Purified vs. Distilled water

Status
Not open for further replies.
The largest independent coolant manufacturer here states that reverse Osmosis water is as good as anything as far as they are concerned and it's what they use in their 'complete' formulations. The levels of trace elements are virtually 0.
It's all I've been using for years too.

From the Tectaloy tech info book...

Quote:
Distilled Water

Distilled water is created by a process of
heating water until it turns to steam, this steam
is passed through a condenser of some kind,
the steam is cooled and reverts to pure water.
This process is very efficient for the
production of high quality water. The
description Distilled Water is often misused,
quite often demineralized water is referred to
as distilled water, this is technically incorrect
as the process that creates distilled water is
very different from the process to create
demineralized water. True distilled water is
becoming harder to obtain due to the cost of
production and the energy required by the
distillation process.

Demineralized Water

Demineralized water can be produced in
several ways, the most common ways of
production are, passing water through a
mixed bed deionizer or twin column
demineralizer. These machines contain either
a weak base ion exchange resin or a strong
base exchange resin depending on the quality
or quantity of water required. The quality of
good demineralized water will in most ways
be equal to that of distilled water.
Reverse Osmosis Water
Often referred to as RO water. RO water has
several advantages over the other systems,
it consumes less than 10% of the energy
required to distil water and uses no acids or
caustics like the demineralizers do. RO water
is of very high quality when it's produced by
large commercial machines. The RO machine
produces water by a pressure process. Feed
water is pressurized into a membrane that will
remove up to 99.8% of minerals and salts
contained in the feed water, good quality water
is collected and the waste water carries away
the salts and minerals. RO machines not only
produce high quality low conductivity water
they also have the ability to remove bacteria.

Rain Water

It is very hard to predict the quality of rain
water as it is subject to its environment and
the quality of any storage vessel used to collect
it. In an industrial area, rain water can be a
cocktail of chemicals and general fallout that
is washed from the roof into the collection
tank. If you believe rain water is the answer
just reflect for a second on the damage it does
to gutters and tanks, and they're usually
galvanized against corrosion.

Tap Water

The quality of mains water is too unpredictable
to be relied upon, try and avoid using it in
automotive cooling systems.

Spring Water

Spring water is totally unsuitable for use in
the cooling system as it is full of minerals and
salts, just read the bottle if you're in doubt.

Bore Water

Bore water is similar to spring water, it's full
of minerals and salts of all kinds depending
on the source. Some bore waters actually
contain more salt than sea water. Avoid the
use of bore water except in an emergency.

Sea Water

Although I doubt that anyone would
intentionally use sea water in a radiator I felt
it was worth a mention as I saw reference to
the use of sea water in the radiator on a
corrosion inhibitor product. Sea water is totally
unacceptable for use in the radiator.

Suitable Waters for use in the Cooling
System.

Distilled, Demineralized and RO waters are
the most suitable as they are always of similar
quality and purity. Rain water can be
acceptable but only from a known source that
has been tested, all other waters are basically
unsuitable.
When water is required in a formulation,
Tectaloy products use only the highest quality
low conductivity RO water. We manufacture
our water in-house using the latest and most
efficient equipment available. We only
manufacture radiator products so we make
sure we do it right.

WARNING! All pure waters are more
aggressive if used untreated. Always use a
quality corrosion inhibitor such as Tectaloy
Xtra-Cool Gold in conjunction with distilled,
demineralized or reverse osmosis water

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: labman
The internet is a great medium for kooks to spread junk science. Sorry, doc, I am a chemist, and the difference in distilled and tap water isn't enough to make near the difference you suggest. Tap water is seldom anyways near saturated with anything and will adsorb about as much as regular tap water.

Didnt quite understand your last sentence.

Tap water has a content that is in equilibrium with the leaching of the minerals around it, or an equilibrium consistent with the adsorption capacity of a media bed that it is run through for purification and cleanup (e.g. carbon, selexsorb, etc.).

DI water is not in equilibrium with anything... Produce DI water in the lab, stick a conductivity probe in there, and youll see it change by great amounts very quickly. The chemical potential of CO2 in the air makes it favorable to go into the liquid phase and minimize gibbs free energy. Even after equilibrated with CO2, there is LOTS of solubility for all sorts of other stuff, and even when equivalent with tap, there is still plenty more solubility for various things to be present in the liquid phase.

I think this is what you were trying to say... but had tap in there one too many times.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Originally Posted By: mcrn
Distilled water is great for drinking. Nothing wrong with it and very easily absorbed. A lot of athletes will drink distilled water. I do not understand why people think its bad to drink.

http://www.chetday.com/distilledwater.htm

He says, and I quote:

Quote:
The most toxic commercial beverages that people consume (i.e. cola beverages and other soft drinks) are made from distilled water.

No, they aren't. They are made with water from what ever municipal water system the plant happens to be connected to.

Tap water has dissolved ions like calcium, magnesium, sodium, etc. These make the water either acidic or alkaline. Distillation is just a process of producing nearly ion-free water by boiling the water then collecting the steam.

R/O is a different process but yields a similar result. Water is forced through a membrane which filters out ions.

The other common method is deionization, which uses two chemically charged resins (one attracts positive ions, the other attracts negative).

Note that the above processes only remove dissolved ions. You still need another method of filtration to remove dissolved chemicals (eg, pesticides, chlorine). Typically this would be charcoal carbon.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
No, they aren't. They are made with water from what ever municipal water system the plant happens to be connected to.

It's true that they obtain the water from local municipalities, I believe they are also usually purified in some way. Be it reverse osmosis, de-ionization or simple filtration.

I think a chemist would be best at understanding the bonds that happen with chemicals. Such as the link you posted suggested that pure H20 would somehow bond enough carbon dioxide that it could kill you because it would make you acidic. Thats pretty funny I think. If you really think about how many things you should not even be around if that is true. You would have to live in a bubble and I can't imagine what you would have to eat or drink.

i drink RO/carbon filtered water everyday. i suppose i could dissolve a piece of Calcium/Magnesium vitamin pill in every half gallon before i put it in the frige. nah i'll just drink it, we eat lots of veggies too and fish and meat

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

It's true that they obtain the water from local municipalities, I believe they are also usually purified in some way. Be it reverse osmosis, de-ionization or simple filtration.

However they do it, it doesn't remove the fluoride that's in the water.

Originally Posted By: labman
Yes, that is right, chemists know nothing about solubilities in water. That so called doctor is a kook.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Distilled water is great for drinking. Nothing wrong with it and very easily absorbed. A lot of athletes will drink distilled water. I do not understand why people think its bad to drink.
That is because all the food they eat is void of minerals.

I don't agree with some of these descriptions. There are many degrees of purification, and they lump all deionizations together. RO water also varies in quality as there are many types of RO, and the % of ions rejected depends on how many stages, the types of membranes, pressure utilized, etc. I have forgotten much of the specifics, but distillation also varies in quality, and often you get carryover of some species. Carryover varies with pressure too. Dissolved silica will vaporize in the steam, and the demineralizers described in the article do not cover the many variations available. If using RO for high purity boiler water for instance, it is often pretreated with softners, then acidified to prevent scaling of the membranes, and then polished through a mixed-bed demineralizer. It is very difficult to generalize on the quality of RO, vs demineralizers(deionizers), or distillers. If you only want to prevent scale in automotive applications, then any RO or demineralized water will suffice, and be far better than using most tap waters. I have experience with power plant RO units and demineralizers, It is hard to beat the purity of water passed through cation resin, vacuum degassifier, anion resin, then a mixed bed unit. This is what we used to produce water for a supercritical boiler.

In articles I have read about drinking pure water, they usually warn about drinking it for more than several weeks while fasting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back