1a544c2d.jpg
[/img] [img:center]
d1653eda.jpg
[/img] [img:center]
6daba025.jpg
[/img]

Show off.

....but nice!

1968 Chevrolet Camaro Z28, 302CID. Photos taken circa 1983; as-received.

PUSHRO1.jpg

Friend leaves Sunnyvale and gets to Livermore. Engine doesn't want to idle. Friend fiddles with distributor timing and gets it to run. Continues on to Stockton. Replaces timing chain at friend's house. Drives back to Sunnyvale. Tells me that it runs fine but has no power climbing Altamont Pass, Pidgeon Pass and Mission Grade.

Of course it doesn't have any power. It's running on two cylinders. The oil pressure was low too.

stroker.jpg

383 stroker for my old 91 Corvette
vavlecover2.jpg

Replacing the valve cover gaskets on the Buick at 70,000 miles
carbont.jpg

carbon1k.jpg

Carbon build up in the intake of an 02 TDI, even with proper maintenance it is very common.

Originally Posted By: paulo57509

Friend leaves Sunnyvale and gets to Livermore. Engine doesn't want to idle. Friend fiddles with distributor timing and gets it to run. Continues on to Stockton. Replaces timing chain at friend's house. Drives back to Sunnyvale. Tells me that it runs fine but has no power climbing Altamont Pass, Pidgeon Pass and Mission Grade.

Of course it doesn't have any power. It's running on two cylinders. The oil pressure was low too.

wow, How does an engine get into that state? Improper torque during a rebuild?

The pushrods are bent and that only happens one way. Pistons smacked some valves. Somewhere between Sunnyvale and Livermore the timing chain probably jumped, which is why it needed a distrbutor adjustment.

Last edited by a moderator:
last year got a mixture of everything from mobil 1 to pennzoil YB on a 3k OCI. previous is unknown.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: flacoman
what became of that engine?

Put the lifters back in their respective holes as best as we could tell, replaced the pushrods, readjusted the valves (mechanical cam) and started it up. No bent valves because of the domed pistons; smacked the valves perpendicular and not at an angle.

The engine ran fine for years afterward until my friend parked the car in storage for restoration (it's still parked, untouched).

That engine pretty much makes up the entire value of the car; vintage "MO" engine code, 2.02 heads, off-road cam, Holley carb coded to the engine.....special ordered from the factory.

Originally Posted By: paulo57509

PUSHRO1.jpg

someone did alot of port work to those heads. i bet it ran like a champ!

cant tell from the pick but they should be 292 castings if they are correct. bad news is those are not the right lifters for the DZ 302. the originals were larger on the bottom like a mushroom to increase max lift time. they actually had to be put in from the bottom. but like you said, its got the gm performance off road special in it now anyway. bet it loved the rpms!

1998 Toyota Camry V6 (known sludge engine) with 207k. Ran with regular M1 every 3-4k or 6 months. Extreme short trips half the time.

Runs flawlessly.

IMG_1039-1.jpg

IMG_1040.jpg

IMG_1041.jpg

IMG_1042.jpg

IMG_1045.jpg

IMG_1047.jpg

IMG_1048.jpg

2007 Honda Civic Si - Modified 2.0L K20z3 Engine. 3k OCIs with various high end boutique oils over the years.

100,000 miles. Revs to 8,600rpm daily.

Looks flawless too me.

IMG_2247-1.jpg

IMG_2280-1.jpg

IMG_2260.jpg

IMG_2258.jpg

IMG_2263.jpg

IMG_2281.jpg

IMG_2277.jpg

IMG_2279.jpg

audi036.jpg

audi040.jpg

'04 Audi A4 at about 50K miles. M1 0w40 every 7K up to this point. Not as clean as I would have liked, but this car had PCV problems since it was new. Valve cover was pretty dirty.

Some zero'd out valves you say? Why yes. Did I adjust them? No.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
audi036.jpg

audi040.jpg

'04 Audi A4 at about 50K miles. M1 0w40 every 7K up to this point. Not as clean as I would have liked, but this car had PCV problems since it was new. Valve cover was pretty dirty.

Some zero'd out valves you say? Why yes. Did I adjust them? No.

Adjust hydraulic lifters?

Are they? I figured they were shim under bucket. Good thing I didn't try to adjust them. That would have been really frustrating.

Here's a couple from my '88 Volvo 760GLE with 210k miles. It had the PRV V6. Mostly had regular Pennzoil.

6-1-10003.jpg

6-1-10001.jpg

6-1-10004.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back