Purolator tears still an issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jk_636

Are these the filters you were using on the motors that cost "more than we make in a lifetime?"
smirk.gif

I think you're confusing statements made by Oil Changer. Wonder if he'll be back from Disneyland soon.
grin.gif

Pot calling the kettle black. The torn filter photos are apparently the only definitive proof and my flawless filters are irrelevant. Now I get it. Blind leading the blind eh?
wink.gif
lol good thing this is all about oil filters and not religion, politics etc.

Hey you like them keep on using them. Don't tell us not to warn new members of the potential risks, and documented problems with them. You're sharing your positive experiences, we're telling and showing people the problems.
wink.gif
No one here said they were all bad, but there are enough people who had torn filters to warrant waving the caution flag. Let people who have a brain make up their own minds with information they find here.

Originally Posted By: Falken
I'm a Puro-Hater like Garak... So my advice doesn't count.

I don't want to be.
wink.gif
The Bosch 3300 was pretty much my favourite filter for the G37.

No one thinks that media tearing is an engineering feature.

Well, it's either an engineering error because the engineers don't know how to specify evenly spaced pleats and/or it's an accounting error because someone called for ridiculously cheap, fragile media. In any event, it's not much of an issue up here. Purolator could never market in Canada to save their souls, anyhow. Very few of my suppliers can actually get them in, and I tend to have to order them online from other suppliers. Then, when Walmart Canada tried their ill fated experiment with selling them, my online suppliers ran out for months on end.

There are more filters out there besides Fram Ultras you know...
But none better for the cost and quality of construction...

We have good evidence that Purolator white cans and P1s experience media failures at a much higher rate than we've seen from other maker's products.
While their failure rate is nothing close to 100%, it appears to be much greater than a random 1% or so.
That alone would be reason enough to avoid Purolator-made oil filters until Purolator is willing to acknowledge that there has been a problem and they have fixed it.
The unfortunate part of this is that no other inexpensive filter can match the efficiency of the P1, which made the P1 a real bargain, especially on sale and with an AAP coupon code.
I still have a few left and I'll run them.
I'm just not buying any more at any price.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
We have good evidence that Purolator white cans and P1s experience media failures at a much higher rate than we've seen from other maker's products.

Agreed. If we only saw Purolators cut open and no one ever (or rarely) cut anything else open, we'd obviously have a problem with our sampling. There is no shortage, however, of other types of filters being cut open, and we simply don't see those issues.

And I agree with your point about the P1s. I similarly, as I already stated, liked using the Bosch 3300 in my G37. It has a lot of the construction features I liked, great efficiency, plus I could get it for around $5 online, which is cheaper than almost anything else I can find for my G37 in Canada.

Therein lies a cautionary tale.
Purolator oil filters were once the darling of this site, espcially the P1.
You could buy P1s here for $3.00 or so with one of AAP's online sales combined with a 40% off coupon code.
An unusually efficient filter at a very nice price.
What's not to like?
A couple of years later, we start seeing lots of photos of Purolators with torn media, and many of us felt betrayed.
We thought we were buying quality filters at a very reasonable price.
Turns out that the while the price may have been reasonable, the design and materials quality may not have been.

Therein lies a cautionary tale.
Purolator oil filters were once the darling of this site, espcially the P1.
You could buy P1s here for $3.00 or so with one of AAP's online sales combined with a 40% off coupon code.
An unusually efficient filter at a very nice price.
What's not to like?
A couple of years later, we start seeing lots of photos of Purolators with torn media, and many of us felt betrayed.
We thought we were buying quality filters at a very reasonable price.
Turns out that the while the price may have been reasonable, the design and materials quality may not have been.

Exactly. For me it's time to move onto the next latest and greatest, until that company screws up. Then I repeat the drill.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Exactly. For me it's time to move onto the next latest and greatest, until that company screws up. Then I repeat the drill.

I also used and liked puro p1's. But until i think they have fixed the problem, i'm using mobil one filters and fram ultras.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I also used and liked puro p1's. But until i think they have fixed the problem, i'm using mobil one filters and fram ultras.

That is exactly what I'm doing. If I see an oil change special that includes a Purolator filter I pass, unless I can substitute another filter for similar savings.

While their failure rate is nothing close to 100%, it appears to be much greater than a random 1% or so.

your made up statistics is hogwash and utter nonsense.

Last edited:
I think the majority of members here have a clear view of the issue. Others just call it "hog wash".
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

your made up statistics is hogwash and utter nonsense.

I take it that you don't entirely agree with my post?

cptbarkey thinks all the torn Purolators are a result of nobody knowing how to cut open an oil filter. Straw grasping at best.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
cptbarkey thinks all the torn Purolators are a result of nobody knowing how to cut open an oil filter. Straw grasping at best.
whistle.gif

kinda funny that Purolators seem to be the only oil filters that suffer media damage in having their cans cut open...
After all, though "statistics is hogwash and utter nonsense".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back