R.I.P. Robin Williams...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
R80RS said:
His Wikipedia page is reporting "The coroner's office ruled the cause of death as suicide by asphyxiation...". He was pronounced dead at the scene.

I was never a big fan though. He was pretty uneven. A lot of comedians are good actors--even Adam Sandler. Williams wasn't one of them.

Adam Sandler a better actor than Robin Williams!
shocked.gif

It's one of those things that hits you like a hammer, then in two seconds you realise that it was always going to go that way, and there's really nothing that anyone could have done to stop it.

I hope Robin gets some peace before the next tour, and his family can forgive and remember with love, and not beat themselves up with the things that they could have done if only they knew.

I remember seeing him at first on "Happy Days" as the Mork character, and thinking, "Who IS this guy?" Then the network spun the character off to its own series, and I thought, "This guy is great, but he'll burn out early."

But he didn't. He lasted more than 30 years.

He was not only a comic and a comic actor, but a dramatic actor as well: "Dead Poets Society," "Seize the Day," "One Hour Photo," "Bicentennial Man," and others I can't think of.

I think I read somewhere that he and Christopher Reeve were classmates (and roommates?) at Juilliard, in New York. Imagine seeing the two of them having breakfast in a diner circa 1974 . . .

Originally Posted By: Vikas
didn't he have a prime time show going on right now?

He was starring in "The Crazy Ones," a fast-paced sitcom from David E. Kelley about a Chicago ad agency. Sarah Michelle Gellar played his grown daughter. The scripts used Williams's own background with drugs and alcohol -- his character, the head of the ad agency, was a recovering addict/alcoholic. The series didn't get renewed, but it had a good deal of charm.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
I remember seeing him at first on "Happy Days" as the Mork character, and thinking, "Who IS this guy?" Then the network spun the character off to its own series, and I thought, "This guy is great, but he'll burn out early."

But he didn't. He lasted more than 30 years.

He was not only a comic and a comic actor, but a dramatic actor as well: "Dead Poets Society," "Seize the Day," "One Hour Photo," "Bicentennial Man," and others I can't think of.

I think I read somewhere that he and Christopher Reeve were classmates (and roommates?) at Juilliard, in New York. Imagine seeing the two of them having breakfast in a diner circa 1974 . . .

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000245/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

Good info.

I heard a guy say the other day "no cure for depression just treatment" . Williams was honest. He said he went to a rehab in wine country to keep his options open.

Regarding the friendship between Christopher Reeve and Robin Williams: http://www.buzzfeed.com/lyapalater/the-l...opher-re#gk6yta

A cold rainy morning in a Village diner ca. 1974. Cloudy windows, clatter of dishes, clink of silverware on plates. And over in a booth in the corner, these two guys. They couldn't be more different: the tall guy must be over six feet, with curly dark hair and a grin like a rube from Indiana; the short one, hyper, pixie-like, making the tall one laugh.

"Look at them guys," says one cab driver.

Another nods. "Yeah. Reminds me of Superman, and that imp he was always sending back to the fifth dimension in the comics. Mr. Mix-something. . . ."

I'll add "Awakenings" and "Goodwill Hunting" (best supporting actor Oscar - one Oscar award that they got right) to the list.

I like many others who do not suffer from mental illnesses like the Bi-polar condition and all the baggage/side effects that accompanies it, have a difficult time understanding what goes on and goes wrong within that persons mind, especially to compel them to take their own life.

I like Robin despite all his faults, he was truly a unique and talented actor and individual.

R.I.P.

To lose a person to such a terrible disease such as mental illness is hard to convey.

Then lose a person with such immense talent from acting, performing, giving, and such a strong sense of civic duty is just tragic.

May he rest. I pray for peace and strength for his family.

Regarding the friendship between Christopher Reeve and Robin Williams: http://www.buzzfeed.com/lyapalater/the-l...opher-re#gk6yta

A cold rainy morning in a Village diner ca. 1974. Cloudy windows, clatter of dishes, clink of silverware on plates. And over in a booth in the corner, these two guys. They couldn't be more different: the tall guy must be over six feet, with curly dark hair and a grin like a rube from Indiana; the short one, hyper, pixie-like, making the tall one laugh.

"Look at them guys," says one cab driver.

Another nods. "Yeah. Reminds me of Superman, and that imp he was always sending back to the fifth dimension in the comics. Mr. Mix-something. . . ."

Thank you for this link. The story brought a smile to my face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back