Purolator tears still an issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Bottom line - the failure rate seems too high for most people to continue using Purolator products until evidence shows that the issue has been fixed. I doubt you are going to talk anyone into using them now since tearing media reports are still coming in. That's the way it is, sadly for Purolator and the people who liked using them in the past. Only Purolator can make moves to rectify this and gain back some lost customers, nobody else.

Wrong again...I dont have an agenda. I dont care if people use them or not. What I do intend to do, and have done so successfully in the past may I add, is prove that this "problem" is not as widespread as people want to believe and that they are still safe for use in moderate OCIs.

But this sub forum doesn't care so much for logic and reasoning. If someone posts one filter that tore, REGARDLESS OF THE INTERVAL OR CONDITIONS OF USE and the sky is falling. I post a picture of one that didn't tear and...crickets.

LoL ... you haven't proven anything except that you have blinders on and can't grasp the fact that Purolator has a problem.

Go look at the spread sheet again ... the majority of those failures were with normal OCIs, or even with less mileage than a normal OCI.

Go post up the poll to see how many members here have jumped ship, and how many still use Purolator oil filters knowing they could tear in service.

Originally Posted By: jk_636

If you dont like the filters, thats fine. You dont have to use them. But it isn't right to make it seem that there are only a "few" left who still use them and make it seem as if they are retarded for doing so. There are M A N Y here who still use Purolator filters.

You should try to prove it by taking a poll of who still uses them knowing they tear vs those that use to use them before the tearing problem. People who use them and don't know about the issue don't count.

I tried to start a poll on this forum. Apparently the powers that be dont allow it, even though I could find no mention of it in the rules and regulations of this site.

But then again, without any disagreements, BITOG would be a very boring place. Everyone would be agreeing with each other, making sure everyone used the same filter and constantly talking about that same filter over and over again. Wait a second...has anyone used the Fram Ultra...?

It's really not hard to understand why people like and use the Ultra. What if that same exact oil filter said "Purolator" or "WIX" or "Mobil 1" or "Amsoil" on the side, or if it just said "Oil Filter" on the side. Read my signature.
grin.gif

But seriously...how about that Fram Ultra...

If you dont like the filters, thats fine. You dont have to use them. But it isn't right to make it seem that there are only a "few" left who still use them and make it seem as if they are retarded for doing so. There are M A N Y here who still use Purolator filters.

You should try to prove it by taking a poll of who still uses them knowing they tear vs those that use to use them before the tearing problem. People who use them and don't know about the issue don't count.

I tried to start a poll on this forum. Apparently the powers that be dont allow it, even though I could find no mention of it in the rules and regulations of this site.

I don't believe that for one second. Go ask who still used Purolators knowing they could tear. No rules against that. Maybe you were too belligerent the first time.
eek.gif
grin.gif

But then again, without any disagreements, BITOG would be a very boring place. Everyone would be agreeing with each other, making sure everyone used the same filter and constantly talking about that same filter over and over again. Wait a second...has anyone used the Fram Ultra...?

It's really not hard to understand why people like and use the Ultra. What if that same exact oil filter said "Purolator" or "WIX" or "Mobil 1" or "Amsoil" on the side, or if it just said "Oil Filter" on the side. Read my signature.
grin.gif

But seriously...how about that Fram Ultra...

They are awesome! Best bang for the buck, hands down.
thumbsup2.gif

The part I don't believe is:
"I tried to start a poll on this forum. Apparently the powers that be dont allow it, even though I could find no mention of it in the rules and regulations of this site."

As you said, there is nothing against it in the rules, so if it got "yanked" as you claim, it was probably for some other reason. Comprehendo?

So go start that poll and find out for yourself how many "still use Purolator" filters on this site.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: tratman2000
I'd love to see a poll also is there any way to do one whereas you could just click on a response and it tally it up. I've seen it on other forums.

That is what I tried to create. As a matter of fact I created one on a website generator and tried to input the generated code and BITOG wouldn't accept it. That is what brought me to question it on the general information board.
The part I don't believe is:
"I tried to start a poll on this forum. Apparently the powers that be dont allow it, even though I could find no mention of it in the rules and regulations of this site."

As you said, there is nothing against it in the rules, so if it got "yanked" as you claim, it was probably for some other reason. Comprehendo?

So go start that poll and find out for yourself how many "still use Purolator" filters on this site.
whistle.gif

Only you z06 can, in the face of absolute evidence, continue to accuse me of fabricating the truth. And I'm the one with the agenda eh?

Only you z06 can, in the face of absolute evidence, continue to accuse me of fabricating the truth. And I'm the one with the agenda eh?

Don't get all defensive and try to make this out to something it's not. There's a big difference between someone getting information/facts straight and lying. I never said you were lying, but looks more like you just don't have the facts straight. If you go back and re-read, I said I have a hard time believing the site wouldn't let someone start a thread asking members a question and polling the results ... sounds pretty asinine to me. You make it sound like you started a thread to poll this very question, but the owner or a mod deleted the tread. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to say here. What did you really mean by this statement?

Sure, the board does not a way to setup a "poll", but you can ask the question and tally up the results yourself from the members response.

I'll give you your first poll data point. I use to use Purolators exclusively, then stopped when the tearing issue started. And will not be using them again until I have full confidence their tearing issue is resolved.

Don't get all defensive and try to make this out to something it's not. There's a big difference between someone getting information/facts straight and lying. I never said you were lying, but looks more like you just don't have the facts straight. If you go back and re-read, I said I have a hard time believing the site wouldn't let someone start a thread asking members a question and polling the results ... sounds pretty asinine to me. You make it sound like you started a thread to poll this very question, but the owner or a mod deleted the tread. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to say here. What did you really mean by this statement?

Sure, the board does not a way to setup a "poll", but you can ask the question and tally up the results yourself from the members response.

I'll give you your first poll data point. I use to use Purolators exclusively, then stopped when the tearing issue started. And will not be using them again until I have full confidence their tearing issue is resolved.

Yup make that 2 of us used puros for 17 years exclusively except acdelco on my chevy for a few years till the ecore came out then back to p1 but all my others stated p1 till the tears showed up only have 1 clasic in my rotation left and it's about to come off soon

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I won't buy one again.
Agree; it is not even worth it when there there are filters that have the security of wire backing on the media and are guaranteed for x miles. Speaking for myself, though the FRAM Ultras are a few dollars more, since I use them for at least 15K, the cost is probably less overall--not to mention the peace of mind and the time that I save by not changing every 5 or 7K.

So I've been reading through all of the posts in the multiple threads on this topic and as someone new to this discussion here are my 2 cents on it, for what that's worth...

A lesson in quantitative statistical analysis would be well applied to this topic. To put it simply, nothing here validates a claim that Purolators tear more than any other filter. The sample size is absurdly low and ridiculously skewed. No one is cutting open and checking Mobil 1, Wix, K&N, etc., filters with either the same frequency or fervor as Purolator filters, and as such no statistically significant claim can be made that the latter tear more often. Only a gut feeling. Nor are any variables controlled in any way (unless OCIs, oil type, driving conditions, etc. are agreed to have no direct effect on filter condition). For all we know, issues such as those being observed could be an acceptable and predicted rate of occurrence for every 1 in 100, 1,000 or 10,000 filters of any brand. Does it appear to be a disturbing trend? Absolutely. Is it correct to say that a trend exists? Absolutely not. Further, 99.9% of Purolator buyers/users would likely never know even if an issue did exist, so it makes no sense to me for the company to publicly acknowledge the claims of a few people from a web forum (no offense intended... I was only clued in by an Amazon review mentioning that the topic existed on BITOG... as I was going to buy another PureOne for my next oil change).

What I do believe, however, is that this is a potential headache that I don't have the patience for and that ignorance is bliss. And who has time for all of that math? So I will be spending the extra $4 for Mobil 1 filters for my next oil changes until people start dissecting them and find issues that I am currently unaware of. Then I guess I'll just try to screw a sponge or a coffee filter or something onto my car instead.

Originally Posted By: skaughtz
So I've been reading through all of the posts in the multiple threads on this topic and as someone new to this discussion here are my 2 cents on it, for what that's worth...

A lesson in quantitative statistical analysis would be well applied to this topic. To put it simply, nothing here validates a claim that Purolators tear more than any other filter. The sample size is absurdly low and ridiculously skewed. No one is cutting open and checking Mobil 1, Wix, K&N, etc., filters with either the same frequency or fervor as Purolator filters, and as such no statistically significant claim can be made that the latter tear more often. Only a gut feeling. Nor are any variables controlled in any way (unless OCIs, oil type, driving conditions, etc. are agreed to have no direct effect on filter condition). For all we know, issues such as those being observed could be an acceptable and predicted rate of occurrence for every 1 in 100, 1,000 or 10,000 filters of any brand. Does it appear to be a disturbing trend? Absolutely. Is it correct to say that a trend exists? Absolutely not. Further, 99.9% of Purolator buyers/users would likely never know even if an issue did exist, so it makes no sense to me for the company to publicly acknowledge the claims of a few people from a web forum (no offense intended... I was only clued in by an Amazon review mentioning that the topic existed on BITOG... as I was going to buy another PureOne for my next oil change).

What I do believe, however, is that this is a potential headache that I don't have the patience for and that ignorance is bliss. And who has time for all of that math? So I will be spending the extra $4 for Mobil 1 filters for my next oil changes until people start dissecting them and find issues that I am currently unaware of. Then I guess I'll just try to screw a sponge or a coffee filter or something onto my car instead.

x2. Good review skaughtz.

well said, now here is the part where you are ignored, chastised, accused of heresy, an employee of said manufacturer, and ridiculed. there are some nuggets of gold in this particular subforum, but most of it lately has been blatant hogwash. thanks for contributing by the way.

Skaughtz, as it's been quoted a couple times already, no need to quote your post again. Just saying thanks and appreciate your .02 evaluation and common sense post. In addition to your evaluation, your solution is also common sense, and has been suggested many times by some of us. No need to go off the deep end, just use another brand if Puro no longer suits you.

That said, based on reading many follow up posts along the same or similar line as yours, as alluded to above, you may want to be prepared to be pilloried.

Thanks again.

Haha. I don't have a horse in this race. I use PureOne filters because I was told that they were quite a good filter for a good price. My oil filter brand loyalty is probably equivalent to my toothpaste brand loyalty. Mobil 1 filters are supposedly quite good as well. I will be happy to use them. Colgate and Crest are top notch cavity fighters. I'm happy with either.

I was just making an objective observation. People are free to disagree. I lurk these forums because I like to learn from people far more knowledgeable than myself when it comes to automobiles. But I am a biologist so objectivity and methodology are in my nature
smile.gif

Ok, lets talk experimental research statistics (really empirical research design). If you wanted to ask "does Purolator tear more than BrandX or x, y, and/or z, then yes, you would want to do a controlled experiment with the same conditions. That is because the brand itself would be the independent variable we want to deem significant. However, because this is not a "comparison between brands" but rather an issue of Purolator quality control/application. Is the Hudson more polluted that other rivers is a different question and design that asking if the Hudson River is polluted. You just test the item in question. Furthermore, the same "controlled" method might not return as rich of a dataset. "Fieldwork" is useful. You can't always do some work in controlled labs and return the same data as compared to the field. Think about running 70-100 sample test of all Purolator stock (including jobbers) on all vehicle makes from the last 25 years, on all motor oil weights and brands. Not really feasible. Worse if you do a dozen or so driving types, climates, commutes, etc. Thus when ask "are tears still and issue, small data-sets are still useful. You kinda answered the issue yourself.

Quote:
Further, 99.9% of Purolator buyers/users would likely never know even if an issue did exist

So if a few dozen that actually open the filter notice an issue (with some having back-to-back filter failures), there is a problem. From a stat standpoint, I might have an equal chance of winning the lottery than getting back-to-back filter failures. If it was 1 in 10,000, then bac k to back filters with different production dates should be 1 in 100,000,000. Getting multiple failure by such a small subset (BITOG), that 1 in 10,000 failure rate means that of the BITOG population, would have to had purchased and opened 610,000 Purolator filter to reach that mark in 6 or so months. If it was even 1 in 100, you should see 549 "everything is ok" filter threads for the 61 reported failure in the last year.

Now, lets take another example. Food poisoning from a restaurant as an example of a small sample. The question becomes, how do you know if there is an issue? Many people do not report food-poisoning to a local or state health health organization? Probably a similar number of folks who cut open filters depending the type of illness. If it is the mild-runs, maybe less. However, if you start seeing a cluster of reported issues from the same restaurant all with the same symptoms that is a big red-flag. So, out of the thousands and thousands of folks that might eat at a restaurant, you get a few dozen "hits"... that is significant. Especially if there was a lack of reported cases at the location for several years. So if you were on a website that tracked reported food-poisoning cases and it went from 1-2 cases in a year to 60 cases in 6 months, would you say there is a lack of evidence?

People cut open a lot of different filers and I would say those with Purolator are more likely to report it. Just like with food poisoning, once there are reports and a general awareness, other people who might not be likely to report will begin to report as well, swelling the data. If you started seeing WIX tears or Fram tears in a few cases, then you would likely see a increase in oil filter analysis. If Purolator did not have an issue, we might have only seen a blip of a couple of failed filters followed by a furry of "everything is ok" thread. Rather we say the opposite. A few initial reported filter failures followed by a lot of (former) Purolator users with the same failure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back