What are your phobias?

Please don’t let stuff in the news get in the way of enjoying your life as hard as that can be for people with a fear of flying.

I have been flying for 40 years, I wouldn’t hesitate, not for one second, to fly on any Boeing aircraft.

I would avoid certain airlines that operate Airbus ( other countries….even then, very few ) more than worrying about whether your next flight will be in any Boeing.

I am approaching the end of my career ( 22 years on Airbus ) , and might be switching over to the B777 ( best long haul flying at my airline….most productive ).

Pilots love the B777, and 787 ( not the 737 but that’s only because of the smaller cockpit versus A320 ) at my airline.

Enjoy life, please do not worry about stuff like that.

The media thrive on scaring people.
Thank you for that, stuff like this is good to hear from those actually in the industry.

My other one is really strange. I don’t like to see many small holes or indentations grouped close together. I’ve seen pictures of wood that was used by woodpeckers (I think) were they bored in holes and stored acorns in the indent. Photos of that wood makes me squirm and so does seeing or handling things like corncobs and sunflower flower heads after all the seeds are removed. Totally irrational but I can’t shake it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trypophobia and you're not alone. There must have been an evolutionary advantage at one point, people avoiding disease mostly likely.

I will go with that David Bowie song: "i`m afraid of Americans"

Not all, just some of them.

Last edited:
Please don’t let stuff in the news get in the way of enjoying your life as hard as that can be for people with a fear of flying.

I have been flying for 40 years, I wouldn’t hesitate, not for one second, to fly on any Boeing aircraft.

I would would avoid certain airlines that operate Airbus ( other countries….even then, very few ) more than worrying about whether your next flight will be in any Boeing.

I am approaching the end of my career ( 22 years on Airbus ) , and might be switching over to the B777 ( best long haul flying at my airline….most productive ).

Pilots love the B777, and 787 ( not the 737 but that’s only because of the smaller cockpit versus A320 ) at my airline.

Enjoy life, please do not worry about stuff like that.

The media thrive on scaring people.
I love flying. Every second , from boarding the plane, the push back, the safety breifing starting the engines , the taxi , the engine run up the time before rotation, the view out of the window when climbing, the criuse, the food and the nice flight attendants the descent the landing and taxis and the deplaning . Love the planes hate the airport.

Last edited:
No problem with heights like up in a jet, in a skyscraper or at scenic overlooks with fence around you, but... I once took a intro plane ride the flying schools offered back in the day on one of them small planes where the wing is above you and you pretty much see everything open up beneath you. First and last time I did that and never had a desire to learn flying again.

Heights. Sticking my fingers into a fishes gills, that just creeps me out for some reason. I would rather play with snakes over doing that.

Bugs (well, specifically ugly ones). There's a story going around about me using a .45 to shoot a massive wolf spider that was in my tree stand. I will neither confirm nor deny this supposition, but there is a hole in one of the tree stand roof supports.

Expelled human fluids. Nope. Nope nope nope. If someone blows their nose during dinner, I can't eat for a day. Opposite of that, I've finished breakfast while field dressing a deer, no problem.

Well, thanks. After reading all of this I'm now terrified of coming down with a phobia. Phobophobia.

Last edited:
Heights!!!! But flying has never bothered me. Tiny airplanes or big jets, I'm ok.
Driving across the Bay bridge in Maryland makes my knees hurt.
On top of a high building or at the edge of a cliff a voice in my head says "Jump".
So far I haven't listened to the voice.

I have a fear of (or at least a strong dislike for) walking through grass because I'm convinced I'm going to step in dog poop. If I walk through grass somewhere, the first thing I do when I step off is to check my shoes for dookie. My wife thinks it's weird but that's her problem. I once tracked poop into my apartment and another time into my car. I was disgusted and LIVID.

Wife loves skydiving (tandem) but hates going over bridges over the water in the car. Makes me move over from the outer lane. I tried to explain to her that it would be better to bump the guardrail from the slow lane than to get pushed out of the fast lane and hit the rail with more momentum. I had no problem jumping out of the plane, it actually was very peaceful for me, but like someone posted those people standing on the edge of a cliff makes me very nervous, or worse those Russian kids doing backflips on old planks and buildings WAY up high.

Outdoor heights, especially while driving narrow highways with curves that have deep drop-offs at the shoulder of the road.

Another is Elevators. I literally can feel my oxygen level drop the moment the elevator doors shut and it begins moving up or down.

Supernatural stuff..... and yes it exists - with me anyways. It's things I see, hear, feel and smell, that are not shared by anyone else with me at the time. It's not every day occurrences and not even every week. The most bizarre form of it is really rare (telepathy) and a vast majority of the time it's in my sleep.
(Example) Buying jewelry from Ebay - then wearing it to bed. I sometimes get to find out who owned it prior. That person may be alive or dead and even associated another continent. A couple times the deceased seller takes me thru their own death experience - I get to re-live it ......like falling off a ledge......etc.
Once impact occurs, I wake up. I even get to listen to their dialect, as they explain it. I find out who's Irish - who's Middle East or who's Polish.

Happens with jewelry and with used clothing that's purchased - then worn to bed.

Last edited:
Bugs (well, specifically ugly ones). There's a story going around about me using a .45 to shoot a massive wolf spider that was in my tree stand. I will neither confirm nor deny this supposition, but there is a hole in one of the tree stand roof supports.

Expelled human fluids. Nope. Nope nope nope. If someone blows their nose during dinner, I can't eat for a day. Opposite of that, I've finished breakfast while field dressing a deer, no problem.
1710433583849.jpg

One of my friends older brother was a Gunny and even as a teen the abuse was interesting .

Mine always looked angry, even when he was smiling. I don't think I've ever seen anybody look angry and laugh at the same time!

Back