quaker state high mileage not api certified

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kr_bitog
Originally Posted By: HBCALI
Not many HM oils are API Certified or carry the "Star Burst". Valvoline's MaxLife is another example. It's all about the additives. HM oils have more ___________ than non-HM selections. In turn, they usually don't earn API recognition.

FYI...Royal Purple is a great Syn oil but lacks API Certification. Your car will generally not "blow-up" just becuase an oil isn't API "certified".

True, but in GF-5 non API certified oil is exempted from some tests (deposit test) so for HM oil, it may be better to use non API since the additive will burn and help to seal the oil leakage. WRONG ?
whistle.gif

Burn to seal the leak? Say what?

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I sent an email this morning to one of my last friends in the technical depart of Shell asking him why no API donut on the Quaker State HM oils and here was his quick reply to me.

They didn't think it was worth paying the API license fee since high mileage vehicles are usually out of warranty.
Makes sense. There's only a couple manufacturers (To my knowledge anyways...) with anything greater than 75k mile warranty, and that would be Kia, and Hyundai....at least, those are the 2 that seem to be dead set on advertising that fact...

This brings up a good point though, for those that take their cars in to be serviced, to say, "QuickLubes" - wonder how the warranty claims work if the quick lube joint doesn't put in the right oil; based on a "customer request".

I've been thinking about this more particularly the whole "Dexos" standard that is out too, which AFAIK, is required by Ford? Is it up to the quick lube to know to put a Dexos oil in the vehicle, or is it up to the customer to "request" the applicable "Dexos" oil....?

Quote:
Quite right. I'm surprised they don't label the QS high mileage as at least "meeting" or "suitable" for SL or whatever specification is closest. I can understand them not paying for SN and how GF-5 might not be attainable, but a bit of a reference point may not hurt, if it least to make it clear it's not SA or something stupidly obsolete. I'd still use it without question, but sometimes we like to know these things.

Good point made there.....without a label, whose to say WHAT it meets?
smile.gif

BTW, @Bill's pic, I just got back from my local WM, and NONE of the 5 qt jugs of QS HM have that label on the back of the jug...wonder if the Department manager put it upon themselves to label the merchandise themselves with one of those Dymo Label Makers?
smile.gif
It does kind of resemble that of one of those "home made" labels.....at the top of the bottle....mmmm...

Why incur costs to certify oils intended for vehicles outside of their warranty? Unless the oil blender is a complete hack with the intention of selling substandard formulations, the API cert virtually means nothing IMO. Your engine can't read, and neither can it detect a low "fuel economical" HTHS. Consequently, the engine can't use this information to decide that it should blow. The only thing I use API donut for, is as an suggestion of the contained ZDDP and HTHS. Simply relying on certifications, ignoring all other data available is a cop-out. It's like choosing to recieve (free of charge) a 40,000 dollar shack that's been inspected and appraised, over a several-million dollar mansion on 12 acres of property that has not. Put short, one must consider all data if you want to make the wisest choice.

Originally Posted By: Rachael
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: ChuckBerry
Tell me you didn't drive to Wal-Mart solely to check.
Nope happened to be there shopping. Any BITOGer worth their membership always stops by the oil isle just in case something is marked down. Once after $10 rebate I got 2 5qt jugs of Mobil 1 for $5 each.

Bill

so true lol. can't go into walmart without checking the oil aisle for deals.

+1

Are you serious about FORD requiring dexos as well as GM ??

My understanding with GM was that if you engine lubrication related failures and were not using DEXOS certified oil then you warranty MAY be voided.

While we don't perform oil changes, I make a point of recommending/selling DEXOS approved oil for all the newest GM vehicles. Just sold some Saturday to a young guy doing his first oil change on his shiny new 2011 Camaro.

The issue of culpability always gets down to 'you didn't ask, no you should have told me' when the proverbial hits the fan.

Originally Posted By: partspro
Are you serious about FORD requiring dexos as well as GM ??

Will happen when pigs fly, dexos is a registered trademark of GM... Ford may well require oil with similar specs in the future, but the chance it will be labeled dexos is zero & none...

I think the whole idea of not having the certs on the bottle, is the fact that by 75k (the recommended interval by most oil manufacturers to "start" using a high mileage oil) the vehicle is likely no longer under "warranty"....so the certifications do not really "matter".....but rest assured, you're not putting some "SA" grade motor oil in your crankcase! lol.

Check the UOA section, I'm sure there's some examples to show the "un certified" oils are still good for modern engine use
wink.gif

But without the certs, they save the manufacturer money likely...and allow for adding more additives that the certs "restrict".....

I.E.: similar reason why "Royal Purple" was only "SL" for the longest time
wink.gif
But now "SN" Royal Purple is now coming in to my Walmart......to meet the new "Dexos" specs....

My '05 Silverado 66k was using a quart ~1800 miles, after switching to QSHM, it has slowed to a quart ~3500 miles. No change in gas mileage, just adding less oil
happy2.gif
I had tried most of the other HM oils with little or no change in oil consumption.... thank you Johnny for the recommendation
smile.gif

My '95 Mazda Protege runs very smooth and quiet with QSHM compared to all the other oils I've used. And I've used all the name brand dino, high mileage, and synthetic oils in it.

I figured it had to be a typo said Ford meant GM. For a moment, I thought I had missed some Ford announcement LOL.

On a lighter note, I did have the proverbial 'little old lady' come to the store with her original owners manual, her car was about 25 years old, as clean as the day she bought it and mildly scold me for no longer carrying API SF oil. Absolutely true. Those little old ladies can stir up trouble LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back