Photos of Supertech ST7317 (Honda V6) & ST3675 (GM V8) Used Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite generous of you, Ted.

cheers.gif

427ZO6,

A couple of EAO-13 oil filters for your Accord are on the way...expect to see them come in from the Dallas warehouse next week.

Please send me a PDF copy of the particle count data when you get it. I'd like a copy for my files....

thanx,

TS

427Z06...

Have you been doing oil analysis already on the engine? And particle counts to have a baseline for comparision?

Filterguy and 427Z06 working together on something that benefits all our knowledge banks is going to be
cheers.gif

Thanks for facilitating by donating the filters MS
patriot.gif

Ted, thanks for the update. And your request will be complied with.

Filterguy, UOAs have been done in the past but no particle counts. I will take reasonable steps to make the playing field as fair as possible, otherwise, I'd just be wasting my money now and in the future. Details will be included in the final report if not earlier.

Now we're getting somewhere. This should be good.
smile.gif
I enjoy seeing co-funded research on the end user level. Knowing 427Z06's high standards for validation of data ..there will be no "cough-cough" aspect to it. He's got no other agenda then the unvarnished truth.
smile.gif

Quote:

Were the results of this test ever posted? Sorry to bring this one back to life, but inquiring minds...

First half of the test is completed (SuperTech). Now testing the Ea0. Sorry, my commute is short these days and it takes a while to put on miles. Plus I wanted to run both during an equivalent period of seasonal temperatures. Expect to be completed by end of May.

PM me if you want initial results.

There's quite a difference in pleats - even though both illustrated are Supertechs. Engine designs are always different - so that may explain a density difference with filters from model-to-model.

A bit off topic here...

Bill, I made the executive decision to use M1, Amsoil or K&N filters ONLY as they have seriously heavy-duty containers. The Supertechs are great for the price, but have flimsy containters. Given that the 3.5L V6 Vue has the filter facing road elements, I'm not comfortable with using anything but a tough container.

Do you see this same issue or am I concerned about nothing here?

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
The Supertechs are great for the price, but have flimsy containters. Given that the 3.5L V6 Vue has the filter facing road elements, I'm not comfortable with using anything but a tough container.

Given that the Mobil and K&N filters are made from the same metal in the same factory as the SuperTech my thought would be you're worrying about nothing.

I can squeeze the Supertech can with my fingers and ruin it with a crescent wrench w/o much force applied. I can't do that with the other ones, they have a heartier can.

Originally Posted By: Dyoel182
The Supertechs are great for the price, but have flimsy containters. Given that the 3.5L V6 Vue has the filter facing road elements, I'm not comfortable with using anything but a tough container.

Given that the Mobil and K&N filters are made from the same metal in the same factory as the SuperTech my thought would be you're worrying about nothing.

They could be made from different gauge of steel sheet. Same factory does not mean same materials.

Thats true. My suggestion would be to squeeze an OEM can and see how it compares. I just tried flexing a 6607 and a 7317 with my fingers and didnt notice any give.

Originally Posted By: Dyoel182

Actually, you are very wrong in this statement. Mobil 1 & K&N have much thicker canisters, center tubes, and base plates than conventional filters. Mobil 1/ K&N burst pressure is 500 psi while the Supertech has a burst pressure of 350 psi. Also, Mobil 1 and N&N have a silicon adbv, but the Supertechs contain a nitrile adbv.

But should he be crushing the ST filter with his fingers and worrying about using it on a car?

If he's able to squeeze a Supertech filter then he must have bionic fingers. I used full force on one a could not get any movement. I've yet to hear any claims made to Champion on Supertechs bursting from outside forces while on a vehicle, and if a car would happen to operate at any pressure even close to 300 psi, then you have more serious problems on your hands than worrying about your oil filter.

LOL I don't have bionic fingers. I'm concerned about road debris vs can strength. Just a measure of safety given that the filter faces the elements directly unlike my other Saturn where the filter is mounted at a right angle up on the back side of the engine. Road debris isn't a concern for that application.

Well if your worried about the road debris, I would definitley go with the Mobil 1 or K&N. You can't beat their can strength

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back