Post your current MPG

'08 TOYOTA Yaris Liftback w/5 speed manual : 42.5 m.p.g.: PLATINUM 5w-30 , REDLINE MT-90 , tire pressure : 34+1/4

Originally Posted By: smokey1
'08 TOYOTA Yaris Liftback w/5 speed manual : 42.5 m.p.g.: PLATINUM 5w-30 , REDLINE MT-90 , tire pressure : 34+1/4

Outstanding. I should know this, but is the Yaris' motor the same as or related to the Corolla's?

I've always like the Corolla engine. Torquey and efficient.

2000 Boxster S 3.2L 6 sp. 27 mpg highway
1998 Volvo V70 XC 2.4L auto. 26 mpg highway
1995 Subaru outback 2.2L 5 sp 27 mpg highway

all @ 70 mph, a little better at 60 mph

Originally Posted By: glennc

Outstanding. I should know this, but is the Yaris' motor the same as or related to the Corolla's?

No. Different motor (1.5l vs 1.8l). Thats why it gets worst MPG than the Corolla even though its 300 cc smaller in a smaller / lighter car.

A few of my co-workers bought Yaris and they get worst MPG than the folks with Corollas.
21.gif

Take care, bill

Is the Yaris 1.5L a timing belt motor? I'm very much considering getting a 5 speed Sedan in the near term.

It's the same engine as in the Scions, isn't it?

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I'm very much considering getting a 5 speed Sedan in the near term.

Suggest sitting in a a couple models (2 dr. vs. 5 dr)/trim lines. I noticed a big difference in drivers seat position. I don't know if it was due to the sport trim or due to the 4dr. vs. 2dr. but one sat lower and was much more comfortbale for me than the other. Might make a difference on longer drives.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

No. Different motor (1.5l vs 1.8l). Thats why it gets worst MPG than the Corolla even though its 300 cc smaller in a smaller / lighter car.

A few of my co-workers bought Yaris and they get worst MPG than the folks with Corollas.
21.gif

Take care, bill
worst mileage ? How's that ? Perhaps lead feet . My best so far is 44.5 m.p.g. with 2 passengers and 65%Hwy/35%Cty . Also got 40 m.p.g. doing a delivery route of over 250 stops that covers many steep hills and 4 hrs of driving ( 2 passengers and 90 lb. extra weight ) .

Last edited:
Is the Yaris 1.5L a timing belt motor? I'm very much considering getting a 5 speed Sedan in the near term.

It's the same engine as in the Scions, isn't it?
Quite sure it's a chain . Same engine as XA , XB (1st generation) , ECHO , and TERCEL .

Originally Posted By: saaber1
I'm very much considering getting a 5 speed Sedan in the near term.

Suggest sitting in a a couple models (2 dr. vs. 5 dr)/trim lines. I noticed a big difference in drivers seat position. I don't know if it was due to the sport trim or due to the 4dr. vs. 2dr. but one sat lower and was much more comfortbale for me than the other. Might make a difference on longer drives.
the YARIS sedan has drivers seat height adjustment . The L.B. seats are mounted higher . Found the sedans' driver seat better for adjustment ( legs ) for clutch pedal engagement . The YARIS 5 speed sedan can get close to 45 m.p.g. if yeh pamper it . YARIS sales are up 46% , so may not get good discounts from certain dealers .

Last edited:
I test drove one of the lift backs in a 5 speed and was fairly impressed with it considering it's small size. Ride was so-so but that was to be expected with that type car. It was peppy enough.

We test drove the Yaris and settled on the Corolla as we did not like the middle dash layout and it didn't have the room the Corolla did. I like the sedan version of the Yaris, but the 3-door hatch back is butt ugly. Cartoonish like the Echo was.

I think they both look frumpy but would take the the hatchback over the sedan anyday. The front of the sedan looks too happy and girly.

To keep this on topic, for my last two fill ups I got 40 mpgs doing 300 miles highway and 78 city and 36 mpgs doing 120 highway and 200 city.

21.gif

Take care, bill
worst mileage ? How's that ? Perhaps lead feet . My best so far is 44.5 m.p.g. with 2 passengers and 65%Hwy/35%Cty . Also got 40 m.p.g. doing a delivery route of over 250 stops that covers many steep hills and 4 hrs of driving ( 2 passengers and 90 lb. extra weight ) .

5 people in a corolla doing 75 mph from San Diego to Salt Lake City in 110 degree weather (so solid AC) with luggage and for the whole trip I got 44. Last tank in my Corolla was over 47 MPG. (65 mph AC on with just me and about 100 lbs of stuff in the car)

The Yaris should get 50 plus. It does not.

The Corolla weights more, carries more, has a bigger engine and is bigger and gets better MPG. Bigger gas tank for longer range.

Thats ok. You like your car and I like mine. I can not fit in a Yaris too well and the Corolla fits me fine.

Take care, Bill

Bill, do you know if many Corolla owners get the mileage that you're getting or are you the exception?

I'm lucky if I manage 40 in my Civic going under 70 mph with the air off mostly highway.

I've got at least 5 co-workers who have Corollas and the 5 speeds get over 40 with ease and the Autos get around 40 mpg.

The Civic does not get as good MPG (my Dads 2001 sure did not).

There are not as many Civics here when compared to Corollas.

The car that BLOWS me away for MPG (or lack of) is the Neon/PT cruisers. They are lucky to see 30 MPG...

Accords and Camerys get 30 MPG easy. Why does a Neon/PT Cruiser get so bad MPG?

Take care, Bill

had an 2000 CHEVY Prizm (1.8 ltr. aluminum block and used PENNZOIL S.U.V. 5w-30 syn-blend in it at that time ) w/ 5 speed ( REDLINE MT-90 gear oil ) that got 43.5 at its best . Also had an '99 PRIZM ( cast iron block ) w/ 4 speed automatic that got a bit over 40 m.p.g. on occasion . Your estimates seem quite phenomenal . What's your secret ?

Last edited:
I've got at least 5 co-workers who have Corollas and the 5 speeds get over 40 with ease and the Autos get around 40 mpg.

The Civic does not get as good MPG (my Dads 2001 sure did not).

There are not as many Civics here when compared to Corollas.

The car that BLOWS me away for MPG (or lack of) is the Neon/PT cruisers. They are lucky to see 30 MPG...

Accords and Camerys get 30 MPG easy. Why does a Neon/PT Cruiser get so bad MPG?

Take care, Bill

best I've gotten with a 2AZ-FE camry (auto) was 30.5 MPG using super premium gas (98RON) going 90 km/hr. Just can't break that. that was 100% highway driving too, heavily loaded. generally between 22 and 28 MPG depending on the highway/short trip mix.

I run 10W-30 though, and tyres only at about 30psi (toyota;s spec). I am bumping that up to 34 psi tomorrow.

I agree corolla's are really fuel efficient cars. Renting an 06 a year or so ago I got about 6.5 L/100km or 36 MPG in an auto.

I also see the new corolla is rated 7.3 L/100km average cycle (manual) and 7.4 L/100km auto cycle. Bill, do you have a manual or auto? as for auto trannie maintenance, is it an idiot-style trannie with no dipstick or plug or can you at least do some ATF maintenance. thanks. with such a small consumption difference, fuel economy would no longer be the driver in me choosing a manual over an automatic.

Last edited:
Back