Top Tier Gasoline Mexico Vs. United States

So does the quality of Top Tier Gasoline sold in let's say Chevron Station that is located in Mexico compare to that of the Chevron Top Tier gas sold in the United States? I would assume it is but top tier is not all about the additive package (in this case the added Techron). What about the content of sulfur, ethanol, and the olefins, and etc? I am driving in Mexico often and wanted to know more about the specifics of the gas sold there.

All gas stations get their fuel from the same bulk storage and distribution terminal be it shell, Walmart, or chevron, only thing that differs is the additives which shell ads a lot into on their expensive nitro 93. But there are standardized quality regulations. Mexican gas is also regulated by similar quality standards. Never had any issue with Mexican fuel into my tank. Might not be identical but it doesn't really matter.

All gas stations get their fuel from the same bulk storage and distribution terminal be it shell, Walmart, or chevron, only thing that differs is the additives which shell ads a lot into on their expensive nitro 93. But there are standardized quality regulations. Mexican gas is also regulated by similar quality standards. Never had any issue with Mexican fuel into my tank. Might not be identical but it doesn't really matter.
Thanks Javier! Here in California, Shell doesn't even offer 93. Many years ago, when Pemex used to have monopoly in Mexico, I did not have good experience with their "Verde" or 87. It always caused knocks in my old Sonata so I always opted for their "Rojo" or higher octane version. Things have changed ever since and luckily there are options including top tier in Mexico now! I just don't know much about the new details now!

Thanks Javier! Here in California, Shell doesn't even offer 93. Many years ago, when Pemex used to have monopoly in Mexico, I did not have good experience with their "Verde" or 87. It always caused knocks in my old Sonata so I always opted for their "Rojo" or higher octane version. Things have changed ever since and luckily there are options including top tier in Mexico now! I just don't know much about the new details now!
Wouldn't surprise me if they gave you cheaper gas that was likely 85 or even 83 as most people down there drive some older lower compression vehicle which isn't really sensitive to knocking. But I've never experienced knocking in any of my modern fuel injected auto timing trucks using pemex gas, you likely had bad luck. And sad thing is that Mexico doesn't really have any similar anti collusion laws. Because of that there might as well still be a monopoly as there is really no competition even if it seems like it. I see almost no price difference when looking for gas. The Pemex cartel gets all the business. I was disgusted and angry when i saw Pemex stations popping up in Texas years ago.

It's actually smart as he77 marketing in the Central Valley where a good portion of the population is Hispanic with many from Mexico directly.

Not necessarily. In some areas there are multiple fuel terminals. I live near Richmond, California where there are at least 4 different fuel depots, including Chevron's. More than likely the Chevron stations nearby get their fuel from that depot with fuel produced at that refinery. Shell no longer has a California refinery, but they still have a large fuel distribution depot where apparently they do a lot of blending, storage, and distribution to Kinder Morgan. I believe it used to be a refinery, but for whatever reason it no longer serves that purpose.

But yeah - fuel is more or less a commodity and there's a lot of horse trading going on where fuel is virtually traded rather than shipping it directly. There's never a guarantee that the name on the pump is related to the name of the refinery. Heck - Valero as a refining company isn't even related to Valero as a fuel marketer any more.

Back