.

Last edited:
What is the hydraulic explanation for needing to add at extra couple of gallon before the fuel pump will run? Does it air lock once it runs out and then needs to be re primed with the "extra" gas?

Chuck needs to find a good local trustworthy mechanic and have him check the fuel pump pressure and volume. It is possible that this episode could have severely stressed it and it might die sooner than later.

Good call. I really have to start doing some research to find a good, reputable mechanic who knows foreign cars.

If the fuel pump is now on its last breath, could it fail without warning and strand me? It was [censored] waiting on the side of I-90 in 30 degree weather late on a Saturday night coming back from the airport! I'm wondering if maybe I should replace the fuel pump as preventive maintenance? I can buy a Denso one for $100. Denso makes many OEM parts for Mitsubishi and other Japanese brands.

I figured that was your problem, Glad it worked out.

1 gallon just isn't enough fuel to submerge the fuel pump, Especially if your fuel pump is in the back of the tank and your car's leaning forward or the other way around.

The situation ended well, and it's a good lesson, too. The [censored] dealers are always ready to prey on people in need.

Chuck, you know very well that things worked out well for you, in what could have been a very frustrating and expensive experience. I hope you reflected on that while having your iced tea.

You should have given that [censored] at the dealership an earful, noting that you aren't going back there again. Also, it wouldn't hurt if you wrote a letter to the editor of your local community newspaper or posted your thoughts on craigslist.

As far as I know, only one gallon of fuel was put it after the car died.
So, put more gas in!
All those part failures quoted by the dealer don't sound right to me at all.
If they are true, then there are a LOT of coincidences going on.
Fouled plugs from running out of gas? C'mon now...

I don't think they actually said that running out of gas fouled the plugs right? They just said the plugs were fouled.

Anyway this dealer seems sleazy, but I'd still pull the plugs to ascertain their condition. If they are indeed fouled, as least you know they bothered to look at them. If they aren't fouled, then you know they're even sleazier than sleazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back