Please recommend a tire? 2011 Ford Mustang...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for the best tires for Mustang, and driving conditions. I do not drive in snow when it does, as I have a 4X4 truck for those days. Driving will be when it is clear roads, perhaps rainy days here and there. So would I be looking for a summer tire then, as I do not really need All Season tires I think as there will be no travel in snow.

I am currently looking at the Michelin Pilot Super Sport (Summer tires) and the Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS (which is all Season but has a 40K warranty).

Any ideas on the ideal tire?

Originally Posted By: troyh
I am currently looking at the Michelin Pilot Super Sport (Summer tires) and the Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS (which is all Season but has a 40K warranty).

Any ideas on the ideal tire?

What's more important: treadlife or steering response?
If you're looking for super crisp steering response, you're probably better off sticking with a summer tire. I have the predecessor of RE970 (RE960). They're good tires in dry and wet and they do last a bit longer than summer-only tires, but steering response is not as good.

Stock tires were 17" BF Goodrich Radial TA's on stock rims. I bought a new set of 18" rims (and sold the stock ones), that came mounted with Sumitomo summer tires HTZ II tires. I hate them. Loudest tires I have ever had. Louder in my Mustang, than BFG AT KO's in my truck.

I recomend the Bridgestone Potenza re-11 or Dunlops Direzza z1 Star specs. The Dunlops are a little on the loud side tho.

keep in mind that summer tires are not recommended for use below certain temperatures, like 40 or something. could have noticable flat spots until you warm them up on a highway.

One vote for the Michelins. I ran the Original Pilot Sports on my Mustang, and on the Volvo I ran the PS2's and am now on The Pilot Super Sports. Expect somewhere in the 20-25k range for treadlife on any high performance Michelin, but they will impress.

Stock tires were 17" BF Goodrich Radial TA's on stock rims. I bought a new set of 18" rims (and sold the stock ones), that came mounted with Sumitomo summer tires HTZ II tires. I hate them. Loudest tires I have ever had. Louder in my Mustang, than BFG AT KO's in my truck.

If they are available for your car the Hankook Ventus V12's are a terrific summer only tire.

Rated very highly and surprisingly inexpensive as well. One of the quietest and smoothest riding 180 mph rated tires I have ever had.

I'm on my 5th set of shoes in 60k miles!

You need to post the exact size you need for the most accurate recommendations. Not all tires are available in all sizes so we need to know what size 18's you want/need.

GoodYear F1 GSD3's. I ran these on my 420rwhp Camaro SS. Awesome dry and wet traction from this tire. Pricy and only last 20K, but they provide alot of traction for the money. Before I sold the car I ended up just running Nitto 555R drag radials all the time as I wanted 100% traction and did not put alot of miles on the car. The 555R's last around 5K depending on how many burnouts you provide.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
You need to post the exact size you need for the most accurate recommendations. Not all tires are available in all sizes so we need to know what size 18's you want/need.

255/45-18

Thanks for all the ideas.

255/45-18

Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position
General G-MAX AS-03

Summer tire does not mean as much in terms of snow as it does temperature.

Summer tires lose effectiveness in ALL conditions below 40F. If you drive in winter all-season. No idea on RE970 but I owned RE960 and it was great tire all around except snow/ice which does not apply here.

255/45-18

Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position
General G-MAX AS-03

General G-MAX AS-03

I have noticed that the price on these tires are fantastic. How good are General tires?

I was actually leaning toward the Michelin Pilot Super Sports, but that price!

There are some (General for one and the Firestone Firehawks) I can almost literally get 2 sets for one of the Michelins!

Is Michelin really worth the premium they charge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back