Question for scooter owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TaterandNoodles
I have not been able to ride motorcycles for a few years now. Is it any easier or should I say more comfortable to ride a large scooter then it is a motorcycle?

Long story short, I have trouble with my joints particularly from my lower back down to my feet. From experience riding a traditional motorcycle is out. Either my knee will start hurting or my hip will bother me so I simply cannot stay in that position. I'm wondering if a scooter without the tank and engine between my knees would be more comfortable for me? It would have to be a larger scooter capable of highway speeds since I live in a rural area.

Short answer, yes. Long answer is a little more complicated. You are going to have to try several scoots to find a fit for you. There are a bunch of scoots with really cramped ergonomics.
You will find less hip pain with most scoots because your feet are flat on the floorboard, and the angles are around 90 degrees for hips, knees and ankles.
Your back may twinge from holding on to a high powered scoot and fighting wind. A windshield really helps.
My personal favorite is the Aprilia line of scoots. Italian made (love those wacky Italians) and true scoots, not cheap Chinese clones, or Japanese styling where you cant tell the Honda from the Suzuki. They are primary transportation in Italy, so they get run hard. I own a SportCity 250, and love it. Top speed just short of 85, smooth, and the best seat of any two wheeler I've ever had, BMW tourer included. I can ride 3 hours straight, no problem. 2 year unlimited mileage warranty, roadside assistance, and just a really sexy look for a scooter. My wife has a Scarabeo. Another beautiful scoot, her 125 will run 50 mph all day long and still get about 75 MPG. The Scarebeo line goes to 500cc. Both have great ergo's and plenty of room (seat to floorboard and bar height) to find that sweet spot where you can be comfy.
You may want to check out Vespa scooters too. Both Aprilia and Vespa are made by Piaggio.
My best friend at work just bought a Yamaha T-Max. 500cc twin. I haven't ridden it except a quick spin around a parking lot, but it's a big scooter. Feels heavy and stable, just large ergonomics. He loves it though, switching from a V-Strom, and in 6 months has scooted more on it than he did in 3 years on the Strom.
Here is a pic of the 2010 Scarebeo 500...
2010-Aprilia-Scarabeo-500-IE-Scooter-1.jpg

And the T-Max...
10MS_TMAX_sil_1_42c5b1e4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back