PPS or PPK for a 1st gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
OK. With all due respect, I am sure there's enough such topics to discuss the matters than concern your fears in the same section or off topic general section, but can we please keep THIS thread on topic of gun selection only?
Thanks in advance.

Agreed, I just get irritated when uneducated libtards start spouting off about subjects they have little to zero knowledge about. They watch CNN and TYT too much. OOooooh, the gubment will protect me as they are sheep.

I apologize.

My recommendation still stands about going and trying a bunch of different pistols.

Originally Posted By: stchman
Originally Posted By: goodtimes
I wonder if I am the only one that all this scares the H out of them. People walking around, people I don't know at all, with .380 weapons, wondering if they are effective enough. Totally scares the H out of me, makes me want to stay near home, which is not freedom like I used to have in my book.

Sounds like the liberal media has effectively brainwashed you.

In MANY states besides CA millions of people carry concealed and crime rates are very low. I live here in MO and I know lots of folks that carry concealed and you know what, I feel very comfortable. Criminals don't like armed areas, that's why they target "gun free" zones.

I bet the folks that were at that San Bernadino area hearing gunshots probably wished they had something to protect themselves.

Since concealed carry permits have become more mainstream in the USA, crime has dropped significantly. Is it 100% attributable to CCW holders, no, but it is not 0%.

I don't get brain washed. I know what I know. I never used to be in fear of others around, now I am. My freedom has been taken away, no doubt about it. It is hard to understand how you can feel safer with unknown people are around you with concealed weapons. I suppose you assume you know what these people are thinking.

STCHMAN:
Oh no problem, you were responding to someone else anyway.
(There are uneducated people in both camps, like the ones who don't believe in science, etc, so one really can't generalize)

No need to apologize.
Let's keep the suggestions on guns coming.

Last edited:
This may have changed, but PPK and PPK/S were at one time being manufactured by S&W for/under license from Walther. They were somewhat problematic for at least a while. I would really research what the current state of quality is if I were considering one.

Were I to buy a 380 for carry it would likely be either a Colt Mustang or Beretta 84/85 (the Beretta are out of production). A Colt Defender is not much larger than a Mustang and can be had in 9mm and .45.

I'm an admitted 1911 guy though, and I still think for a first time pistol with a HD primary role one should probably buy a full size pistol.

It's still the same: PPK and PPK/s are made by S&W in USA.
PPS and PPX (there might be others) made in Ulm, Germany and imported by S&W.

Oh BTW I forgot: My hands not TINY but are on the smaller side, but again not WIMPY or anything. Hence looking at compacts / sub-compacts.

L
I wonder if I am the only one that all this scares the H out of them. People walking around, people I don't know at all, with .380 weapons, wondering if they are effective enough. Totally scares the H out of me, makes me want to stay near home, which is not freedom like I used to have in my book.

In MANY states besides CA millions of people carry concealed and crime rates are very low. I live here in MO and I know lots of folks that carry concealed and you know what, I feel very comfortable. Criminals don't like armed areas, that's why they target "gun free" zones.

I bet the folks that were at that San Bernadino area hearing gunshots probably wished they had something to protect themselves.

Since concealed carry permits have become more mainstream in the USA, crime has dropped significantly. Is it 100% attributable to CCW holders, no, but it is not 0%.

I don't get brain washed. I know what I know. I never used to be in fear of others around, now I am. My freedom has been taken away, no doubt about it. It is hard to understand how you can feel safer with unknown people are around you with concealed weapons. I suppose you assume you know what these people are thinking.

You fear law abiding citizens who have been through a background check and training to get a CCW?

And you blame those thoughtful, careful folks for the actions of thugs and criminals who don't get a CCW, and who get their guns illegally?

Yep.

Brainwashed.

Unable to see the illogic, the inherent inconsistency, in your thinking.

Why don't you go post on that subject in the general section, since your posts here are completely off topic? What you're doing here is called "trolling".

In the meantime: for the OP, if looks matter, well...then it's not a CCW weapon, it's a compromise. For CCW, the M&P Shield, the G43, and the Springfield XD are all fine, US made choices.

If you want a PPK because it's cool, well, then just get one! But once you've got it, consider other choices if you decide to CCW...kinda' like cars, there isn't one "best" gun for everything...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14

In the meantime: for the OP, if looks matter, well...then it's not a CCW weapon, it's a compromise. For CCW, the M&P Shield, the G43, and the Springfield XD are all fine, US made choices.

If you want a PPK because it's cool, well, then just get one! But once you've got it, consider other choices if you decide to CCW...kinda' like cars, there isn't one "best" gun for everything...

Thanks.
AGAIN, for the 2nd time, PLEASE look at my OP: i said looks are a SILLY factor, and said it myself. PLEASE LOOK UNDER CRITERIA, I didn't list "looks" there.
Just the comment that I think that the PPK does look good made everyone think looks are a deciding factor !!! SMH

My only choice for a person new to firearms would be a revolver. I love them for many reasons....and I have owned weapons for decades.
But, since it's not on your list of criteria (auto's only), I'll refrain.

I wonder if I am the only one that all this scares the H out of them. People walking around, people I don't know at all, with .380 weapons, wondering if they are effective enough.

I just don't understand why anyone would choose the .380 for self defense?

I've shot and owned a number of pistols. For a first gun owner, and especially for home defense and not concealed carry, I'd recommend a full size 9mm, if you're looking at pistols. Something like a Glock 17, a Smith and Wesson M&P, a Ruger SR9, an H&K VP9, Walther PPQ, etc. Polymer frames tend to absorb recoil well, and 9mm is as cheap of a solid defensive round as you can shoot. This market (polymer full size 9mms) is one of the most competitive out there, and there's a very good selection of guns out there.

Major differences include type of action (striker fired, double action, double/single action, single action), type of controls, whether they're ambidextrous or not, etc.

OP, you and I both live in Fayetteville, and I'd be happy to let you try some of my firearms some time to see what you like. I would personally recommend against going to Jims Pawn or Guns Plus -- those are the two mainline gun stores in town and they fleece GIs pretty good who have money to burn in their pockets. Carolina Firearms and Shooters Supply, both on Bragg Blvd, have been excellent to me, and I've bought a pistol from each of them. My favorite is Ed's Gun Shop out in Vass, NC, but it's a bit of a drive. I've bought two pistols from him.

Originally Posted By: billt460
I wonder if I am the only one that all this scares the H out of them. People walking around, people I don't know at all, with .380 weapons, wondering if they are effective enough.

In all seriousness? Size and recoil. Smaller hands, older hands, weaker hands...maybe a .380 is all they can handle in a concealable package. Better to carry a weapon that you can shoot well...than one you can't. Hit with a .22 being better than a miss with a .45...

But Goodtimes would be scared if you carried a .22.

He's scared of anyone with a concealed weapon, and sadly, is unable to distinguish between a good guy and a bad guy. He avoids the cold, simple fact that criminals carry concealed weapons, too....

Back to the OP, pulling out some preferences, and recommending an all around, moderate in size, well made, affordable, reliable weapon in a reasonable caliber, you might consider the Glock 19. Smallish. Great capacity. Easy to shoot. Incredible reliability.

Austria is close to Germany...right?

Last edited:
Personally I would go with a Sig P239 or the recent re-release of the Sig P225 called the P225-A1. Love the Sig DA/SA triggers.

Originally Posted By: billt460

There are a LOT of people that have a .380ACP(including myself) as a SD weapon.

Don't listen to the weenies that say .380ACP is ineffective. For home defense I can use pretty much whatever I want, but for my CCW, my Ruger LCP is my trusty sidearm.

I really like the PPK; we have S&W made.380 and .32, and I carry the .32 often. I prefer it over the .380.

Is a .380 big enough? Hard to say. I'm sure a shot in the right place will kill you dead, but we had a shoting here, a few years ago, where IIRC, a guy's disgruntled ex popped him through the neck with a 380 while he was asleep, and it didn't kill him and he didn't bleed out. I'm not even sure it woke him up.

I'm a firm believer that a bigger hole is a better hole, but the bottom line is, you have to make a hole to start with, and I tend to carry stuff that I have a very high degree of accuracy with. The PPK is such a gun.

Every .380 I own or have used has a really stiff slide pull; the only exception I can think of off the top of my head is the Walther PK380, which you might also want to take a look at. I think the PK380 is actually made by the parent company, Umarex, but it's branded Walther. The new UMAREX/Walther USA HQ is not far from my warehouse of junk, btw.

I don't have a PPS, always wanted one, just never got around to getting one. It looks like a fine gun.

Another vote for the 9mm Glock, either full size G17 or mid size G19. Very good choice for a beginner and the bigger the pistol, the easier it will be to shoot accurately.

The small Walther pistols are much less forgiving because they have a 'snappy' recoil and a shorter sight radius. They are also more complicated than the Glock and less reliable. Complicated and less reliable is bad for home defense.

Don't listen to the weenies that say .380ACP is ineffective. For home defense I can use pretty much whatever I want, but for my CCW, my Ruger LCP is my trusty sidearm.

I'm not saying it's "ineffective". It's just there are so many calibers that are so much MORE effective. Even the 9 MM leaves it in the dust. And in guns that hold more rounds, and are not that much larger. Sure a .380 is better than nothing. But that in itself is hardly reason to choose it when there is so much better available. It's sole reason for it's current popularity is that it is considered "cute" in all of these little pocket pistols.

I'm also a new pistol owner/shooter, so I'll share my experiences for what they're worth.

-I wanted to buy a gun for concealed carry, and I don't have the $ to buy two guns - one for nightstand/range use and one for concealed carry, so I was looking for a small gun for sure.
-I limited my search to 9mm because for range ammo it's the cheapest, it's a "real" caliber (though I'm not opposed to 380), and I've shot several 9mm pistols and the recoil really isn't bad at all.
-I wanted a striker-fired gun because the triggers tend to be easier to master.
-My hands are not large, so single stack guns are definitely easier to grip for me.
-I have little kids, and while I am very serious about keeping my guns secure from their little hands, I felt a lot better about guns with a manual safety. It's extra training for me, but if through some serious lapse on my part one of the kids got their hands on a loaded gun, I want as many things preventing them from shooting it as possible.
-This led me to consider guns like
-Ruger LC9s
-S&W Shield
-Taurus 709

So, OP, I'd suggest developing some more criteria... otherwise there are just too many guns to recommend!

Also, the main thing I've found difficult about a smaller gun is the sight radius, not the recoil. I still need to work a lot on accurate follow-up shots.

I don't get brain washed. That's an excuse. I know what I know. Now I worry about strangers all over, everywhere, with a killing machine on them, before I was not. Who knows what state of mind they are in. My freedom has been taken away and there is no doubt about that.

Wow. Hope you carry lotion with you - you'll need it for all that handwringing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back