Post your current MPG

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Originally Posted By: smokey1
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Is the Yaris 1.5L a timing belt motor? I'm very much considering getting a 5 speed Sedan in the near term.

It's the same engine as in the Scions, isn't it?
Quite sure it's a chain . Same engine as XA , XB (1st generation) , ECHO , and TERCEL .

The 1NZ series engine USES A CHAIN, period. Same engine as the gas side of the Prius. I've seen the manual and diagrams -- chain, no belt.
I didn't ask if it was a chain , someone else did , was quite aware it wasn't a belt . Same as COROLLA .

25 MPG or 9.6 L/100km or 10.4 km/L

Since May '07. Combined cycle, trip to work is 3km.

Camry I4 2005. Auto (4 spd)

Here is the MPG, by fill-up since I bought the truck:
TacomaMPG.jpg

I wish more people did this, so they'd see the colder temperatures are associated with a drop in economy. That way, whatever they do in the spring won't be credited with an amazing 10% increase in fuel efficiency...when it is most likely just the change of temperature that is the reason! That's one way "old wives' tales" get started..."I started facing the car North when I filled up, and my mpg went up by 2!", or, "I put synthetic oil in and my mpg went up by 2!". Etc.

OH, I noticed your last couple of tankfuls had the best ever mileage. I'll be willing to bet it's associated with more careful attention to speed/accelleration, due to the high cost of fuel. Am I correct?

Last edited:
The only significant change that I made in the last few tank fills was to inflate the tires to 36 PSIG. All along I've been driving fairly conservatively and smoothly. The city/highway mix has been about 80/20 all along.

Right...but, it's also warmer. So, which had the most effect on the fuel economy? There is a point where harder tires actually increase rolling resistance...as they tend to skitter more across the road surface, which increases friction. It depends upon the contact patch, the suspension's abilities to eliminate the skittering, and the roughness of the road.

Also, I think it's interesting that the biggest changes in mpg are right next to one another. This shows that more complete or less complete filling of the tank is probably the cause. Overall, the TREND is what is important, and, the lowest mpg come in the coldest months...which is to be expected.

I agree. The tire pressure change was the only obvious change that I made. I'm going to trend it this summer vs. last. Maybe I'll also start logging mean temperature. That would be interesting and maybe even instructive! Factors of how the fuel is being diddled with (concentration of ethanol and other oxygenates) and how it affects the fuel energy value is harder to keep track of.

My last measured drive in my 92 Dodge Spirit was 167 miles with 5.4 gallons burned. Filled up before the drive, filled back up after the drive and it took 5.4 gallons. Roughly 50 percent of the 167 miles was rural type with rolling hills and speeds around 80-90 km/h. The other approx. 50 percent was all highway, driving into fairly heavy rain. 167 miles on 5.4 gallons equals roughly 30.9 miles per gallon. Not too shabby for a 16 year old car with nearly 200,000 miles.

Current MPG with all vehicles driven 20%city, 30%country and 50% highway:
Trailblazer: 19.12 mpg
Mountaineer: 17.58 mpg
Chevy Aveo(my hero): 38.09 mpg

Originally Posted By: CentralNY1
Current MPG with all vehicles driven 20%city, 30%country and 50% highway:
Trailblazer: 19.12 mpg
Mountaineer: 17.58 mpg
Chevy Aveo(my hero): 38.09 mpg
is the AVEO an automatic or manual tranny ? '08 as well ? THANKS

Its a 2008 sedan with the automatic tranny. I've gotten as high as 40.91mpg recently. EPA rated 24/32 with the auto but I havent had a single tank come back less than 34.65mpg.

2007 Mustang GT 4.6L or 281ci 5spd manual 27.4 on the trip calculator but really 26.7 (it almost always says roughly 1 mpg higher than actual) 100% me driven

2000 Explorer XLT 4.0 SOHC 2WD always between 19-21 MPG 19 when the wife drives it 21 when I drive it. 60% wife driven 40% me driven

2001 Town & Country LXI 3.3L Flex Fuel. 17-26MPG I recently got 26 MPG while driving down I-95 at 64MPH. 90% wife driven 10% me driven

I do almost all highway driving, I drive 25 miles each way to work 23 miles on the hwy. My wife is a stay at home mom who rarely drives more than 5 miles at any one time (I stick to a 3K OCI on the minivan)

2006 Kia Rio automatic 315 miles 44.1mpg with constant AC on full blast due to the heat wave on the eastcoast and some needless idling when the wifes 2008 mazda5 overheated.
shocked2.gif
I've gone as far as 433 miles and still had allot of gas in the tank.

The wifes 2008 Mazda5 went 428.9 miles 35.8mpg right after I bought it in March and still had a quarter tank. This was my normal drive to work took about 4 days to accumulate the miles.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
33.3mpg, tires now at 37psi, 5w20 oil, and very slow driving with maximum coasting. pretty good for a car EPA rated 20/26.
Congrats on some efficient grandpa driving
cheers3.gif

Back