R.I.P. Robin Williams...

Status
Not open for further replies.
RIP. Though he will be remembered for countless roles and characters through the years, for me, my favorite role was seeing him play Andrew Martin in "Bicentennial Man". He showed us how an android longing to be human could highlight the level of humanity to which we all aspire to reach. Thanks for the memories!

Was he married with kids?

RIP
frown.gif

Absolutely tragic and one of my favourite actors. from Mork and Mindy to What Dreams May Come. He could play everything from a creepy guy (one hour photo) to the ultimate funny man (him, live on Broadway).

He was a brilliant man with an incredible career. The fact that this may be suicide saddens me deeply. He had an amazing life, and while we all have our ups and downs I must believe that he had far more ups than downs. I cannot fathom him being driven to take his own life.

We have lost one of the funniest most humble people on earth. I suppose my favorite was Good Morning Vietnam. A lot of the scenes were totally impromptu. It's not often that I genuinely feel sad when a celebrity passes away, but I do with this guy.
R.I.P Robin

Last edited:
Rest in Peace. My two favorite movies were of his. Mrs. Doubtfire and Good Will Hunting. I'll definitely miss your quirky humor.

He seemed to be a genuinely good person and what I loved most about him was he wasn't afraid to talk about his personal problems and especially his substance abuse. He's one of a handful of top level celebrities that would share their personal issues in a down to Earth manner like mere mortals do all the time. Of late he made it a point to talk about that stuff when he was on talk shows and such, knowing it might help others deal with the same issues. I wish could have overcome those demons.

RIP

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Absolutely tragic and one of my favourite actors. from Mork and Mindy to What Dreams May Come. He could play everything from a creepy guy (one hour photo) to the ultimate funny man (him, live on Broadway).

He was a brilliant man with an incredible career. The fact that this may be suicide saddens me deeply. He had an amazing life, and while we all have our ups and downs I must believe that he had far more ups than downs. I cannot fathom him being driven to take his own life.

Well written bud. Definitely an incredible loss for our world.

Originally Posted By: R80RS
His Wikipedia page is reporting "The coroner's office ruled the cause of death as suicide by asphyxiation...". He was pronounced dead at the scene.

I read somewhere that underlying depression is common in comedians and comic actors. What a loss and tragedy all around.

I once had a psychiatrist relative walk into the room many years ago while I was watching Williams carrying on on a talk show "Mork and Mindy" style. Psychiatrist who had no idea who he was, instantly said: "That man is a manic-depressive" (bi-polar now). Such people are at great risk in their depressive phase. Its a shame that such talented people have to be miserable a considerable part of their lives. I was never a big fan though. He was pretty uneven. A lot of comedians are good actors--even Adam Sandler. Williams wasn't one of them.

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
His Wikipedia page is reporting "The coroner's office ruled the cause of death as suicide by asphyxiation...". He was pronounced dead at the scene.

I read somewhere that underlying depression is common in comedians and comic actors. What a loss and tragedy all around.

I once had a psychiatrist relative walk into the room many years ago while I was watching Williams carrying on on a talk show "Mork and Mindy" style. Psychiatrist who had no idea who he was, instantly said: "That man is a manic-depressive" (bi-polar now). Such people are at great risk in their depressive phase. Its a shame that such talented people have to be miserable a considerable part of their lives.

I would posit that the most creative and brilliant artists (in any venue, be it acting, music....etc) all "suffer" from some form of mental illness. It is, in effect, a well from which they can (and do) draw and it allows them to become these other people they portray, to write the music that others don't and defines their uniqueness and brilliance that they are identified by. But it of course is a double-edged sword and this blessing is also a curse that leads to cases of extreme unrest, instability and "episodes" where they are completely off their rocker.

Genius is seldom sane.

I just feel bad for his Wife and three kids that now must deal with his suicide, and all the ramifications thereof.

I once had a psychiatrist relative walk into the room many years ago while I was watching Williams carrying on on a talk show "Mork and Mindy" style. Psychiatrist who had no idea who he was, instantly said: "That man is a manic-depressive" (bi-polar now). Such people are at great risk in their depressive phase. Its a shame that such talented people have to be miserable a considerable part of their lives.

I would posit that the most creative and brilliant artists (in any venue, be it acting, music....etc) all "suffer" from some form of mental illness. It is, in effect, a well from which they can (and do) draw and it allows them to become these other people they portray, to write the music that others don't and defines their uniqueness and brilliance that they are identified by. But it of course is a double-edged sword and this blessing is also a curse that leads to cases of extreme unrest, instability and "episodes" where they are completely off their rocker.

Genius is seldom sane.

Very true.

A lot of comedians are good actors--even Adam Sandler. Williams wasn't one of them.

Errr... what?!
I know it's subjective and you're merely stating your opinion, but RW wasn't a good actor?
You might wanna watch some of his non-comedy movies like Awakenings, Insomnia, Good Will Hunting and One Hour Photo, and see his performances.

Comedy is my least favorite genre of movies, but RW was, IMO, highly talented in acting.

Adam Sandler? LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back