Purolator PL14610 PureOne Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I'm wondering if Purolator is trying to save costs by reducing the number of pleats in some of their filters. Going from 51 to 46 pleats is a pretty significant difference, and highly doubt it was accidental.
Ding-ding-ding!

It's possible that Purolator doesn't specify an exact number of pleats, but only the total surface area of the media. They likely get their filter media from a supplier, and it's possible that one batch might have 48 pleats and one batch might have 52 pleats.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
It's possible that Purolator doesn't specify an exact number of pleats, but only the total surface area of the media. They likely get their filter media from a supplier, and it's possible that one batch might have 48 pleats and one batch might have 52 pleats.

I'm thinking Purolator puts the pleats into the media after they buy the media. I doubt it comes all folded up already from their supplier.

^^^ Pleat count on a PL14610 should be more like 51 pleats. That's what it has been on the 3 I've cut open in the past.

Are the 51 pleat count filters older than the date code posted with 46 pleats or do we know? Reducing media by 10% times the millions of filters they produce would be a significant cost savings.

Originally Posted By: ddog
Are the 51 pleat count filters older than the date code posted with 46 pleats or do we know? Reducing media by 10% times the millions of filters they produce would be a significant cost savings.

The PL14610s I cut open and counted pleats on were at least 2~3 years old. I'm thinking Purolator is reducing media area and hence pleat count, and this could be a contributing factor as mentioned before about increased pleat spacing and V-spread as a result of fewer pleats.

I'll count the pleats on the two I cut open yesterday. One that's not torn is from 2011, the one that's torn is from 2012. One still in the car is from 2013 I'm guessing. Haven't figured out how to upload pics here yet, looks like it want's a URL and the photos are in my computer. Here is a link to the photos of the filter's I cut yesterday in a miata.net thread on the subject. Miata.net PL14610 Pics

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ddog
Haven't figured out how to upload pics here yet, looks like it want's a URL and the photos are in my computer.

You have to upload your photos to someplace like www.photobucket.com, (free membership, just sign-up) then link the URL of the photo into the post.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
^^^ Pleat count on a PL14610 should be more like 51 pleats. That's what it has been on the 3 I've cut open in the past.

BTW, that was NOT counting the pleat that makes the seam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back