quaker state high mileage not api certified

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

I'm still puzzled why no API rating. Cost saving measure? Failing fuel efficiency test?

About 9 posts up;

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: Johnny
I sent an email this morning to one of my last friends in the technical depart of Shell asking him why no API donut on the Quaker State HM oils and here was his quick reply to me.

They didn't think it was worth paying the API license fee since high mileage vehicles are usually out of warranty.

Excellent answer!

On 2/10/10 I posted this. I would imagine this still holds true.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I sent an email this morning to one of my last friends in the technical depart of Shell asking him why no API donut on the Quaker State HM oils and here was his quick reply to me.

They didn't think it was worth paying the API license fee since high mileage vehicles are usually out of warranty.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
If I'm not mistaken, most High Mileage oils are NOT API approved.

Valvoline Maxlife is.
21.gif
(Just got back from Wal-Mart and looked)

Originally Posted By: ChuckBerry
Tell me you didn't drive to Wal-Mart solely to check.
Nope happened to be there shopping. Any BITOGer worth their membership always stops by the oil isle just in case something is marked down. Once after $10 rebate I got 2 5qt jugs of Mobil 1 for $5 each.

Bill

Originally Posted By: Silver_civic
Hello everyone and I have maybe a real dumb question; you decide. When did the oil companies and people that govern them (the API I am thinking?) set up the rules, etc that say that 5w30 oil or 10w30 oil is safe and recommended for cars and trucks? Also how often do the API ratings and so forth change and what are some of the ground rules so to speak that all oils must meet, exceed or be capable of?

sorry if this is a dumb, new guy question; I am a little curios is all.

let me know your thoughts and opinions and facts as I know there are some really smart and educational folks on this board.
thank you all
adam

--quote--
The International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC) is responsible for the creation of passenger car engine oil specifications. The specification requirements are developed and introduced by ILSAC/OIL which is a separate entity from ILSAC. The ILSAC/OIL committee has two branches. ILSAC is representatives from the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers (AAM) and the Japanese Automobile Manufacturers Association (JAMA) and OIL is representatives from oil industry organizations, the American Petroleum Institute (API), and the American Chemistry Council (ACC).
--end quote--
http://www.gf-5.com/process_and_industry/industrycommittees/committeeactivities/

The U.S. & Japanese auto industry drives the specs for new oil formulations for the U.S. The oil people (API) and additive makers (ACC) are there to help agree on what is feasible and affordable in both the testing and the production of the oil. For example, even longer catalytic converter life was needed (EPA requirement???). Phosphorus, part of the cheap & effective antiwear agent ZDDP, poisons catcons. The auto makers did not want the phosphorus amount reduced from what it is now, so they agreed to make the oil less volatile to keep the phosphorus in the engine and out of the exhaust.

The API follows ILSAC with oil Service Categories...all ILSAC GF-4 engine oils are API SM, but not all SM oils meet the GF-4 spec, for example.

This link provides the tests the oil has to pass. Some of the tests involve running the oil in test engines for many hours, then doing lab tests on the used oil and/or on engine parts. Some of these tests are very expensive as well as time consuming, so all are a matter of negotiation. Not every oil is tested. Approved packages of addtives and approved base oil and substitution charts are used by the oil blenders.

Here is a spider diagram showing what is changed and not changed in GF-5 oil vs. GF-4
http://sas-origin.onstreammedia.com/orig...derDiagram.html

Valvoline Maxlife is.
21.gif
(Just got back from Wal-Mart and looked)

Quite right. I'm surprised they don't label the QS high mileage as at least "meeting" or "suitable" for SL or whatever specification is closest. I can understand them not paying for SN and how GF-5 might not be attainable, but a bit of a reference point may not hurt, if it least to make it clear it's not SA or something stupidly obsolete. I'd still use it without question, but sometimes we like to know these things.

Originally Posted By: ChuckBerry
Tell me you didn't drive to Wal-Mart solely to check.
Nope happened to be there shopping. Any BITOGer worth their membership always stops by the oil isle just in case something is marked down. Once after $10 rebate I got 2 5qt jugs of Mobil 1 for $5 each.

Bill

so true lol. can't go into walmart without checking the oil aisle for deals.

Not many HM oils are API Certified or carry the "Star Burst". Valvoline's MaxLife is another example. It's all about the additives. HM oils have more ___________ than non-HM selections. In turn, they usually don't earn API recognition.

FYI...Royal Purple is a great Syn oil but lacks API Certification. Your car will generally not "blow-up" just becuase an oil isn't API "certified".

Originally Posted By: HBCALI
Not many HM oils are API Certified or carry the "Star Burst". Valvoline's MaxLife is another example. It's all about the additives. HM oils have more ___________ than non-HM selections. In turn, they usually don't earn API recognition.

FYI...Royal Purple is a great Syn oil but lacks API Certification. Your car will generally not "blow-up" just becuase an oil isn't API "certified".

Most RP oils are SL, some are SM.

Maxlife (even the 5W-20) does not carry the 'energy conserving' label as well

In reality 99.99999999% of motorists don't have a clue what API, SM, SN, GF-4, GF-5, AAM, JAMA, ACC, ILSAC mean, nor do they care. I don't think Quaker State is losing out on any sales by not having the API Certification on the bottle regardless if it is certified or not.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Correct. Most high mileage users don't need it anyway.
Unless a engine actually has high miles and is using oil, what's the point?

That is the point. Because they are higher mileage and some higher mileage engines use oil. HM oils, aside from being thicker than a non-HM oil of the same SAE grade, like QS HM, contain esters to swell and condition seals - either helping to prevent leaks from developing (and their higher HTHS also helps with consumption, another possible issue on a higher mileage engine), or to slow/stop existing leaks. Its not mandatory that you switch to it at some arbitrary mileage, but there are potential benefits - depending on the car. Your mileage may vary
wink.gif

-Spyder

Last edited:
Exactly. What I was trying to get at is/are those that switch to high mileage oil JUST because they cross that magic 75,000 mile mark (if not the even more magical 100,000 mile mark)and aren't using much if any oil.

Originally Posted By: Scum_Frog
In reality 99.99999999% of motorists don't have a clue what API, SM, SN, GF-4, GF-5, AAM, JAMA, ACC, ILSAC mean, nor do they care. I don't think Quaker State is losing out on any sales by not having the API Certification on the bottle regardless if it is certified or not.

True, but in this case, ignorance isn't bliss. Motorist should familiarize themselves with some of these designations. An OEM warranty claim in the future could depend on it. Keep in mind, OEM's are begining to warrant powertrains (i.e. engines) through 100,000 miles. HM oils are "suggested" at 75,000. So why anyone would choose to use a non-Certified lubricant while under warranty baffles me. With all the other "just as good" choices out there? Of course, most vehicles over 75K are not under warranty anyway - that's the angle with these companies.

True, but in GF-5 non API certified oil is exempted from some tests (deposit test) so for HM oil, it may be better to use non API since the additive will burn and help to seal the oil leakage. WRONG ?
whistle.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back