Pentastar V6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I absolutely love the Pentastar and 6spd auto in our 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan. In regards to V6 full sized pickups, I too would have recommended a GM product (having owned several V6 chevy half tons), but if the interior config is out for you, I'd have no problem buying a Pentastar powered Ram.

I've mentioned it many times. Out of the 3 minivans we've owned (Ford, Honda and now Dodge), this is by far my favorite powertrain in terms of power, feel and economy. It's pretty funny, but this Grand Caravan is the most powerful vehicle I've owned yet.

We have a pentastar in a 14 Durango. IIRC the durango is heavier than a base Ram. It has 3:39? rear gear. It pulls the Durango very well. I like the motor and trans combo a lot. It's a family car for us so I don't use it as a hot rod(obviously), but it will easily hit 100mph and surprising quickly. I've towed ~2000 lbs and it had no issues.

It's not a hot rod, but it's far from a slug. It's a great commuter engine, so far. ~14,000 miles. I would have no problems with it in a truck that doesn't haul heavy loads.

Assuming the truck is a reasonable configuration, i.e. not a super mega sextuple cab, a Pentastar should be just fine for any work truck. Its almost 300 hp you know.

I have the very similar 3.7L Ford on a regular cab 4X2. I've hauled 1200 pounds in the bed, no problem. I've never towed with it, but my sense is it would tow up to maybe 3500 pounds, all day, every day, no problem, with the proper towing set up. Probably more, for occasional use. Beyond that, or with a large configuration, and you would probably want the Hemi.

It shouldn't be too hard to find a regular cab. They are sold every day as work trucks. I know the Ford has quite a lot of room behind the seats--enough to store a tool box, or an acoustic guiar case. I assume the Dodge is the same way. Sometimes the Dodges get real competitive on price. I saw them around $19K about this time last year.

I wouldn't worry about the "angry hornet" sound under load. Its a little bizarre to have a truck that sounds kinda like an F-1 car, but really, what difference does it make?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
I wouldn't worry about the "angry hornet" sound under load. Its a little bizarre to have a truck that sounds kinda like an F-1 car, but really, what difference does it make?

It's quite surreal to hear a smooth and high-revving V-6 engine screaming away under the hood of a Jeep Wrangler! My dad briefly owned a Pentastar-powered JK, and the sound of a 4-cam V-6 at 6,500 rpm was certainly out of place in a rock crawler with 35s.

The only thing the Pentastar has against it in the conventional sense is its high-revving nature. The engine really needs rpm to make power. Not a problem for some (I personally love high revvers), but it'll be different from what some are used to in a truck. But it's not worse...just different.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

It's quite surreal to hear a smooth and high-revving V-6 engine screaming away under the hood of a Jeep Wrangler! My dad briefly owned a Pentastar-powered JK, and the sound of a 4-cam V-6 at 6,500 rpm was certainly out of place in a rock crawler with 35s.

The only thing the Pentastar has against it in the conventional sense is its high-revving nature. The engine really needs rpm to make power. Not a problem for some (I personally love high revvers), but it'll be different from what some are used to in a truck. But it's not worse...just different.

It does take a lot of getting used to having an engine that needs to rev to make power. I prefer high torque low rpm engines, but I'm old school.

I'm a torque guy as well, but hey, the revvers actually work OK sometimes. Drove a Chryaler 200 and a Grand Caravan with a 3.6, I was very impressed.

I'm intrigued by this thread...we were considering trading our Kia for a Chrysler Town and Country, but it'd be a 2011, first year with redesigned interior and Pentastar V6, to stay within budget. May have to back off of that and look into a Honda Odyssey...

Originally Posted By: Jcp123
I'm a torque guy as well, but hey, the revvers actually work OK sometimes. Drove a Chryaler 200 and a Grand Caravan with a 3.6, I was very impressed.

I'm intrigued by this thread...we were considering trading our Kia for a Chrysler Town and Country, but it'd be a 2011, first year with redesigned interior and Pentastar V6, to stay within budget. May have to back off of that and look into a Honda Odyssey...

I'd stay clear of the Odyssey.
27.gif

I would also make sure if you buy a Pentastar powered mini-van that you get one that either had the left cylinder head replaced, or go with a 2013 or newer when the cylinder head issue was ironed out with the 'AC' head revision.

I waited it out with the Wranglers because of that, and was hoping the 2016 Wrangler would not get the PUG upgrade. If I can find out for sure that the 2016 won't get the updated engine I'll buy, if not it will be a 2015 for me.

Good luck with your purchase.

May have to back off of that and look into a Honda Odyssey...

Or a Toyota Sienna.

Really, each of the "big three" in minivans is a great choice. The Chrysler's Pentastar cylinder head issues are a thing of the past (as long as you have the 'AC' head as noted above), the Odyssey's transmission has been solid for a decade now, and the Sienna has always been a reliable option. Whichever van works the best for you is what you should buy. I honestly can't tell you which one I'd buy if I had to buy a new van today.

I think I'd be leaning hard towards a $17-20k Caravan over a $28k+ oddy or sienna! Especially since the drivetrains are essentially equal now.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

It does take a lot of getting used to having an engine that needs to rev to make power. I prefer high torque low rpm engines, but I'm old school.

You're liking the instant torque you feel at low RPM when punching it. That why VW advertised this directly for their diesel cars in TV ads. In city traffic (low-medium speeds) there's nothing like faster response.

Originally Posted By: CrawfishTails
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

You're liking the instant torque you feel at low RPM when punching it. That why VW advertised this directly for their diesel cars in TV ads. In city traffic (low-medium speeds) there's nothing like faster response.

That and if I have to tow something I don't have to floor it to make power.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I think I'd be leaning hard towards a $17-20k Caravan over a $28k+ oddy or sienna! Especially since the drivetrains are essentially equal now.

It's hard to believe the Honda and Toyota both START at nearly $29,000! On the Dodge website, the Grand Caravan starts at $21,395. I'm sure all three brands offer local deals/incentives to some degree.

Before Dodge's interior and powertrain and suspension upgrades a few years ago, I wouldn't have paid much attention to the then-current vans (they drove like whales and the interiors were very cheap). But in their current state, and from reading how they now drive, I think they're a fantastic value.

'13 and up T&C is gonna be too spendy.

I too was wanting to steer clear of the Ody, I have heard too many transmission issues, though I'm told after '05 or so that they have mostly ironed those problems out.

My Ma had a Sienna...it was terrible. Left a really bad taste in my mouth. The later models are plain unattractive, so I'm leaving them off my list for now.

Kia Sedona is a bit of a dark horse...having sat in a couple of them, they just seem very blah. Not considering these either but I keep an eye out because if I figure I have a better chance of finding a bargain, it may yet be worth it.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: IndyIan

It's hard to believe the Honda and Toyota both START at nearly $29,000! On the Dodge website, the Grand Caravan starts at $21,395. I'm sure all three brands offer local deals/incentives to some degree.

Before Dodge's interior and powertrain and suspension upgrades a few years ago, I wouldn't have paid much attention to the then-current vans (they drove like whales and the interiors were very cheap). But in their current state, and from reading how they now drive, I think they're a fantastic value.

+1 They've come a long way.

Assuming the truck is a reasonable configuration, i.e. not a super mega sextuple cab, a Pentastar should be just fine for any work truck. Its almost 300 hp you know.

I have the very similar 3.7L Ford on a regular cab 4X2. I've hauled 1200 pounds in the bed, no problem. I've never towed with it, but my sense is it would tow up to maybe 3500 pounds, all day, every day, no problem, with the proper towing set up. Probably more, for occasional use. Beyond that, or with a large configuration, and you would probably want the Hemi.

It shouldn't be too hard to find a regular cab. They are sold every day as work trucks. I know the Ford has quite a lot of room behind the seats--enough to store a tool box, or an acoustic guiar case. I assume the Dodge is the same way. Sometimes the Dodges get real competitive on price. I saw them around $19K about this time last year.

I'm going to have to order one. Around here they have a lot of $40k-$60k trucks, and a couple base fleet specials with no options. A lightly optioned 4x4 regular cab simply does not exist. But most truck buyers in my area are white collar, and might be coming from say an X5. In more rural areas you get dealers with actual trucks set up for workers and farmers on the lots, but I'm not driving 300 miles for a truck.

I could get a 2015 F150 with the Z plan but I think the new ones are ugly and they are PITA to order since they are so new. I have also never seen a 2015 regular cab and I expect our local dealers are not going to even stock the base trucks until the end of the year.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CrawfishTails

Gasoline engines can be responsive too, and quick at that. But many these days have significantly delayed responses, including the likes of Honda. Toyota is actually better in my experience for quick response to electronic go-pedal input.

The old Nissan VQ30DE is an example of a cable throttle engine designed for a quick response you could feel. It was no torque monster, but it was good enough to provide some gratification. In contrast, I've driven other people's 2008 and 2012 Honda Accords enough that I can't stand their terrible delayed throttle response, and yes I drove them when they were nearly new as well as later.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

I'm going to have to order one. Around here they have a lot of $40k-$60k trucks, and a couple base fleet specials with no options. A lightly optioned 4x4 regular cab simply does not exist. But most truck buyers in my area are white collar, and might be coming from say an X5. In more rural areas you get dealers with actual trucks set up for workers and farmers on the lots, but I'm not driving 300 miles for a truck.

I could get a 2015 F150 with the Z plan but I think the new ones are ugly and they are PITA to order since they are so new. I have also never seen a 2015 regular cab and I expect our local dealers are not going to even stock the base trucks until the end of the year.

You might try to find a dealer specializing in fleet/commercial/work trucks.

I too was wanting to steer clear of the Ody, I have heard too many transmission issues, though I'm told after '05 or so that they have mostly ironed those problems out.

They're fine after the 2005 era. Our 2005 MDX has the upgraded transmission. And it weighs 4,500 pounds. And it has 120k miles. Runs like a champ.

A lot of people make like the Pentastar or the 3.7 Ford are Alfa Romeo engines. That's an exaggeration. They have reasonable torque curves, but you definitely know you have a high output v6 under load. In real life, the transmission which had learned your commuting lifestyle is the performance issue when suddenly placed under heavy load.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back