Penz Plat 5w30, 5k, 07' Corvette - very high iron

Status
Not open for further replies.
No MMO unless you pulled a valve cover off. The God of oils for Pennzoil Is probably 10W 30 Ultra Platinum with it's super low 5.7% NOACK. But give this other Pennzoil a try.

I don't think you need to reinvent the wheel here, your engine should have better numbers with the oil you've been using. With that said, I know quite a bit about these engines and have some questions.

Is this engine tuned or modded at all? How often do you go wide open throttle? Do you make sure your oil temp is above a certain degree before doing so?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
That's actually another really great idea, I second the royal purple oils that have synerlec

Is synerlec the purple stuff in Royal Purple? Any proof it works? Or just Mystery Fluff again? Any evidence at all? Maybe a shred?

Before recommending something, at least have a reason.

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: AndrewPro
I have the god of all oils going in it next, 0w40 Penzs Ultra.
Not impressed with VOA/UOAs I've seen that oil (Pennz Ultra 0w40), certainly not to the point of calling it the 'god' (or even minor deity) of anything. Its possible its got great anti-wear in an additive pack that doesn't show up on simple analyses, but my guess is that its really just a 40-weight version of their 20- and 30-weight A1/B1 oils.

Pennzoil Ultra 0w-40 has a lot of moly (275 ppm), possibly even the trimer moly from Infineum, in a large enough amount it starts to have AW benefits on top of the usual FM benefits. (Chrysler engineers were touting extra moly in it for their SRT engines a while back.) Also, Pennz has an ad campaign with it being used in racing BMW's. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3922550/Re:_BMW_Motorsports_uses_0w-40
Therefore, use it! That oil is no slouch.

Below is a link to a quick VO analysis of PU SRT 0w40. I wouldn't call it a "bad" oil, but its not on a par with a Euro-spec A3/B3 like M1 0w40, or better yet a racing oil, "street/strip" oil, or HDEO. PU 0w40 SRT is very targeted at a (healthy) Chrysler Hemi v8 (392 or Hellcat) with rollerized everything that's pretty easy on oil. It wouldn't even exist if SOPUS hadn't gotten the contract to provide oils to FCA, they'd just have their Euro 5w40 and their A1/B1 20-and 30-weights for the US market and Dexos applications. If you are addressing an apparent wear problem in a different engine, I simply think you should take a bigger swing at it than this oil provides by going for an oil with more ZDDP, that is if you can't find and mechanically fix whatever is wrong.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2961485/Pennzoil_Ultra_0w40_/_SRT,_API

Originally Posted By: Toaster_Jer
You could talk to Pablo and get his take on this. Amsoil has saved my butt many of times over the years. Also Quaker State has an impressive QSUD 5w-30 right now.

http://www.pqiadata.org/QuakerState5W30dexos.html

Quaker changed its formula for the SN full-syn from a couple of years ago. Interesting their moly content now looks Pennz Ultra's high moly (cousin SOPUS product).

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
Is synerlec the purple stuff in Royal Purple? Any proof it works? Or just Mystery Fluff again? Any evidence at all? Maybe a shred?

The non-API stuff, in addition to different additive levels, should also have a higher HTHS, which is another difference. But, I'm certainly not convinced we're seeing a problem that exists because of oil choice, or can be fixed by a switch in oil, either.

That the 800lb gorilla in the room not being talked about, bearing shells through to the copper, crank wear due to a possible bad thrust bearing, cylinder or cam damage etc.
What the heck, hail Mary pass with the oil and see, then tear it down.

Bingo. Any problem is quite unlikely to be solved by the oil, but as you say, a Hail Mary pass can't hurt. But, the easiest way to chase UOA results is to quit doing UOAs.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
That the 800lb gorilla in the room not being talked about, bearing shells through to the copper, crank wear due to a possible bad thrust bearing, cylinder or cam damage etc.
What the heck, hail Mary pass with the oil and see, then tear it down.

His copper numbers are about 50% below average. I'm wondering if he's getting a little light detonation and doesn't know it, probably would produce higher lead count though. Come to think of it I don't think I've seen any performance LS engine UOAs with the newer formula Pennzoil Platinum. OP, I would return that Pennzoil and use M1 Ow40 in your next fill, really, if you're going to try something different get something different.

Excessive crankshaft end play seems to be a common enough complaint on this engine, if this is a manual transmission i suspect the chances are even greater. End play could cause more wear in the cylinders also.
I'm not sure if the oil cooler is copper core or not. Your right, detonation issues could really cause higher values also.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Bingo. Any problem is quite unlikely to be solved by the oil, but as you say, a Hail Mary pass can't hurt. But, the easiest way to chase UOA results is to quit doing UOAs.
wink.gif

That's true, what can you you do other then change the oil and hope for the best?
If the numbers don't go down there is no point in worrying about it every time you drive the car. There is a lot to be said for just forgetting it and let it pop if its going to then deal with it, if its bottom end related its going to need a tear down anyway.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Excessive crankshaft end play seems to be a common enough complaint on this engine, if this is a manual transmission i suspect the chances are even greater. End play could cause more wear in the cylinders also.
I'm not sure if the oil cooler is copper core or not. Your right, detonation issues could really cause higher values also.

In my time around the LS engine scene, on the forums, around a friends shop that caters specifically to this platform, I've never heard anything about issues with crankshaft end-play on the LS2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back