Pilot shortage

Status
Not open for further replies.
For well done feel-good PR on the upside of ab initio there is a 20 minute video documentary about the program at ETIHAD (Emirati) about their pilot development program. It includes a compulsory non-flying academic program of at least two years and a go-slow approach that seems be as good as these sorts of programs get. I don't know and certainly can't tell from the video how much "seasoning" the program instills but it looks like a very sober approach. The inclusion of women in the program is another plus given where the program is (UAE).g

Search YouTube:

Flag Above The Clouds - Emirati Cadet Pilots Documentary

How do Russia and China source airline flight crews? I'm guessing they are all former military pilots, yes?

Given their safety record they may all be ex vodka distributors. It's a really good question though and I'd bet you're right about a solid pipeline from the military for a good proportion of them. I wonder how long a military pilot has to "contract" for with their air force. I've read that in the US it is now 10 years minimum.

When I was in NJROTC, my dreams of becoming a pilot were deflated by this one ___sucker who told me I'd never be allowed since I don't have 20/20. Now that I see what my future would have been, I'd like to send him a care package every Christmas.

I talk to a lot of college age people. None of them want to be a pilot. Writing is on the wall. Thanks to the mercurial nature of the industry, I'm pretty sure they'd like a career in detailing sinking ships on fire than an airline job.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
When I was in NJROTC, my dreams of becoming a pilot were deflated by this one ___sucker who told me I'd never be allowed since I don't have 20/20. Now that I see what my future would have been, I'd like to send him a care package every Christmas.

I talk to a lot of college age people. None of them want to be a pilot. Writing is on the wall. Thanks to the mercurial nature of the industry, I'm pretty sure they'd like a career in detailing sinking ships on fire than an airline job.

I also talk to some young folks and many simply don't want to put in the time, effort and energy required to get into certain career fields. Let's not forget the student loans.

Example:
one guy daydreams about being a pharmacist but doesn't want to do 4 years of Chemistry (with minimum 3.5 GPA) to get into pharmacy school, then do a residency at hospital. Easy to dream about the big $$$..... much more difficult to accomplish.

The guy is stuck making $12 as a pharmacy technician....

I think too many of them have seen their parents or other adults get way too deep into time and money just to make the same wage as a regular wage worker.

That was one of the things that gave me pause when it came time to go to college. So many careers are just such a waste where the time/money is concerned.

One person I know from high school was in medical school from 1999-2009. She makes $65k a year. Program she was in was something like $41k a semester. But she "made her family proud".

Years ago, people used to tell me I should go back to school so I can do "more" with myself. I don't hear that anymore lol.

Not all bad though. Know some people who went off to be cosmetic surgeons and now live like Tony Montana.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

One person I know from high school was in medical school from 1999-2009. She makes $65k a year. Program she was in was something like $41k a semester. But she "made her family proud.

Something isn't adding up here. Med school is general 4 years. Unless she got a masters, then went to med school.

Part of the problem is the entitlement mentality. Too many people go into a field for the salary and not because they have a passion for it. I have a friend in school to be a physician assistant. All she talks about is how much she's going to make when she gets a job. I really hope she's not thinking about her paycheck when she's examining patients or trying to figure out the correct dosage for a cancer patient's medication. Money will come eventually. Nothing good comes easy. I'm 32 years old and with more people of my generation would understand that.

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
Understood and that's a good answer. My answer was driven by two thoughts. First was safety. Your list of possible foibles of the King Air convinced me that, given a choice as a customer, I would rather fly something else from a safety standpoint. The second was a 7,000 hour TBO on a single engine TPE331 versus maybe 3,500 on two PT6A engines. Those hours roll up quickly. Was your 8 loads per hour on the King Air to 14,000 Ft. with an equal load? Older Caravans with the 600/675 hp -114 engines do approach 4 loads per hour on average. I don't know how many extra loads, if any, could be handled by the 900hp/4 blade prop Supervan but a telephone call to Blackhawk or Texas Turbines could answer that. The availability of pilots was the other factor you mentioned. What model of King Air are we talking about?

Sorry for the late response. I forgot I commented on this thread.

Yes, from a safety standpoint a King Air is less forgiving than a Caravan if there is an engine out. Especially our A90 King Air (N100UE serial #136 I think) with upgraded engines and a shorter wingspan by 3ft on either side than similar King Airs (worse stall characteristics). There has been at least one instance in the last year or two from (Byron?) California where the jump pilot stalled the King Air on jump run and spun it, shearing off one of the horizontal stabilizers. I am not sure where we stand on the hot section hours for the engines at the moment, it is currently in a phase inspection as we speak. However even the Texas turbine Caravans are a decent bit slower than our King Air, I've ridden in them. As far as the equal load on the engines, I would bet it is within a few percent.

No apologies necessary and I wasn't trying to rain on the King Air. If I've got a favorite plane that would have to be the one. The quality, the class, the tradition, second to none. Like a lot of people I'm also a sucker for that other great skydiving bus, the Twin Otter, but it's usually overpriced IMO. I was just looking at it from a business standpoint and thinking about the 7,000 Hr TBO on a single 331-12 as opposed to two (great though they are) PT6's at 4,000 maybe. I think I've read somewhere that the 6A-140's on the newer EX Caravans can be extended to 6,000 Hrs in certain commercial operations. And a shortage of good King Air pilots as you point out. Just lots to think about. Are you all still running the -20 or -21 engines on the A90?

No apologies necessary and I wasn't trying to rain on the King Air. If I've got a favorite plane that would have to be the one. The quality, the class, the tradition, second to none. Like a lot of people I'm also a sucker for that other great skydiving bus, the Twin Otter, but it's usually overpriced IMO. I was just looking at it from a business standpoint and thinking about the 7,000 Hr TBO on a single 331-12 as opposed to two (great though they are) PT6's at 4,000 maybe. I think I've read somewhere that the 6A-140's on the newer EX Caravans can be extended to 6,000 Hrs in certain commercial operations. And a shortage of good King Air pilots as you point out. Just lots to think about. Are you all still running the -20 or -21 engines on the A90?

The Twin Otter is a good skydiving plane. Large capacity of jumpers. Roomy. Stable. STOL capabilities. The problem is they are fuel hogs and pretty much have a built in headwind. For the cost, you can get a King Air way, way cheaper. Most of them become jump planes after they reach the hours required to recertify and rebuild the pressurization system. Since we don't need that, we pick them up cheaper. I don't remember what engines we have on them, I just know they are upgraded and very powerful. They're engines off of a Twin Otter, though I can't tell you exactly which version they are.

-27 or -34's then. Both about 700 Hp. I'll bet that really does go! Must be a fun way of life. Enjoy these younger years of your life, it sounds like you're already treating it like the great adventure that it is. Good for you!

An Air India flight was diverted last week because the crew didn’t raise the landing gear. There were apparently lots of clues that something was terribly wrong but the A320 crew pressed on, climbing to 24,000 feet instead of the normal 35,000 to 37,000 feet and reaching only 230 knots as the plane gobbled huge amounts of fuel to beat the drag of the wheels. About 90 minutes into the flight from Kolkata to Mumbai, the fuel state demanded a diversion to Nagpur. They reportedly didn’t realize their error until they went to drop the gear for landing.

The pilots have been suspended pending an investigation by the airline. The aircraft was carrying 99 passengers who got to their destination after refueling in Nagpur.

I'm not a pilot. So perhaps Astro, or others who are, can help me in understanding how things like this can possibly happen? I can understand making mistakes because I've made them. I can understand moderate carelessness because at times I've been so. But how can certified pilots do such things?? Then there was Air France 447 that crashed because the pilot induced a stall for over 4 minutes! All he had to do was nose it over and he would have easily recovered. But instead he pancaked the aircraft with the yoke in his lap, all the way down from over 30,000 ft. to impact with the water. Yeah, his pitot tubes froze up. But don't these guys have even some stick and rudder skills that would allow them to feel the airplane, along with how it is acting? It just doesn't make sense how stuff like this can happen.

Then there was the Asiana Air 214 crash in San Francisco that landed short. There was nothing wrong with the airplane. The guy flat out didn't know how to land it. He stalled out and landed short. How did he ever get certified in that airplane? And while we're at it why didn't JFK Jr. look at his artificial horizon? It stares you right in the face on the instrument cluster on most every plane made. In all that instruction is it even possible someone never pointed it out to him? Or what it is for? Hard to believe he never even said, "What does this thing do?"

And then you have the other extreme. What I like to call the "Miracle Men". Guys like Sully, Al Haynes and Denny Finch, (United Sioux City crash, landing with zero hydraulics). I can't understand how there can be such a difference in talent in the left seat of these aircraft, that range from superstars, to idiots. We are all human. And we all make mistakes. But there are mistakes.... and then there are MISTAKES. And with so much at stake you wonder how such things can happen with supposedly skilled people who are in charge of hundreds of millions of dollars of airplane, and hundreds of peoples lives. (With the exception of Kennedy who snuffed 3 including his own). It's hard to make sense of it.

No doubt crew were Spartan grads.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
More Spartan grads in the cockpit is what we need.
grin2.gif

Would you mind explaining this?

In nearly every aviation thread, you mention Spartan grads...and I have no idea what you're talking about...it clearly means something to you, but I just don't get it...

I'm assuming he means Michigan State Spartans...I'm also assuming that MSU has a top notch aviation program...

PS: I just 'googled' it and the only university in Michigan offering an aviation program is Western Michigan U....so I assumed incorrectly....

Originally Posted By: pbm
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
More Spartan grads in the cockpit is what we need.
grin2.gif

Would you mind explaining this?

In nearly every aviation thread, you mention Spartan grads...and I have no idea what you're talking about...it clearly means something to you, but I just don't get it...

I'm assuming he means Michigan State Spartans...I'm also assuming that MSU has a top notch aviation program...

PS: I just 'googled' it and the only university in Michigan offering an aviation program is Western Michigan U....so I assumed incorrectly....

http://www.spartan.edu/

Originally Posted By: billt460
And just when you think these pilots couldn't get any dumber..... There is this.

I think that shows how dumb the media is...

In another thread, I said that I've yet to see the media report an aviation story accurately.

This just supports that observation...the names were a joke, a placeholder made up by a news intern, but the anchors ran with it...I guess all that makeup and hairspray damages your ability to think critically...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back