Please recommend a tire? 2011 Ford Mustang...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like most tire brands General makes some awful tires, some good tires, and some outstanding tires. I haven't run this specific model but it is available in your size and is very favorably reviewed.

I'm not a fan of all seasons, but sometimes they can be a nice compromise.

A most emphatic yes on the Pilots, they are well worth their premium price. They actually last pretty good too, but that's very driver-dependent.

I settled on the Ventus V12's as a great compromise and have found them to be excellent so far, but they are also a summer only tire.

I have General GMax AS-03's on my 350Z and they are a great tire. I don't do any track time with the car, but for a daily driver they are relatively quiet and smooth and have great traction in the rain, which was my primary complaint of the Nitto's that were on the car. Can't speak to treadwear as I've only had them on 600 miles, but otherwise a great tire especially for the price.

Originally Posted By: cwing6
I have General GMax AS-03's on my 350Z and they are a great tire. I don't do any track time with the car, but for a daily driver they are relatively quiet and smooth and have great traction in the rain, which was my primary complaint of the Nitto's that were on the car. Can't speak to treadwear as I've only had them on 600 miles, but otherwise a great tire especially for the price.

I checked these out today at the local tire store (Commercial Tire). I believe that at Tirerack - 1 @ $150. 4 shipped is $665. Commercial tire wants $1062.93 installed (mounting, balancing, new valve stems, etc.).

Thinking that whatever I buy I may buy through internet site, then take tires to Wal-Mart and install.

Went to a few other tire shops. Any that I asked for they didn't have and had a "best tire" for my money. Seems like they want you to buy what they want.

Checked Costco, but they won't mount on my car since I have aftermarket rims, and the tire size isn't Ford OEM.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Make sure and check Discount Tire Direct. They guarantee the lowest delivered price.

Saves $30 on these tires. I am not even sure on these as of yet, but they are reviewed very favorably and one of the lowest priced tires.

Just seeing if local dealers were somewhat close. Not even in the ballpark. Wow! What a markup they want.

We buy TONS of tires from DTD, and you can use their prices to get you a better deal if you want to shop. Print out their deal and get to work!

DTD also has an arrangement with hundreds if not thousands of tire places. They can ship there for you! Then you get a special low rate for mounting and balancing as well.

Originally Posted By: troyh
Stock tires were 17" BF Goodrich Radial TA's on stock rims. I bought a new set of 18" rims (and sold the stock ones), that came mounted with Sumitomo summer tires HTZ II tires. I hate them. Loudest tires I have ever had. Louder in my Mustang, than BFG AT KO's in my truck.

If they are available for your car the Hankook Ventus V12's are a terrific summer only tire.

Rated very highly and surprisingly inexpensive as well. One of the quietest and smoothest riding 180 mph rated tires I have ever had.

I'm on my 5th set of shoes in 60k miles!

I'm going with a set of the hankooks as you said, they ARE inexpensive for how good they are rated. Overkill may have suggested them to me lol

From the Hankook? Why would you want those if you don't get many miles out of them?

Initially, I was going to get the Potenza 970 AS at a fair price (plus have a discount this month as well) at Costco, but they refused to install them for me as I had aftermarket rims and they can only install Ford Mustang OEM. Silly policy, even discussed with the shop manager. Only way to get this deal was just buy the tires and install somewhere else, or bring in all 4 rims for mount and balance.

Was going to order off Discount Tire Direct and have installed around here. Commercial Tire wanted $125 for 4 installed. Same with Bruneel. Les Schwab wanted $49.50 a tire to install!
shocked.gif

Wal-Mart $11.50 a tire. Gotta watch these tire places.

Went to a local independent tire shop. Was talking up and down about the Continental DWS. Seems like a great tire. For a little more I got the Michelin Super Sport. I told him the price on the internet with free shipping. He "kind of" matched it. So all in all the total will be about $85 more or so (most of that sales tax), but get them tomorrow morning.

I feel the extra price may be worth it, as if I have any problems I can go gripe to him instead of dealing with a tire certificate or a tirerack road hazard warranty.

From the Hankook? Why would you want those if you don't get many miles out of them?

Initially, I was going to get the Potenza 970 AS at a fair price (plus have a discount this month as well) at Costco, but they refused to install them for me as I had aftermarket rims and they can only install Ford Mustang OEM. Silly policy, even discussed with the shop manager. Only way to get this deal was just buy the tires and install somewhere else, or bring in all 4 rims for mount and balance.

Was going to order off Discount Tire Direct and have installed around here. Commercial Tire wanted $125 for 4 installed. Same with Bruneel. Les Schwab wanted $49.50 a tire to install!
shocked.gif

Went to a local independent tire shop. Was talking up and down about the Continental DWS. Seems like a great tire. For a little more I got the Michelin Super Sport. I told him the price on the internet with free shipping. He "kind of" matched it. So all in all the total will be about $85 more or so (most of that sales tax), but get them tomorrow morning.

I feel the extra price may be worth it, as if I have any problems I can go gripe to him instead of dealing with a tire certificate or a tirerack road hazard warranty.

Bravo! You're going to love them.

BTW, my car shipped with Goodyear RSA all seasons ([censored] tire), I then ran Toyo Proxes 4 (3 sets, really good tire) and was actually trying to get a Pilot SS but they were unavailable in my size. Not to mention STAGGERINGLY expensive.

The Hankooks were touted on the BMW boards on the heavier cars, since mine is a bit porky they work very well. Very smooth riding and quiet.

Treadwear is of little concern for me, much more concerned with staying on the road.

shocked.gif

Bravo! You're going to love them.

BTW, my car shipped with Goodyear RSA all seasons ([censored] tire), I then ran Toyo Proxes 4 (3 sets, really good tire) and was actually trying to get a Pilot SS but they were unavailable in my size. Not to mention STAGGERINGLY expensive.

The Hankooks were touted on the BMW boards on the heavier cars, since mine is a bit porky they work very well. Very smooth riding and quiet.

Treadwear is of little concern for me, much more concerned with staying on the road.

The shop I had these installed did not offer the Hankooks, or I would have checked them out.
I noticed last night that Discount Tire Direct was offering a $50 off this weekend on a set of 4 tires. I mentioned that to the shop this morning before arriving at my appointment.
Ended up waiving his mounting/balancing fee so it was about a wash with that as well.
Expensive, yes but I will see on this set if Michelin holds up to the name. So far so good. We will see when it rains. I know a country road here where the speed limits on corners goes from 45 to 20, and not a problem at 65. No squealing. Steering response good. So far I am happy with them.

Just confused on the pressure. I told the guy make sure 35. The door placard reads 32 on the stock 17" tires. Got home and let them out to 35. Would this be the optimal pressure? 32 seems a little low?

What this requires is a very sharp eye on the wearing patterns.

My car works well with just 2 pounds over stock (34 all around). But I have almost perfect 50/50 weight distribution.

I would bump it 2 psi and watch the edges for wear. Keep going up until you quit scrubbing the edges off the fronts. If you have a weight bias, the heavy end always needs more pressure.

Originally Posted By: Planb
I recomend the Bridgestone Potenza re-11 or Dunlops Direzza z1 Star specs. The Dunlops are a little on the loud side tho.

+1000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back