BMW K1100LT - worth considering when riding two up?

As I get older, I'm considering getting back on a bike.
My last bike was a 2003 Suzuki SV650s. While I enjoyed the freedom and enjoyment of riding, I didn't like the position or lack of comfort of that particular bike.
I'm also considering bringing my significant other along, as she likes taking trips away from home.
We've mainly focused on smaller trips within the PNW.

I've flirted with the idea of a Concourse 14/FJR 1300 for the touring aspect (comfort, hard bags etc.), but recently an older BMW bike came available at a significant discount.
The BMW in question is a 1992 model and seems well cared for.
Is this something I can depend on? or will it be more of a garage space holder?
Are spares reasonably priced/sourced?
Any other alternatives I should be considering?

thanks in advance.

Were talking the one with the finned black valve cover hanging out one side because its a 4 cylinder laying on its side right?

It is a nice bike, but old and i would check how available parts are - the germans typically consider things 20 years old EOL, though BMW Tradition may have stuff if that's a thing for bikes.

Id say most things this age condition before actual brand /model.

Last edited:
Not sure I'd mess with any bike made in the 90's or older unless it was the most common model for the decade as part supply and cost is gonna be a pain.

Bet you and your lady would look good on a new honda shadow arrow. A new honda for 8k US sounds like something to gander unless you really want a sport bike, though sport bikes aren't great for taking trips, a cruiser is better suited. I checked the canada version of honda's moto site and it doesn't show up so i don't know if it's available over there.

I think you should just find a new bike altogether, but research every brands offerings and pick your list then go window shopping at the dealers to find what you like. If you're just cruising a smaller
A few ideas https://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/story/bikes/10-best-cruisers-under-10k-2021/

Here's another one I'm considering.
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/pml/mcd/d/vancouver-2004-bmw-k1200/7681138492.html
As with most older Euro offerings, I'm aware of the need to invest some time and $$.
So any savings in the purchase cost will quickly be spent in maintenance.

My brother in law has one of those (well its an S not an LT but same bike) and i almost bought a new one, i'm this is from memory but:

My BIL has had 2 fairly major issues with his, he takes pretty good care of it:
  • the clutch, which requires splitting the engine and trans which basically means splitting the bike in half (K1100 and K75 same but its not holding 140 or whatever HP)
  • IIRC the ABS pump/linked braking all runs through a valve assy with integrated electronics which went bad.
Each of those was about 2000 IIRC and are fairly common.

If the suspension is the same as the S the anti dive/squat is so good it is disconcerting, it almost acts backwards from what you expect and will take some getting used to

At the time they came out they were considered not DIY friendly as even the master cylinder top required a special tool to remove, i'm sure you can get the tools but you'll probably need some to do basic service on it.

On the up side it is quite the performer i think it would be considered a fast touring bike even today...

I know this is probably taboo, but have you ridden an Electra Glide or Road King, if you just want to cruise. and can find a not very messed with one they are nice bikes and parts are very available at least down here.

A few ideas https://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/story/bikes/10-best-cruisers-under-10k-2021/

I think pretty much every single bike on that list would be a miserable tourer two up over about 50 miles. And i'm not saying they are bad bikes in fact i really like several of them but if i was going on a road trip two up, Id pick the well cared for 92 K1100LT every time...

I don't think you could beat a 1500 Goldwing. Wife and I would travel all over on our 1989 and has great rain protection. We would ride in the rain all the way to Branson and only got my elbows wet. Was very reliable and sold it when I broke my hip and it had 96k on it.

My brother in law has one of those (well its an S not an LT but same bike) and i almost bought a new one, i'm this is from memory but:

My BIL has had 2 fairly major issues with his, he takes pretty good care of it:
  • the clutch, which requires splitting the engine and trans which basically means splitting the bike in half (K1100 and K75 same but its not holding 140 or whatever HP)
  • IIRC the ABS pump/linked braking all runs through a valve assy with integrated electronics which went bad.
Each of those was about 2000 IIRC and are fairly common.

If the suspension is the same as the S the anti dive/squat is so good it is disconcerting, it almost acts backwards from what you expect and will take some getting used to

At the time they came out they were considered not DIY friendly as even the master cylinder top required a special tool to remove, i'm sure you can get the tools but you'll probably need some to do basic service on it.

On the up side it is quite the performer i think it would be considered a fast touring bike even today...

I know this is probably taboo, but have you ridden an Electra Glide or Road King, if you just want to cruise. and can find a not very messed with one they are nice bikes and parts are very available at least down here.

You just saved me a lot of writing. I just sold a 2006 BMW and I am riding an Electra Glide Classic. And I am very happy with the decision.

I'm pretty sure (not certain) that the big BMWs pre-2007 were dry clutch and yes the clutch job is that bad. And yes if anything goes wrong with the brakes or the electronics it is that bad. And yes the special tools add up quick. And yes you can easily put the purchase cost of an older but entirely serviceable used Harley into BMW upgrades, especially when you get into suspension.

Don't get me wrong, the BMW was a fantastic bike. If it's the bike you like and you can afford the maintenance and repairs, well, there is a reason why the R1200GS is one of the most popular and capable adventure bikes that has even been made.

The only money I spend on the Electra Glide is gas, oil changes, and tires, and it doesn't quit. Zero maintenance problems and I can take it about 95% of the places I ever took the BMW.

I owned and rode my K1200LT for over a decade. Nicknamed "the flying brick" after the "laid on its side" inline 4, mine was Uber-reliable with nothing but routine maintenance required. Routine maintenance was ez-pz. That engine had been around for a loooong time and any bugs that had existed had long since been worked out. Not going to outrun a sport bike by any means, but plenty of power for spirited riding and a good level of refinement.

I replaced my seat with an aftermarket seat (as do many, many BMW riders - their stock seats just plain bite). Toured the circumference of the US and did any number of 500-1000 mile (not recommended) days. Like most BMWs, it helps to be 6' plus as the bike is tall. It was the best handling tourer (like being the tallest pygmy?) at the time and lean angles were good - rode those southern roads like the Cherohala, the Blue Ridge and the Dragon, etc. numerous times on it. The bike could feel top-heavy at very slow speeds and parking lot maneuvering could be challenging.

While mine did not suffer from this problem, there was an issue on some with the factory-set preload that could grenade the final (shaft) drive. The fix is well known and not a huge deal. I had mine checked prophylactically and it was a-ok.The air flow management on this bike was superb. I could ride at speed in the rain and largely stay dry and I suffered no buffeting whatsoever. with the electrically operated windscreen and the separate on-the-fly adjustable winglets, you could adjust for more air (hot conditions) or less (cool conditions).

I owned a Road King before the LT and couldn't wait to get rid of it after my first 500 mile ride. I consider it an around-town bike except if it's hot and then you need a nomex lined right pant leg to keep from getting burned on a warm day in traffic. Non-existent lean angles and zero refinement or suspension but you do get "potato-potato" if that's your thing ;-).

I also currently own a last-generation Gold Wing (along with my 5th GS) and consider it to be a fine bike with a superb engine and great reliability, but lacking in the "sporting" department and while airflow management is good, it doesn't measure up to the LT. Wheres the LT felt like it was carved from a solid block of unobtanium, the GW has a cheaper Japanese feel to it (similar to German vs Japanese cars). It is more manageable at low speeds (around town esp) and for riders under about 6'. There is absolutely no reason to opt for the 4 cylinder GL1500 (which was a very nice bike in its time) - the 6 is THE way to go - superb turbine-like operation - one of the best engines ever to find its way into a motorcycle. I found the stock seat to be comfortable and the pillion seating/position is the best in the business comfort-wise. Reliability is anvil-like.

YMMV ;-)

Last edited:
An afterthought -- a lot of the objections I hear to Harleys is handling and overall performance, and these objections are legitimate in the stock configuration. Stock HD suspension is notoriously bad. If you upgrade the rear shocks the difference is amazing.

If you can afford Legends or Wilburs, great. If not, a set of YSS shocks will make a tremendous difference at a very reasonable cost. I took the stock HD air over oil shocks off and put on a set of YSS that only have rebound damping control and I specified a spring that was suitable for the purpose. I had TFX shocks on the BMW and the Harley with the TSS shocks corners and handles on the same roads every bit as well as the BMW.

The point is, this wasn't a big upgrade and the difference was amazing. If you have the money for better shocks with compression and rebound damping and you get them sprung and set up for your application, the bike can be quite impressive. 500 mile days on this bike are effortless.

Hard pass on the old BMW unless maintaining it and pride of ownership of a vintage vehicle is your thing.

Without question if I was to buy a bike other than my 2014 Harley Road King which my wife and I enjoy immensely and even if I wanted a change.
The Concourse 14/FJR 1300 would be one of the top 3 on my list.
Kawasaki Concours 14 which I have looked at many times, I REALLY like the value in this bike, with I had one as a second bike, sporty tourers scare my wife though and why I still have my RK which I love, dont get me wrong.
One more would be ________ because I haven't looked lately I do not know.

I would encourage anyone on the fence to seriously consider a newer bike that has ABS. It is to me a HUGE safety advantage and honestly, you are responsible for the person who is riding with you, ABS is a must have for me and I do have it on my RK. Actually linked ABS and it's amazing, ANY panic stop at all, squeeze the front brake or slam on the rear brake petal, it doesnt matter. The computer will take control of the braking, properly applying the right pressure to front and rear brakes and stopping you on a dime with only a chirp.
Truly amazing.

Last edited:
I ride a 96 Harley Sportster, not a long haul bike, but it works for me on 100 mile round trip day rides, but my son has a 2009 Harley Electro Glide and he loves it...long rides are not a problem,,,,,that said if I was going to travel great distances over several days, get a Honda Goldwing, you wont be disappointed ..MY brother in law has a new goldwing Honda,,,its a Cadillac on the highway...your butt will thankyou and your attitude will be better....

Why not the Suzuki V-Strom or Kawasaki Versys? either option would have to be more comfortable than the SV. You could also look at the Triumph's, I've test ridden quite a few of them and are really nice bikes.

This riding season is pretty much over but a lot of the manufacturers have demo rides where you can test them out for free. I've been able to catch Triumph a few times, Indian, Suzuki, and even Kawasaki.

IMO Triumph and Indian had the best format in relation to the ease of rules and everything. Suzuki only lets you ride 2 bikes per day, and the Kawasaki one I went too was so far booked up only got to ride once, I think they let you schedule ahead of the rides because there were literally people hopping from one bike onto the next. I didn't like the pace of the Suzuki one, we were literally going 70 mph down back roads that I've never been on... Triumph was totally laid back, no group rides either but you could ride with others, just take a bike out ride over to the next town over and come back. I found that I don't really like group rides, the last one I was on with Indian the idiot in front of me decided to change lane positions in front of me, also I don't really know the etiquette of riding in groups but I do know that rules should be established before the ride and most everyone it was a free for all, pass you or whatever. I even brought it up to someone and basically got a nothing answer.

BMW also has demo rides but you have to schedule a time slot in advance and are a lot more strict from what I've been told.

The riding season is definitely coming to a close, at least up here in WI. Folks down south can probably ride year-round though.

For riding 2up, you might want to consider slightly used Yamaha FJR's. Great touring bike with lots of safety and comfort features. Another option might the newer Yamaha Tracer 9 GT.

Nothing wrong with a Goldwing if you can afford them, or have the space in your garage.

If you're adamant about BMW, a R1250RT would be my pick. Agree with the previous comments about an old BMW being a likely money pit. Lot of plastic and rubber parts that will need replacing, from seals to mounts to who knows what else. Riding 2up makes safety that much more important; I wouldn't risk more than absolutely necessary to save money, and riding is already a risky hobby.

I really like all kinds of bikes, especially the touring and sport touring.
This one thing that has always bothered me about the metrics and I’m not sure why but tire replacements are much more frequent than American brands Harley Davidson for sure, and possibly Indian.

I had two metric bikes, a Suzuki and Yamaha VStar 1300 and you were lucky if you got 8000 miles out of the rear tire and typically for me it was closer to just over 7000 miles.

I never understood why they wear so fast and it’s not cheap having rear tires replaced.
I just did a search on the same subject for the BMW 1250 and I read the same complaints of short tire life which I already knew but I just confirmed it before I posted this.

I get on average 14,000 miles on the rear tire of my Harley Davidson and 20,000 miles on the front tire.
I guess it’s not a big deal for some but I hate bringing my bike any place to have it serviced. I just find it in inconvenient and time-consuming.

Tire wear isn't about "Metric" or American. It's all about what the tires on the respective bikes are designed for. Your Road King is designed for relaxed cruising, with very low demand on cornering at a higher pace. So the tires on it use a harder, more durable compound.

I had an FLHTCUI for awhile. Low power, and low hard cornering potential, meant that it's tires lasted longer, and were fine for the bikes design brief.

A BMW R1250RT (my sister has one) has tires with better performance potential, meaning better grip. But as a result, the tires will wear out faster than the relatively hard tires on a touring Harley.

Tire wear isn't about "Metric" or American. It's all about what the tires on the respective bikes are designed for. Your Road King is designed for relaxed cruising, with very low demand on cornering at a higher pace. So the tires on it use a harder, more durable compound.

I had an FLHTCUI for awhile. Low power, and low hard cornering potential, meant that it's tires lasted longer, and were fine for the bikes design brief.

A BMW R1250RT (my sister has one) has tires with better performance potential, meaning better grip. But as a result, the tires will wear out faster than the relatively hard tires on a touring Harley.
This is what I am saying. Yeah, it does matter Metric or American Cruiser.
Not sure if you read my post. But I have experience with both Metric and American cruisers. Suzuki C50 and Yamaha VSTAR 1300 blew through rear tires at 7 to 8000 miles, never more than 8000 miles. It's all in the respective forums too. Metric bike owners always searching for something that will last longer. They just do not, I was one of them, tried all brands.

I dont agree that an 800+ lb cruiser bike is more easy on tires. Nor do I think my lower horsepower Vstar 1300 or my light low horsepower Suzuki C50 was harder on tires.

I dont agree on the Better Performance potentials either. Your singling out one bike a BMW 1250 that your sister uses and you agree, it runs down tires, well so does the cheap and light Suzuki c50cruiser and the more expensive and more heavy more powerful Yamaha star 1300 cruiser too.

My 14 Raod King has gone more places than any and more anyone on a sport bike goes, carrying more luggage and weight than they can at hours long 80+ GPS MPH, in temperatures most bikes stay at home and weather conditions that most wouldnt dare ride in. :)

Im not arguing but all my points, which you are agree are valid and if you re-read the OP you will see what I am posting should be of interest to someone looking for two up riding and keeping the passenger comfortable and not have to change tires every 6,800 miles to 8,000 miles.

Lets try this another way. It's not because your Harley is American, or that the Vstar and C50 are Japanese, or the R1250RT is German.

It's because the unique tires on your Harley are designed to wear like iron. And they do, at the expense of a higher performance tires cornering grip.

Everything you described, indicates a tire that wears like iron. Which is no surprise because that was the goal.

An example: The Battle of the Baggers racing series. They hop the engines up so they make some power. They jack the bikes up for cornering clearance. And they fit the bikes with wheels that can fit high performance tires. Those tires have great grip, but they don't last long.

Another example: My sportscar, and a car I just inherited from my Dad. My sportscar has tires which when brand new, have 6/32" of tread depth. They have fantastic dry grip, but will be worn out in a few thousand miles, if I'm lucky.

The car I inherited has Michelin Defender T+H tires. They will wear like iron for tens of thousands of miles. But they lack the grip the tires on my sportscar have in the dry.

Bottom line: The tires on your Harley are unique in that they are designed for mileage. Whereas other manufacturers think better grip (at the expense of mileage) is more important.

I owned and rode my K1200LT for over a decade. Nicknamed "the flying brick" after the "laid on its side" inline 4, mine was Uber-reliable with nothing but routine maintenance required. Routine maintenance was ez-pz. That engine had been around for a loooong time and any bugs that had existed had long since been worked out. Not going to outrun a sport bike by any means, but plenty of power for spirited riding and a good level of refinement.

I replaced my seat with an aftermarket seat (as do many, many BMW riders - their stock seats just plain bite). Toured the circumference of the US and did any number of 500-1000 mile (not recommended) days. Like most BMWs, it helps to be 6' plus as the bike is tall. It was the best handling tourer (like being the tallest pygmy?) at the time and lean angles were good - rode those southern roads like the Cherohala, the Blue Ridge and the Dragon, etc. numerous times on it. The bike could feel top-heavy at very slow speeds and parking lot maneuvering could be challenging.

While mine did not suffer from this problem, there was an issue on some with the factory-set preload that could grenade the final (shaft) drive. The fix is well known and not a huge deal. I had mine checked prophylactically and it was a-ok.The air flow management on this bike was superb. I could ride at speed in the rain and largely stay dry and I suffered no buffeting whatsoever. with the electrically operated windscreen and the separate on-the-fly adjustable winglets, you could adjust for more air (hot conditions) or less (cool conditions).

I owned a Road King before the LT and couldn't wait to get rid of it after my first 500 mile ride. I consider it an around-town bike except if it's hot and then you need a nomex lined right pant leg to keep from getting burned on a warm day in traffic. Non-existent lean angles and zero refinement or suspension but you do get "potato-potato" if that's your thing ;-).

I also currently own a last-generation Gold Wing (along with my 5th GS) and consider it to be a fine bike with a superb engine and great reliability, but lacking in the "sporting" department and while airflow management is good, it doesn't measure up to the LT. Wheres the LT felt like it was carved from a solid block of unobtanium, the GW has a cheaper Japanese feel to it (similar to German vs Japanese cars). It is more manageable at low speeds (around town esp) and for riders under about 6'. There is absolutely no reason to opt for the 4 cylinder GL1500 (which was a very nice bike in its time) - the 6 is THE way to go - superb turbine-like operation - one of the best engines ever to find its way into a motorcycle. I found the stock seat to be comfortable and the pillion seating/position is the best in the business comfort-wise. Reliability is anvil-like.

YMMV ;-)
What year bikes are we talking about? I think you have three different manufacturers mentioned but no years mentioned.
The OP needs to keep that in mind. Any product you compare one has to know when someone is giving an opinion if it’s a current model or are we talking 10, 20, 25 or 30 years ago model.
Motor vechicles advance just like cell phones🤔

Last edited:
Back