Long Lasting Motorcycle Tires?

I was going to ask about longEST lasting motorcycle tires, but came to my senses before I clicked the "Post" button... lol

I'm running Bridgestone BT46ers on one bike (CB1100), and with about 7k on them, they're probably only good for one more season. I've been pretty happy with their performance and will probably replace with same, but the CT vs MT "discussion" elsewhere on the forum is making me wonder if I could dare to expect more from a MT...

I ran Shinko 777s on a different bike (shadow 750) and they barely lasted 6k. I won't be buying those again.

I currently have a Michelin Commander II on that bike and a Metzler 888 on the front. Two thousand miles in and they still look new. The Michelin is really impressive, but of course they discontinued that model... lol

My 3rd bike (also a Shadow 750) came with newish Kenda Cruz front and back, and while they're not as good as the Michelin Commander II, they are lasting much better than the Shinko 777.

I know it ultimately depends what kind of riding you do and where and when you ride, but I wanted to see if there are any long lasting nice grippy road tires that you would recommend.

Put a set of Metzelers on my Suzuki. Lasted ~8K, had good grip. Switched to Shinkos which I think evolved from Yokohamas. Better tread life. I think I bought them from Revzilla.

Have Metzellers ME888 marathon ultra on my Victory Hammer, 13k km.
I really like them, I think I'm half way trough their lifespan ( rear tire.) I don't think I'm going to run out of tread, more likely it will square off too much.

Mostly hwy millage
Eric

I'm getting good mileage from Bridgestone T31 tires on both my bikes. I have about 11,000 miles on the NC700X (approx 2000 left) and 7,000 miles on the ST1300 (approx 2000 miles left). I'm thinking the ST1300 is a pig at 760 lbs and is closer in power to your CB1100 than the NC700X.

I have a new set of T32 tires in the garage to put on over the winter (2nd set for the 700 and 3rd set for the ST). I get the typical 1 front = 2 rear mileage from the front tire on both bikes.

I was going to ask about longEST lasting motorcycle tires, but came to my senses before I clicked the "Post" button... lol

I'm running Bridgestone BT46ers on one bike (CB1100), and with about 7k on them, they're probably only good for one more season. I've been pretty happy with their performance and will probably replace with same, but the CT vs MT "discussion" elsewhere on the forum is making me wonder if I could dare to expect more from a MT...

I ran Shinko 777s on a different bike (shadow 750) and they barely lasted 6k. I won't be buying those again.

I currently have a Michelin Commander II on that bike and a Metzler 888 on the front. Two thousand miles in and they still look new. The Michelin is really impressive, but of course they discontinued that model... lol

My 3rd bike (also a Shadow 750) came with newish Kenda Cruz front and back, and while they're not as good as the Michelin Commander II, they are lasting much better than the Shinko 777.

I know it ultimately depends what kind of riding you do and where and when you ride, but I wanted to see if there are any long lasting nice grippy road tires that you would recommend.
I got pretty good wear out of Michelin Commanders on my Electra Glide.
but that isn't exactly a sport bike but do remember of all the tires I went thru
they lasted the longest on the rear..
some of them would go 12000-13000 miles.
front tires would last at least double what the rears lasted
no matter what brand I had.

In my 45+ years of riding and replacing tires. Every front tire has last 7-9K miles. Every rear tire except the OEM (semi knobby) on my 1991 R100 gs have last between 12 to 14K.

Last edited:
It doesn't seem like there are many options in the sizes you need.
On the CB1100, this is definitely a problem. Even when a manufacturer makes a few that fit, it's always a chore finding a retailer that has any in stock.

I'm getting good mileage from Bridgestone T31 tires on both my bikes. I have about 11,000 miles on the NC700X (approx 2000 left) and 7,000 miles on the ST1300 (approx 2000 miles left). I'm thinking the ST1300 is a pig at 760 lbs and is closer in power to your CB1100 than the NC700X.

I have a new set of T32 tires in the garage to put on over the winter (2nd set for the 700 and 3rd set for the ST). I get the typical 1 front = 2 rear mileage from the front tire on both bikes.
I only got 6200mi out of the rear t31 on my Versys 1000.

Front only lasted 8700mi.

And I ride like an old person.

The T32 is a bit better than the T31, but still the rear only lasted 6800mi.

I decided to switch brand to Dunlop, will report next year.

I didn't realize that the CB1100 uses bias ply tires.

I've used many sets of the Bridgestone S11 Spitfires ad BT45/46 tires on two different classic bikes I have owned. Both the S11 and BT45 advertised for decades as having dual tread compound on rear tires. Harder in the center and soft at edges. Not on front tires. The BT46 makes no such claim. I've typically gotten about 7-8k miles out of fronts but no more than 4.5k miles on any rear. Often less. That includes radials on a newer bike I used to own. The old S11 did best on wear but would flat spot on any appreciable slab riding. Not so sure that the S11's are still around. I'm currently using a BT46 rear on my old Suzuki GS as it's the only tire left in a rear for my needed size. That is showing a good bit of wear after only 1500 miles. I'm a fairly conservative old rider. I don't see how folks get so much rear tire mileage on some tires. Then again, Pa. roads are kept freshly tar and chipped, so surfaces are pretty abrasive.

From my Beemer airhead days ('72 R75/5) the Michelin rubber was known for better wear. I believe their bias tires had changed models a few times, but I recall the Macadam 50's. The Metzler's were popular with some. Conti classics wore crazy quick. Pirelli had a bias as a Demon, I think. Known for flicking, not wear. Pirelli and Metzler became Chem China a few years ago. The last radials I bought for my V Strom were 80/20 Pirelli, Trail II? They were marked, made in Germany. Said to be a buy out for the tech and designs. Avon roadriders and RR II were know for good wear, but Avon is kaput. First to Cooper than Goodyear, who shut their bike tires down.

edit: Looks like Michelin Road Classics may be their current bias model.

Last edited:
It would be helpful to the put the tire sizes, weight and speed codes when asking for tire recommendations. You don't even list the year of your bike.

I have Dunlop Elite 4's (aka E4) on my Valk, they have lasted 8K miles and have something left, the front more than the rear. I have no idea if they are available in your bike's sizes. I find them very grippy, and I lean a LOT.

i don’t have a cruiser anymore but I have been very happy with Michelin Road 4s and 5s on my FJ-09. I had the higher-spec Bridgestone Battlaxe tires (I think BT-31?) on a different bike that were very good as well.

I do not prioritize long lasting on a motorcycle tire, though I never had serious issues with wear. What matters to me is wet grip.

Back