Long Lasting Motorcycle Tires?

I didn't realize that the CB1100 uses bias ply tires.

I've used many sets of the Bridgestone S11 Spitfires ad BT45/46 tires on two different classic bikes I have owned. Both the S11 and BT45 advertised for decades as having dual tread compound on rear tires. Harder in the center and soft at edges. Not on front tires. The BT46 makes no such claim. I've typically gotten about 7-8k miles out of fronts but no more than 4.5k miles on any rear. Often less. That includes radials on a newer bike I used to own. The old S11 did best on wear but would flat spot on any appreciable slab riding. Not so sure that the S11's are still around. I'm currently using a BT46 rear on my old Suzuki GS as it's the only tire left in a rear for my needed size. That is showing a good bit of wear after only 1500 miles. I'm a fairly conservative old rider. I don't see how folks get so much rear tire mileage on some tires. Then again, Pa. roads are kept freshly tar and chipped, so surfaces are pretty abrasive.

From my Beemer airhead days ('72 R75/5) the Michelin rubber was known for better wear. I believe their bias tires had changed models a few times, but I recall the Macadam 50's. The Metzler's were popular with some. Conti classics wore crazy quick. Pirelli had a bias as a Demon, I think. Known for flicking, not wear. Pirelli and Metzler became Chem China a few years ago. The last radials I bought for my V Strom were 80/20 Pirelli, Trail II? They were marked, made in Germany. Said to be a buy out for the tech and designs. Avon roadriders and RR II were know for good wear, but Avon is kaput. First to Cooper than Goodyear, who shut their bike tires down.

edit: Looks like Michelin Road Classics may be their current bias model.
Had a 1974 R75/6 BMW.... I would run Metzlers on mine....Boy do I miss that bike....

Last edited:
Back