Post your latest oil change

Originally Posted By: biodiesel
Originally Posted By: pavelow
The one and only time I ran Platinum I noticed the oil got "black" really fast and seemed much thinner than when it went in. I drained it and haven't used it since.

How do you know that an oil filter only needs to be screwed on hand tight but you're still ignorant to the fact that oil looking dirty is actually a good thing?
Ignorant? Thanks guy. I'll just say that I'm a consumer and I'll buy whatever the [censored] I want and Platinum isn't it. lol

Ignorant? Thanks guy. I'll just say that I'm a consumer and I'll buy whatever the [censored] I want and Platinum isn't it. lol

You do know the definition of the word don't you? It's not meant as an insult. I was just kind of confused as to how you knew that an oil filter was supposed to only be put on hand tight, yet somehow the knowledge that dirty oil is a good thing escaped you. I just think it's kind of ridiculous how many people are still ignorant, meaning they don't know and are uninformed, with regards to dirty looking oil being a good thing because it means the oil is cleaning and containing any contaminants within the suspension itself, instead of allowing them to adhere to engine internals. For you to insinuate that you don't like Platinum and will not be buying it again because it looked "dirty" is just plain silly. So you won't be buying it again because it was doing its job? Ummmm...ok. Suit yourself.

I honestly don't give a [censored] what oil you spend your money on. I could truly care less. I just don't want you, or anyone else reading your post, to go on any longer not knowing that dirty oil is a good thing.

lol.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Originally Posted By: RageOfFury
Changed out GC in my Liberty after running it for 4000 miles. I had a really really tough time unscrewing the Fram Extended Guard filter I was using. I had to "screwdriver" it to get it to unscrew. Last time I'll be using an extended guard me thinks...

Used Castrol Edge 5W-30 and an Mobil 1 M1-209 filter this time.

I had the same problem getting an extended guard off my car for my last oil change. I tried so hard to get it to turn that I literally tore some of the skin off of my finger, gave myself a blister and a bad bruise that swelled up on the palm of my hand. I know I put oil on the gasket too, really weird. I didn't think my oil filter wrench would work... come to find out, it did fit the smaller filter.
33.gif

You are putting your filters on too tight. Hand tight is all they need....."torquing" them down is not necessary.

I'd normally agree but I didn't put it on any more tight than I usually do. I usually have no problems getting my filters off by just using a nice pair of grippy gloves.

btw RageofFury - I got it off with one of my adjustable oil filter wrenches that I didn't think would fit it. I tried using my plier style first and it wouldn't work because it was too big for the small filter, so I didn't think the Lisle one that clamps the sides I have would work, but it did.

1990 Bronco2 2.9 v6.
RTS 5w40
Motorcraft FL1A

1997 Cherokee 4.0 i6
RTS 5w40
Mopar M0-090

1982 Honda XL500r
RT white bottle 15w40

Originally Posted By: RageOfFury
Changed out GC in my Liberty after running it for 4000 miles. I had a really really tough time unscrewing the Fram Extended Guard filter I was using. I had to "screwdriver" it to get it to unscrew. Last time I'll be using an extended guard me thinks...

Used Castrol Edge 5W-30 and an Mobil 1 M1-209 filter this time.

I had the same problem getting an extended guard off my car for my last oil change. I tried so hard to get it to turn that I literally tore some of the skin off of my finger, gave myself a blister and a bad bruise that swelled up on the palm of my hand. I know I put oil on the gasket too, really weird. I didn't think my oil filter wrench would work... come to find out, it did fit the smaller filter.
33.gif

You are putting your filters on too tight. Hand tight is all they need....."torquing" them down is not necessary.

I'd normally agree but I didn't put it on any more tight than I usually do. I usually have no problems getting my filters off by just using a nice pair of grippy gloves.

btw RageofFury - I got it off with one of my adjustable oil filter wrenches that I didn't think would fit it. I tried using my plier style first and it wouldn't work because it was too big for the small filter, so I didn't think the Lisle one that clamps the sides I have would work, but it did.

Both of my hands hurt so bad today. That was my first Fram oil filter and my last. I oiled the gasket, screwed it on by hand not too tight. I was able to turn it side to side somewhat when I installed it. Somehow the gasket fubar'ed and jammed up the filter. Argh it was such a pain. It was satisfying ramming a screwdriver through it. If it wasnt full of oil I would of likely thrown it across the yard. Mobil 1 filters from now on!

Stuck filter again for me! Changed my oil, and it was the second time I've had a filter stick, and the gasket broke off.
1st was a Fram and the 2nd an FL1A, so I must be tightening them too much, and I do it by hand.

Last edited:
2002 Nissan Pathfinder 3.5L V6
94,004 miles

Valvoline SynPower 5w30
K&N HP-1008 Oil Filter

Thank you Advanced Auto Parts for oil special and honoring those $10 off coupons! Made out of there with about $45.00 worth of goods for $18.01!

Castrol GTX int eh Jeep 10w30 with a Fram tough guard.

Castrol Syntec in the Mazda with a Fram cartridge filter.

I get the Castrol at Costco, and the Frams are easy to find.

Wifes catridge filters are built like tanks......why does it sound like Im trying to justify something?

2002 4runner V6... Rotella T6 5w/40....NAPA Gold
1996 Accord....Pennzoil Ultra 5w/30....NAPA Gold
1990 Miata........ Rotella T6 5w/40....NAPA Gold
1999 Tacoma V6...M1 EP 5w/30....NAPA Gold. due for change, suggestions?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: suspiciousmind
2002 4runner V6... Rotella T6 5w/40....NAPA Gold
1996 Accord....Pennzoil Ultra 5w/30....NAPA Gold
1990 Miata........ Rotella T6 5w/40....NAPA Gold
1999 Tacoma V6...M1 EP 5w/30....NAPA Gold. due for change, suggestions?

Rotella T5 10W-30!

1997 Toyota 4Runner Limited
3.4L V6
Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30
Fram Extended Guard

2002 Toyota Sequoia
4.7L V8
Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30
Fram Exttended Guard

April 23rd:

2003 Durango: Castrol GTX 5 qts., Castrol High Mileage 1 qt.
Amsoil SDF-15 filter.

2004 Chevy Tahoe: Castrol Blend 5w-30 5 qts., Castrol High
Mileage 1 qt., Supertech filter.

2009 Subaru Outback: Pennzoil Platinum 5 qts., Mobil 1 Synthetic
filter.

All 3 vehicles due on one day. Incredible.

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer(Brother's);

4qts 10w30 Mobil 1 SL rated.
Supertech ST7317 filter(non-ecore).

145,850 miles.

Only had 2.5qts in the sump when I changed it, typical of my brother.
06.gif

2009 Ford F-150 4.6L

6QTS Pennzoil PLatinum with Wix oil filter 51372
First oil change since purchase of the vehicle. Bought the truck with 2670 on it and a new oil change done at the dealer. I couldn't wait to get some goood stuff in it. Feeling much better now!

Last edited:
Back