Purolator is listening

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HangFire
So during all the wailing here about torn filters, I contacted Purolator... politely... and they got back to me... back and forth... I challenged them to restore my trust. They are trying to do just that.

So the deal is, they sent me filters and return kits for all 3 of my vehicles, I'll use them for one OCI and send them back for a lab analysis. I get free filters and free data and they get a chance to earn my trust back.

There is some minor risk on my part that I'll run a torn filter again. My Honda had a small tear on its Classic and now I'll be running the equivalent PureOne, which has a lower but documented propensity to tear. It's had a Wix for ~ 3K now, I'm going to end that OCI early to get on with the test. I think I'll end the P1 OCI at 5K instead of 7.5 like I usually do. It's getting older and I was thinking about dialing back the OCI from the factory 7.5K to 5K anyway.

So I'm thinking I may do some UOA's or at least one on the Honda. Maybe I need a VOA or a UOA on the last oil drain. Thoughts?

I'm also thinking about non-invasive ways to check for tears, since I cannot cut the can on a filter I'm returning. The only thing I can think of is to stick a very bright light in the center tube and checking the inlet holes for light.

I'll take notes and pics and report back when it's all wrapped up... in about a year.
smile.gif
Sorry! It takes time for tests like this. For now I'll try to answer questions in this thread, except for "how do I get free filters" or Purolator contact info. Everything you need to contact Purolator is already known here.

Did they say whether or not they made any changes in the filter media or construction? An acknowledgment and explanation is probably all I would need to go back.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: ledslinger
My analogy: Your significant other is cheating on you. Says she'll stop and will take lie detector tests periodically. She arranges the tests and tells you the results.

Isn't that what the oil companies do when they do comparison testing? Pay for the test, get the results they're after?
27.gif

That'd be more like she's banging the lie detector tester too.

I'm not sure Purolator is "listening"...it sounds more like they are "shining you on". All they did is what most big corporations do: send the customer a couple freebies and go back to ignoring the larger issue.

Having said that, I'm trying not to take sides here as I have a vested interest in the outcome...I like my Motorcraft FL820S and will hate to stop using them out of some irrational fear that my engine is being somehow short-changed by substandard filters, but on the other hand, I think this issue is becoming a tempest in a teapot.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
My analogy: Your significant other is cheating on you. Says she'll stop and will take lie detector tests periodically. She arranges the tests and tells you the results.

Isn't that what the oil companies do when they do comparison testing? Pay for the test, get the results they're after?
27.gif

That'd be more like she's banging the lie detector tester too.

LOL Good point.

Originally Posted By: SlipperyPete
Did they say whether or not they made any changes in the filter media or construction? An acknowledgment and explanation is probably all I would need to go back.

Good idea, I'll ask them.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
You get free $3 filters and they get to test out how it caused your engine to fail?

They test the filters whether my engines fail or not.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series

Might be me but that seems like the short end of the stick. Almost like a sponsored test dummy.

Did you come to an agreement if your engine meets its demise?

No, I did not. I also failed to negotiate clauses in case of terrorists, meteor strikes, or the Zombie Apocalypse. You know I only think of all that stuff after the fact. In the heat of the moment I only wanted those free filters. Oh yeah and all the rest of the deal I haven't discussed.

^^^ What's the rest of the deal, to become a Purolator Shill? LOL

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Will they pay for an engine if it did have a catastrophic failure?

If the filter caused such a failure, I don't think they'd have a lot of choice in the matter. I think it's a good idea on Purolator's part, at least to help restore confidence here. Heck, if Purolator hasn't upgraded their QC, and one gets a tear and they take a look at it, maybe the heads will leave the sand.
wink.gif

So no one has a clue about a VOA/UOA strategy or non-invasive tear detection? Not surprised because there's a lot of other cluelessness in this thread.

Just had a thought on tear detection. I could set up a little timed flow test using an oil filter adapter and the drained oil. I'd need a baseline like a new filter, and would need to watch variables like ambient and oil temperature. I'm sure Purolator wouldn't mind if the oil went through the filter one more time.

^^^ Like what kind of cluelessness? No, there is no way to detect tears without cutting the filter open. The tears happen on the other end of the pleat from the center tube, so no way to see it from the center tube holes unless you have a super tiny, lit up bore scope probe that would go through the center tube holes and snake around to the pleat crease near the can side. The other way is to hire Superman to look at the can with his X-ray vision. LOL

I doubt you would detect a small tear by flowing oil under the super small flow rate that gravity is going to produce, if that's the setup you're thinking of.

Even if you had a sophisticated Flow vs. PSID flow bench, I doubt you could detect much difference that a tear would cause unless you put a huge flow volume through the filter.

Besides, do you think Purolator is going to send you photos, etc of each filter you used after they analyze them?

I got to the party late...darn the bad luck. Hangfire, I think that they are actually doing a great thing by not only acknowlidging the failures, but sending new filters and trying to make this whole thing right. Dont worry, using their filters are not going to make you a "shill"
smirk.gif

I dont think you should expect much as to an explanation as to why the filters were failing, remember that they are handling this as carefully as their legal department will allow. I would continue to use their filters, and keep on moving down the road.
thumbsup2.gif

Can't believe some of the stuff written in this thread. People calling him a guinea pig and saying what if his engine blows?
crazy2.gif

Hangfire, it's good to hear that purolator got back to you and they're hooking you up with a few free filters and analyses. I highly doubt the filters will be flawed or defective in any way that could cost you your engine. Please keep us posted.

By the way, I know it's tempting, but I wouldn't mess with the filters to try and get an inside look.

Firstly, we don't know if Purolator are running in house tests and are now confident in their filters and have therefore sent some to the OP. It would certainly be strange if Purolator did not do constant quality control testing wouldn't it?

Yes they could be shining him on, and when they get the filters back they may hide the results from him.

So if the OP actually thinks that is possible, he will find out after filter #1 won't he? So he has 2 options:

1) Trust them and verify that trust after sending in filter #1.
2) Don't trust them and cut open the filters himself. If there is a problem, then send the filter to Purolator. His objective was to have his trust restored so the best way to make a decision is to just see the filter for yourself.

OP, to examine the filter I can see 3 options:

1) ZeeOSix's idea of a tiny inspection camera with a light could work

2) Your idea of a very strong light might work

3) My idea that might work: Empty the filter by pressing the ADBV. Empty it as much as possible. Take that oil and put it back into the center tube. Ideally add enough to fill the center tube. Mark the filter in 1/8th or more increments and number them. Put the filter on side 1 for 1 hour / 1 day whatever is easiest. Plug the center hole, turn the filter upside down, poke the adbv and see if oil comes out from the dirty side.

If there is a tear, oil should as easily go from the clean side to the dirty side.

As mentioned earlier, if Purolator conducted lab testing on a design/material change, then they could test to the most extreme use cases possible and verify it will hold up no matter who uses their filters.

I'm not really sure what Purolator's real intention is with HangFire. Using him as the "rolling test bed" is Mickey Mouse IMO. It will not give Purolator any real qualification/verification testing data to prove that any design changes are robust.

Originally Posted By: sxg6
Can't believe some of the stuff written in this thread. People calling him a guinea pig and saying what if his engine blows?
crazy2.gif

Hangfire, it's good to hear that purolator got back to you and they're hooking you up with a few free filters and analyses. I highly doubt the filters will be flawed or defective in any way that could cost you your engine. Please keep us posted.

By the way, I know it's tempting, but I wouldn't mess with the filters to try and get an inside look.

+1.

And that has got to be tempting, but you cant do it OP! You could always ask if they will give you the results back though. Maybe they will, you never know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back