Post your latest brake job

Neighbor finally ordered the pads last week. I just got to it today. Now he needs to order the rear rotors also. Passenger side could be used but drivers side is quite gouged on outside. The outboard pad was on metal. Last place that did it I don't think cleaned and lubed the slides, they were like glue. Passenger side was missing the rubber plug to seal outside and bellows has a chunk out of it where it goes into caliper. I had to use the impact to get the caliper slide out. Luckily I had one of the rubber plugs from my old Sequoia in my brake-box-of-stuff. The old "grease" if you want to call it that was so sticky from water getting in there. Cleaned, wire brushed everything, got the rubber "tubes" out and cleaned them. The one on drivers side was twisted up and also causing binding. They also didn't put the swear sensors on the last set to help let you know they are getting low. I put them on the new ones and the worn re-using one.

I put 3 new Raybestos Element 3 pads on. Passenger side in and out, drivers side inboard. I took the pad that had life left to it and used it on outside, drivers side. I know I need to redo the whole thing when the rotors and new rubber boots come but at least he can get to work (NYPD) safely. The new pads will be fine to reuse with new rotors. Everything was moving nicely as it should.

View attachment 198328
View attachment 198330
View attachment 198331
View attachment 198332
View attachment 198336
View attachment 198333
View attachment 198334
Finally had a non raining weekend and schedules that matched up to put the new rear rotors on. One of the caliper slide pins was looking a bit ugly but I knew that would happen since boot was ripped. I had greased up as good as possible. It was still moving pretty good.

Didn't get any pictures this time but everything came off nice and easy. Put the new rotors on, replaced all the rubber boots/plugs. Cleaned up everything, re-greased, reassembled with pads from January except drivers side got the new pad installed that I kept in box so it wouldn't get destroyed on gouged rotor. The old original one that I put there took the shape of the gouges but was working fine and had life left still.

This one that had thickness and groove.
1713200148938.jpg

Back