People want dirty oil, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pontual
Basically you're saying this Public Forum(s) is ok to be under censorship and wording aprovals for so little? What's so wrong about the OP thread? Because he used his kitchen do boil some oil? What anybody has to do with it? He was trying to demonstrate what's darkens the oil. And me too, as in the engine perspective.
Rotulating a person as a troll and senseless would be, IMO, object of deletion and Ban.

That's Not nice! And I really hope that People who likes freedom, won't coadunate with your unfortunate opinion, Virgin.

I have my opinion and you have yours. Reread his post by his own admission his mother would come down on him harder than I have.

He said he is an experienced welder a supervisor in fact and well aware of the dangers of doing what was done.

A supervisor on public forum announcing this practice ??

These statements leave made twice and with all of his experience he thinks its humorous.

So you are encouraging these posts and experiments such as these ?

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: virginoil
Originally Posted By: Ihatetochangeoil
It didn't "combust." A little smoke, it turned black. I have spent hundreds of dollars on UOA and particle counts, read countless opinions on "soot" which mean nothing to a gasoline engine. http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/712/diesel-engine-oil-particle

Now I KNOW what it takes to turn new motor oil black. No speculation. Heat alone. Which is absolutely normal in an internal combustion engine. I PASSED the flash point and it didn't actually burn, just smoked. https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2880.pdf There was a source of heat, but NOT a source of ignition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_point Flash point is NOT to be confused with autoignition temperature.

Besides, the QUANTITY that I did was rather small. GASOLINE does not burn only because of heat. You need an IGNITION source. I didn't say I threw a match in it. A liquid past its flash point does NOT "spontaneously ignite;" without a source of ignition, it is CAPABLE of ignition. Yes, dangerous. BTW, I used to be a welder for a living; and I don't mean in the barn. Union Boilermaker, 6G certified with Inconel, F43.

I've never washed an engine in the bathtub, but when I was single, I kept my Harley in the living room. Didn't want it outside in the winter. Mom came home and got ****

Thanks for your interest. And maybe some humorous folks will watch for my next post. One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

Sober up here, you must admit it was dump experiment to prove what if you really did it?

Years ago there was a television advertisement for Mobil 1 oil being fried oil in a saucepan to demonstrate its resistance to oil thickening.

I am still in two minds whether we have a potential troll post here or just its just a plan to demonstrate stup..ty. In either event mission accomplished.

My post definitely written to discourage any new members to contemplating this as it is not BITOG practice to test nonsense and report back nonsense. There are labs set up for this sort of stuff.

If the OP is silly enough to post this then I guess the OP is prepared to receive the treatment it deserves IMO.

If some feel this is too hard on the OP then it should be posted or moved into the Humor Forum or Off Topic forum where it cannot be taken seriously.

I will be watching for your next troll post if it is similar nonsense to what is posted here I HOPE the MODS delete it before it can be read.

He lives at home with his mom,as he cites his vast knowledge in reading countless used oil analysis'.
And does this in his mothers kitchen and home.
Really respectful.

He did it in her kitchen against her wishes and his mum provides him a home.

He quotes references to oils to show he is knowledgeable.

He claims vast experience in UOAs and then resorts to a test such as this.

These statements lead me to think there are more questions than answers here. He threw a match.... states it dangerous and then wants to humor the forum.

Who is NOT showing respect ?

Yeah we need to lighten up but in this instance I am not sure.

As Clevy posted really respectful.

Last edited:
Basically you're saying this Public Forum(s) is ok to be under censorship and wording aprovals for so little? What's so wrong about the OP thread? Because he used his kitchen do boil some oil? What anybody has to do with it? He was trying to demonstrate what's darkens the oil. And me too, as in the engine perspective.
Rotulating a person as a troll and senseless would be, IMO, object of deletion and Ban.

That's Not nice! And I really hope that People who likes freedom, won't coadunate with your unfortunate opinion, Virgin.

I have my opinion and you have yours. Reread his post by his own admission his mother would come down on him harder than I have.

He said he is an experienced welder a supervisor in fact and well aware of the dangers of doing what was done.

These statements leave made twice and with all of his experience he thinks its humorous.

OK, let me ask you a question, are you a lawyer, politician, or work for the government?

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

OK, let me ask you a question, are you a lawyer, politician, or work for the government?

Why ? What don't you understand in my posts ?

BTW my response to the post was not about freedom of speech which is a clear distraction to distort what I have said.

One other question how old are you ?

Last edited:
My Jeep makes oil look dirty pretty quick. I had the valve cover off last month and the internals were clean with the exception of a bit of varnish. I have about 750 miles on my current fill and the oil is dark.

Not trying to toot my own horn, but compared to a few of the 4.0 internals I've seen online, mine is pretty spotless. My Jeep isnt "wheeled" though so perhaps that has something to do with it.

I do 10K OCIs and my oil never gets black. Just a dark amber color. Also the engines appears to be like new clean through the OFH.

Originally Posted By: CrawfishTails
I agree with this concept. It is the heat from ring pack area at shut down that mostly cooks the oil and darkens it by oxidation. And that's why I always idle for a minute or two before shutting it down. Nothing dumb about empiric testing like that. This kind of curiosity is healthy, appart from the kitchen area.

I don't see how idling a minute or two will keep oil out of the rings. Its still being thrown/splashed up there.

But it gives the pistons time to cool so the oil won't cook in the ring belt after the engine is shut off.

Where can I find some UOAs on oil that was black in colour?

So far I found the Saturn where it was never changed and the 26k Lincoln.

Endorsing declarations deletion is a way to go? Talking about distortion, well, Just because the guy admitted he lives with his mother, some here clearly got that as totally inaceptable and felt in the position to make depreciative comments making overracted moral argumentation, electing his behavior as a joke and still bringing the fact to make predivulgated laughing over their poker tables. Sincerely!
BTW, I'm a 47 years old Lawyer.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Quote:

Turbo timers in decade+ old turbo cars, maybe. Every modern turbo that I know of is coolant-cooled, and will continue to be cooled after shutdown due to natural circulation of coolant (requires no motive force other than temperature differentials.)

Which will not do nearly as much for the engine's ring pack as having the engine's entire cooling system active and circulating by the pumps.

Coolant cooled turbos have been around for a long time, and they coke oil as well as anything.

Quote:
As far as idling to cooldown, I don't subscribe to that logic, only because I've never been in a situation where I immediately stopped and parked the car after running it any appreciable load. Going to work, I engine-brake at a slight downgrade, giving minor blips of the throttle to keep at the speed limit. Coming home, I engine-brake up to the turn into the neighborhood and then drive for a minute+ at neighborhood speeds before parking.

Even when I drive up to the Gunks, I have to wait for at least a minute after boosting uphill to get access to the parking area, and then it's another minute to find a spot and shut'er down. I'll admit that if I felt a little froggy and was driving aggressively before parking, I'd still idle for an additional 10-20 seconds, but not much more than that.

The only time I've idled, was after an auto-cross, but that was more because it was cold as heck and I wanted to keep the temp up between runs.

I've read that some have experienced bubbling or boiling into the turbo reservoir after a hot shutdown, but I've never experienced this, even after intentionally shutting down after getting off the highway and shutting it down immediately, and then opening the hood and listening.

You don't subscribe to that logic, just because of the way that you personally use your vehicle? Ok then. Well it must all be complete [censored], because if you never encounter any conditions where you're parking a heat soaked vehicle,,then nobody is, anywhere.

I not only posted my opinion, but qualified it with my logic for doing what I do. I never said anything about anyone else, though my driving style probably does apply to most other drivers I know, so...

I've also not personally experienced, and I don't know any one who has experienced, a coked up turbo that wasn't the result of some other fault, such as a clogged up turbo oil supply strainer (the infamous Subaru turbo banjo filter, specifically.)

I'd go further to say that, IMO, most people drive similarly to me, and when they excessively idle their cars to warm them up or cool them down, they're doing so to make themselves feel better and I don't just mean A/C-wise. No one I learned from growing up had the reason you do, but I was still taught that warming a car up and cooling it down after, say, a long highway trip was required no matter what.

The only guys I ever knew who had turbo timers had them on coolant-cooled turbo-charged vehicles, and only had them, because it was cool to lock the door and walk away with the car still running, answering smugly, "I know..." to anyone who tried reminding them that they forgot to turn their car off. To my knowledge, the time they spent putting around town far exceeded any romping they did, let alone hot-lapping to the point of needing any kind of cooldown whatsoever.

Just my experience. YMMV
11.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back