Question about top tier gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can bet that if ALL grades of BP/Amoco met Top Tier standards, it would be advertised as so and they would pay whatever it costs for that certification. Maybe the premium meets it but you can be sure the others dont.

BP's ARCO brand is the lowest quality gas available in the West. It is the cheapest, but using higher priced gas I get lower cost per mile.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by JAG:
Thanks Blue99. That's what I needed to know! I've been using Shell and will continue to do so happily now.

As a rookie here could you say plainly what this told you? I seem to be lost on this issue. TIA

At the TopTierGas.com site, an ethanol requirement is listed for the test fuel. It seems to imply that all Top Tier rated gasolines must contain ethanol.

However, the ethanol requirement is part of the test only because the detergency additives must demonstrate deposit control in the presence of 10% ethanol, a fuel blend used in many metropolitan areas & the states of Calfornia and Minnesota.

quote:

Originally posted by JAG:
It's odd that Mobil also isn't on the list and I wonder why.

I just found this bit of info today:

"I contacted Mobil to ask for their feedback and they said that their gasolines all exceeded the Top Tier standards. Mobil also objects to the qualification process required to advertise their gasolines as meeting the Top Tier Standard. "

Found it here:

TheCarConnection

Scroll down to the Q&A title " Stick with well-known gas ".
smile.gif

thecarconnection.com wrote:
quote:

Stick with well-known gas

Q--I have conflicting information on the need for Top Tier gasoline. According to the official site, the gasolines that meet Top Tier Standards contain significantly more additives (detergents) than required by the EPA. The approved gasoline brands include Chevron, Shell, and 76. Further, and the Top Tier Standard is backed by GM, Honda, Toyota, and BMW.

Interestingly Ford is not backing this standard. I contacted Mobil to ask for their feedback and they said that their gasolines all exceeded the Top Tier standards. Mobil also objects to the qualification process required to advertise their gasolines as meeting the Top Tier Standard.

So, my question is: Is Top Tier gasoline a valid enhancement or is it simply a marketing ploy?

A--Both. Mobil is not the only company that has balked at climbing on the Top Tier bandwagon and Ford is not the only car company. Our advice? Buy a well-known brand of gas and you can't go wrong.

lol.gif

Indeed.

Well known brands such as Shell or Chevron!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back