Post your current MPG

4K miles on the odometer, currently doing 34mpg (75% city / 25% highway). A/C as required, tend to drive at about 5-6mph over posted limit. If there's a passing lane, I'll drop down to the speed limit.

Last edited:
I drive a bit like yourself and I am averaging 31.4. Wifey test drove a Yaris Automatic Sedan and she said the engine sounded like a chainsaw when she got on it. She is happy with the Focus...

I would love a three-door Yaris(white).

Mine's a five-door (Canada). The engine is pretty unrefined, but, if I wanted refinement, I would have said the heck with gas mileage and gotten myself a CTS.

Last edited:
I was along for the ride and thought the Yaris engine sounded like a healthy little gas scoundrel. Wifey just didn't care for it. The Yaris is a modern day Geo Metro built by Toyota. Who could ask for anything more?

I hope Yari (that's plural for Yaris
thumbsup2.gif
eat your heart out mori...) have side airbags and such - being they are such tiny vehicles. How's the crash test stats?

In all honesty, they're likely better than my 94 Corolla.

Filled up today. (@ $3.98 gallon...
smirk2.gif
)

46.78 MPG for the week. A/C on all the time and kept it right at 67mph when on the freeway for the whole 520 mile tank. About 90hwy and 10% city.

Overall MPG since April is almost 45mpg.

2005 Toyota Corolla 5 speed.

Bill

12.gif

Since I bought my Harley, the ONLY time I use my truck now is when it rains or I need to haul something.
thumbsup2.gif

Over 1200 miles on my bike in 3 weeks. Avg = 45 MPG.

'96 Saturn SL2 Automatic, 114k

35.22 mpg. 4 people, some luggage, 60-70 mph speeds, lots of A/C usage.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Filled up today. (@ $3.98 gallon...
smirk2.gif
)

46.78 MPG for the week. A/C on all the time and kept it right at 67mph when on the freeway for the whole 520 mile tank. About 90hwy and 10% city.

Overall MPG since April is almost 45mpg.

2005 Toyota Corolla 5 speed.

Bill

Good show Bill! I agree, 67 MPH is an excellent HWY speed for great MPG. We got 35.5 MPG out of a '96 Accord by going that steady speed.

1998 Prizm (3 speed auto), 32 MPG last tank (50/50 city, highway), I'm in the middle of my auto-rx cleaning phase right now. I keep extensive mileage records, 32 MPG is the best I've gotten in mixed driving, I can get up to 37 MPG just in highway driving. Of course I drive like a grandpa, usually don't speed at all and take my time getting up to speed, don't race from stop lights. I think people would be suprised just how much they can save on gas by driving better.

Last edited:
I hyper-mileaged my way over to main office last week a 300 mile round trip. Never went over 60 mph. And averaged 40.1 with the Milan 2.3 auto. Tires set at 40psi, new air filter, FP60 in the tank of Fleet Farm fuel,and everything out of the car I really don't need.
Slow starts and coasting up and down the on/off ramps.
I figured out the mileage by miles/gallons not by the gauage.

Last edited:
I drove my wife's 02 Odyssey to her parents (280 mile round trip) at 65-68 mph and no A/C. No hypermiling, into head winds on the trip down and cross winds on the return and, to my amazement, got 27 mpg (a new record for the pig). Cold tire pressures set to 38 psi.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
45+MPG with the A/C on?! Am I reading that right?
shocked2.gif

It has been in the mid 90s all week.

A/C ON!
thumbsup2.gif

Really for me, the A/C does not hit the MPG any I've found. The only time I've found the A/C being on is when I have the car really loaded and getting up a big grade. I may have to downshift into 4th a little earlier towards the top.

If I maintain 3500-4000 rpm during those climbs, I can maintain my speed.

Love the car! Would by another one again (even with the thin paint)

Bill

Loaded up the old '88 Jeep Cherokee with 4.0l for a run to the Cabin last weekend. Two adults, baby, dog and all the stuff for four days. Pulled 21.9 mpg on the way up, and 23.1 mpg on the way back. Moving average of about 67 mph. Not bad for a brick hurtling through the air... Long term fuel milage is a hair over 17 mpg - below zero weather tends to drag the year around numbers pretty bad!

E10 gas, tires at 32 psi, 10w30 conventional oil - no exterior accesories anymore (bug shield, roof rack, etc...)

Originally Posted By: Titan
Right...but, it's also warmer. So, which had the most effect on the fuel economy? There is a point where harder tires actually increase rolling resistance...as they tend to skitter more across the road surface, which increases friction. It depends upon the contact patch, the suspension's abilities to eliminate the skittering, and the roughness of the road.

Also, I think it's interesting that the biggest changes in mpg are right next to one another. This shows that more complete or less complete filling of the tank is probably the cause. Overall, the TREND is what is important, and, the lowest mpg come in the coldest months...which is to be expected.

Not true at all. My tires are rated for 34 PSI, but I pumped them up to 50PSI, and my MPG increased 12% just doing that alone. Grip, performance, turning, and braking are nearly the same as if the tires were set to the recommended PSI. Tire grip and wear are excellent, no worries. More PSI means less tire patch on the road, but not so little to cause any safety worries. More PSI means lower rolling resistence. Most tires can safely handle 100 PSI, as this durability was engineered into them to cut down on losses from lawsuits. I'm about 3/4's through my tire's thread and so at 35,000 miles, I should be able to get to 45,000 or 50,000 easily before needing to change them.

Back