People that don't watch TV are weird???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I enjoy tv
I think getting all your news and movies from a little computer screen is silly
You're trading in one boob tube for another

You can't get ANY real news from TV, at least the big 3. It's all sensationalized feel good [censored] with no analysis or questioning of big topics. It's basically spoon fed scripts from the government when it comes to important topics. Then they throw in the obligatory dog rescued from ice stories...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
You can't get ANY real news from TV, at least the big 3. It's all sensationalized feel good [censored] with no analysis or questioning of big topics. It's basically spoon fed scripts from the government when it comes to important topics. Then they throw in the obligatory dog rescued from ice stories...

I think its also spoon fed scripts from commercial interests as well. Keep everyone striving to be happy consumers working hard on hamster wheel.

I enjoy TV for entertainment value.

I'm 71, crippled, heart condition, no longer able to do much constructive, soooooo, I now watch TV.

Hundreds of movies available "On Demand", news available on FOX, life is still good.

Wow, I didn't expect so many responses from this thread.

-As far as me giving the TVs away, I had the old tube style units and I figured at some point that I'll upgrade to LCDs (very low priority), so I think they are best served with someone that will actually use them.

-I do not have a superiority complex over people that watch TV.

-Not sure if I understood this correctly, but I don't watch TV for the purpose of reinforcing my gender. It was a reference to the fact that the demographic I fall under is only for a few channels and shows, which others have mentioned in this thread. Simply stated that I am not the targeted audience for reality TV shows, such as Real Housewives of {Fill in the blank}.

-The coworker was an older female, so yes that probably had a lot to do with the 'weird' comment.

-If getting my news from a 'little computer screen' is silly, what adjective would you use to describe me reading news and watching movies on my cell phone?

-I am a bit embarrassed to say this, but we are all family here....As far as news outlets are concerned with regards to news outlets and the idiot box reference, I once dated a female that was against anyone looking at homeownership because (according to her) some news outlet mentioned that it was not a good idea. She said that it was a bass ackwards thing for anyone to do. I kid you not. She was not able to decipher that the news outlet was targeting a certain demographic with whatever statement they made.

My facial expression after hearing that statement come out of her mouth: Priceless.

And just to make it clear, my intention for this thread in no way is to insult people that watch TV. Over the years, it has simply become something that I've done less and less to the point to where it's a plain rarity for me to do so. I am just curious as to how other people feel about it.

I pay directv about 30 dollars per month for their semi basic HD package in two rooms.

I mostly watch the local affiliates while I am getting dressed for work.

I could not get them over the air reliably where I live, so it is worth 30 bucks a month to me.

I do not watch movies sports or anything, just mostly news and weather.

As far as cable and satellite is concerned, if they were to give the customer a choice to select 30 channels or so instead of pre-programmed packages, at that point, I would probably come back to the table.

I have never watched any movie or tv show on my phone
I cant see that as a pleasant experience
I think its cause I'm an old guy

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Don't watch TV are not weird. Giving it away because you don't watch it is a bit weird.

+1

Never know when you might actually need it...

To say that one does not watch TV because there is only garbage on it is no different than saying one doesn't use/do.....alcohol, sex,religion,food,exercise,sports,whatever....because there is so much garbage associated with it.

You can enjoy everything above to enrich your life or you can abuse the same things and trash your life.

Regarding TV, at BITOG it does seem that many non-TV viewers portray a bit of self righteousness. I don't get it. I could make the same argument about craft beer drinking, or obsessive environmentalists, etc..

I enjoy a bit of television. I like movies, very occasional sports (usually local teams), some diy shows, nature, history. Seeing images of 911 and similar distasteful things keeps me in touch with reality a bit.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I enjoy tv
I think getting all your news and movies from a little computer screen is silly
You're trading in one boob tube for another

Youtube is the new age boob tube. You pay for content in one way or another. Internet is not free. There are ads on Youtube, ......

I've seen people at the gym who think they are working out, but really are just watching TV on a walk.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
I would never say weird. However a bragging right to not watch TV is weird too.

Sort of like people who talk about going to the gym.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
I've seen people at the gym who think they are working out, but really are just watching TV on a walk.

Thats still better than sitting on a couch and watching TV.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: bradepb
Originally Posted By: Miller88
My problem is Netflix. So many good shows on there.

Rockford Files, Columbo, Emergency!, Adam-12, Dragnet, MacGyver ...

Yep me too! Never realized Jimbo had a different dad in the first episode until recently either.

I liked the updated father better. Lol.

And his truck!

Jim can drive that leaf sprung truck pretty well. As long as he refills it with premium fuel.

My problem is Netflix. So many good shows on there.

Rockford Files, Columbo, Emergency!, Adam-12, Dragnet, MacGyver ...

Yep me too! Never realized Jimbo had a different dad in the first episode until recently either.

And his truck!

Jim can drive that leaf sprung truck pretty well. As long as he refills it with premium fuel.

I dont remember this one. Lol.

Originally Posted By: javacontour

Thats still better than sitting on a couch and watching TV.
smile.gif

Not if you can not walk to start with.

And his truck!

I dont remember this one. Lol.

There's a few episodes in the first season where he gets in chases with the truck!

The dukes of Hazzard remind me a lot of rockford files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back