Quirky features on your cars?

Yeah, I've heard of that. Several cars have "after run" features for the blower fan for that reason, not many of them run on "full blast" however.
I'll venture to say that most replies will have to do with the infotainment features though.
On my 2018 MB for example, there are at least 4 different ways to change the radio station! A knob, a touchpad, several buttons on both the center armrest as well as the steering wheel!
And none of them will get you to the station you want unless you scroll forever!

My Tundra steering wheel controls have you press up and down to change tracks but push left and right to increase and decrease the volume. In my mind volume goes up and down and tracks for forward and backward. Volume in wife's RX 350 is up and down so Toyota got it right there.

Roll up windows? Lots of the kids friends have never used them before, and one had no clue at all what the handles were for!
Manual transmission too, a few hadn't been in a car with one.
My car still isn't "cool" though, they know that! lol

My 09 Camry adjusts the dash light brightness by turning the trip odometer reset button/ knob! As far as I can tell, the backlit gauges don't dim for the headlights, but need to be backlit to see during the day. They're a nice red/ orange color, good for night vision, but the stereo next to it is a much brighter turquoise!

My 21 Prius LE (small screen) will let me mute the screen brightness via several obscure menus. But if I go over a hill and my radio switches from HD to analog, it feels an obligation to light the screen up to let me know. If my BT connected phone gets a text it lights up and stays lit until I go through the three-touch-screen-button dance again.

The Prius does have a somewhat saab-esque "dark mode" if I turn the dash lights all the way down, completely darkening the steering wheel lights and, ironically, the dash dimmer control itself.

Older Subarus use to have the parking light switch on the upper steering wheel column cover. Mine, a 2012, has no switch there, just a raised piece of plastic of some sort, and I have no idea what it is.

My Hyundais the glove box light doesn't work unless the headlights are on. Took me years to figure that out.....

My C8 2022 Corvette has the interior 12v power socket under the glove box on the passenger side. You cannot see or reach it from the drivers seat.

I think they designed the interior of the car, and at the last minute discovered they forgot a power socket. So they stuck it where they could find some unused space.

To increase rear visibility, modern GM vehicles with a rear wiper (SUVs and CUVs) will automatically swipe the rear wiper if the front wipers were on and the vehicle is put into reverse. It will even do this if the wipers were on in the previous ignition cycle (as in, it was/is raining, you're returning to a parked vehicle, and reversing out of a parking spot).

First gen Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon had tailgate cables with multiple positions. Unhooking the cable and moving to the alternate position would hold the tailgate at the perfect angle for loading a 4x8 sheet level between the tailgate and wheelhouses.

Many new vehicles use the steering angle sensor and lateral/longitudinal/yaw sensors used by stability control systems to determine if you're driving in a parking lot. If you are, it won't auto-stop the engine if the vehicle has start/stop.

The TPMS system on some new vehicles will automatically recognize air being added to the tire and honk when the specific pressure is reached. No need for a tire gauge.

On my WRX, the passenger's side window will stop working if I've disconnected (and reconnected) the battery for any amount of time. To restore window operation, I have to do a hard-to-remember dance involving moving the switch up and down repeatedly while turning the key on and off. I don't think it is listed in the manual so it is only by blind luck that I eventually get the windows to work.

To increase rear visibility, modern GM vehicles with a rear wiper (SUVs and CUVs) will automatically swipe the rear wiper if the front wipers were on and the vehicle is put into reverse. It will even do this if the wipers were on in the previous ignition cycle (as in, it was/is raining, you're returning to a parked vehicle, and reversing out of a parking spot).

First gen Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon had tailgate cables with multiple positions. Unhooking the cable and moving to the alternate position would hold the tailgate at the perfect angle for loading a 4x8 sheet level between the tailgate and wheelhouses.

Many new vehicles use the steering angle sensor and lateral/longitudinal/yaw sensors used by stability control systems to determine if you're driving in a parking lot. If you are, it won't auto-stop the engine if the vehicle has start/stop.

The TPMS system on some new vehicles will automatically recognize air being added to the tire and honk when the specific pressure is reached. No need for a tire gauge.
I had a Altima rental about 5 years ago that had a low tire. TPMS told me the pressure and which tire. It was very cold and windy out as I got in and saw the warning. Got the hose out and started filling and first the car honked, then it flashed the lights twice and honked. The pressure was right on the recommended fill.

On my WRX, the passenger's side window will stop working if I've disconnected (and reconnected) the battery for any amount of time. To restore window operation, I have to do a hard-to-remember dance involving moving the switch up and down repeatedly while turning the key on and off. I don't think it is listed in the manual so it is only by blind luck that I eventually get the windows to work.
Hyundai has the switch dance for both sunroof and the power windows. Never seen it do any good though.

What are some quirky features on your cars? On our P2 Volvo, if the AC was on and certain conditions are met, the blower fan will turn on full blast shortly after the vehicle is turned off. This dries out the evaporator and prevents funky smells.
My parents have a Dodge Grand caravan from the Daimler Chrysler era. Last year my dad somehow hit some combination of buttons on the fob and all of the windows rolled down. He still doesn't know how he did it.

I had a Altima rental about 5 years ago that had a low tire. TPMS told me the pressure and which tire. It was very cold and windy out as I got in and saw the warning. Got the hose out and started filling and first the car honked, then it flashed the lights twice and honked. The pressure was right on the recommended fill.
The problem is that most of these convenience features probably won't work in 30 years

Lets see...
  1. My 04's sunroof stops halfway when retracting to make sure that you don't crush any limbs.
  2. The rear 6x9s "warm up" to full volume after 5 seconds or so. Handy for when you set the volume high and forget.
  3. Also, it has the Honda nav diag. You basically press map. a/c. and cancel for a few seconds and then you get a cool menu with a bunch of diag info. Same thing with the 14' and mom's 2G RL.
  4. Mom's 05' RL actually gives you DTCs through the navi when they occur.
  5. Mom's 05 and the '14 both display individual tire pressures. Pretty cool for an 05'.
  6. The 04' in general. No VVT at all, vacuum controlled cruise control, cable throttle, and a fwd longitudinally mounted V6 which has the diff bolt to the oil pan.
  7. 04' had On-Star back in the day. Doesn't work anymore due to the discontinuation of the 1G AMPS service in the US. Deleted it to save about 7-10 pounds.
  8. The 04' I think uses flex-joints to attach the front upper control arms to the frame. They aren't traditional bushings. They articulate about 15-20 degrees in all directions without deforming. I'll post pics if anyone is interested.

Back